uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

1 edit

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel

I have a friend who has a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins Diesel. They replaced the 2 batteries in it 2 weeks ago, and the next day the passanger side battery blew the lid, and spilt battery acid. We returned the batteries to WalMart and got ones with Higher crank amps. Now, the Check Engine Light is on, and it has 3 codes. P2609, P2509 and P1740. All connections are tight, everything is intact, and the new batteries are working fine. I tried resetting the codes, but the light stays on. Any ideas? The batteries are Everstar Maxx from Walmart
--
No Victim=No Crime

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

Maybe the spilled acid caused damage to wiring you didn't notice. One thing i would do different would be not to buy a Walmart battery. They are made for Walmart and sold at a cheap price which indicates to me that corners are probably cut to keep the price down. I've had to use on a couple of times over the years when I've had a battery bite the dust at night or on a Sunday when other options were not available. They never last as long as a brand name. The same goes for the auto chain store brands.

My mechanic only sells Interstate batteries because over time they have shown him the best results and after using them I must agree with him.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to billydunwood

P0209 Injector 9 Control Circuit

* 2509 code is set when one or both batteries are weak or dead.
Or
P2509 has a TSB 18-001-07 which is a flash
This is where I got the 2509 info:
»dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-cummi···509.html
* The rest came from Allpar.
P1740 Torque Reduction Signal Circuit: Overdrive and TCC Solenoid Rationality

Al Steier wrote that P1740 is a Chrysler-only code. On RE transmissions, the computer was looking for a drop in engine speed after the overdrive solenoid or torque converter clutch were applied; since lockup comes in fourth gear, it doesn’t know whether the rpm drop is due to moving to overdrive or locking the torque converter. If a truck shows P1740 is probably has one of two problems: a bad overdrive or torque converter solenoid, or bad torque converter material so that the torque converter clutch cannot hold lockup.

Original is at Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep Computer Error Codes »www.allpar.com/fix/computer-code···H9YUwCg7
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

xj31

join:2005-09-25
Lake Villa, IL

said by Snakeoil:

* 2509 code is set when one or both batteries are weak or dead.
Or
P2509 has a TSB 18-001-07 which is a flash
This is where I got the 2509 info:
»dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-cummi···509.html
* The rest came from Allpar.
P1740 Torque Reduction Signal Circuit: Overdrive and TCC Solenoid Rationality

Al Steier wrote that P1740 is a Chrysler-only code. On RE transmissions, the computer was looking for a drop in engine speed after the overdrive solenoid or torque converter clutch were applied; since lockup comes in fourth gear, it doesn’t know whether the rpm drop is due to moving to overdrive or locking the torque converter. If a truck shows P1740 is probably has one of two problems: a bad overdrive or torque converter solenoid, or bad torque converter material so that the torque converter clutch cannot hold lockup.

Original is at Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep Computer Error Codes »www.allpar.com/fix/computer-code···H9YUwCg7
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

Injector 9? Seriously?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I got that from the code page.

»www.obd-codes.com/p0209

quote:
What does that mean?

P0209 means that the PCM detected a fault in the injector or the wiring to the injector. It monitors the injector and when the injector is activated, the PCM expects to see the voltage pulled "low" or close to zero. When the injector is switched off, the PCM expects to see a voltage that is close to battery voltage or "high". If it doesn't see the expected voltage the PCM will set this code. The PCM also monitors resitance in the circuit. If the resistance is excessively low or high it will set this code.
Potential Symptoms

The symptoms for this code will likely be a misfire and a rough running engine. Poor acceleration. The MIL will also be illuminated.

Could be that the batteries popping like they did burnt a few wires.

Original link:
»www.allpar.com/fix/computer-code···H9YUwCg7

code quote, you'll have to scroll to see the code.
quote:

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood

Are you sure its P0209? If so, you have a significant issue, most likely related to battery acid getting where it should not be. The P0209 as noted is a problem with the injector control circuit for Cylinder #9 which you don't have, as the 5.9L Cummins is a 6-cylinder.

Most false codes such as this are indicative of a serious problem with the Engine Control Module and/or its wiring harness. You're going to need to do some deep troubleshooting to prove out the issue, and visually be able to inspect the harnesses involved. It will likely get out of DIY territory pretty fast...

billydunwood

united state

I just fixed it, sorry guys. It was P2609, P2509 and P1740
--
No Victim=No Crime

S k i p p y
La de frickin da
Premium
join:2003-10-03
Lurking

said by billydunwood:

I just fixed it, sorry guys. It was P2609, P2509 and P1740

P2609 - No voltage drop from intake heater. The ECM didn't see the heater cycle.
P2509 - Intermittent ECM/PCM power input signal.
P1740 - Sorry no idea. Only know Cummins specific codes. It isn't on my list.

You sure one battery didn't get hooked up backwards? Sounds like something fried or shorted from the acid maybe.

EDIT: Not sure on the B series but the M, N, ISM, ISX, ghost codes can happen from things like this and can sometimes be hard to reset.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

From »dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram···ode.html

SYMPTOM
P1740-TCC O/D SOL PERFORMANCE

WHEN MONITORED
The Torque Convertor Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive Clutch (O/D) will be tested each time the PCM requests TCC engagement in 3rd gear and O/D.

SET CONDITION
The code will set if the expected RPM drop is not achieved while attempting to engage TCC or O/D. This indicates a malfunctioning torque convertor or overdrive clutch.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Camshaft DTC Present
Engine RPM DTC present
Fuel level low
Misfire DTC present
Output speed DTC present
P1765 DTC present
Park/neutral DTC present
PTO engaged (if equipped)
Torque converter clutch DTC present
TPS DTC present
Transfer case in low range (if equipped)
Transmission relay DTC present
Transmission temperature too cold
Intermittent
Check transmission fluid-debris
Check transmission fluid-stall
3-4 shift solenoid
Oil pan contains excessive debris
Shaft or seal damage
TCC solenoid
Torque converter

Based on the exploding battery and acid bath, I'd be looking at acid damage to connections and wiring. It's also possible that the malfunctions damaged the ECM. I also agree it's getting out of DIY territory.

--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

billydunwood

united state

1 recommendation

said by EGeezer:

From »dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram···ode.html

SYMPTOM
P1740-TCC O/D SOL PERFORMANCE

WHEN MONITORED
The Torque Convertor Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive Clutch (O/D) will be tested each time the PCM requests TCC engagement in 3rd gear and O/D.

SET CONDITION
The code will set if the expected RPM drop is not achieved while attempting to engage TCC or O/D. This indicates a malfunctioning torque convertor or overdrive clutch.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Camshaft DTC Present
Engine RPM DTC present
Fuel level low
Misfire DTC present
Output speed DTC present
P1765 DTC present
Park/neutral DTC present
PTO engaged (if equipped)
Torque converter clutch DTC present
TPS DTC present
Transfer case in low range (if equipped)
Transmission relay DTC present
Transmission temperature too cold
Intermittent
Check transmission fluid-debris
Check transmission fluid-stall
3-4 shift solenoid
Oil pan contains excessive debris
Shaft or seal damage
TCC solenoid
Torque converter

Based on the exploding battery and acid bath, I'd be looking at acid damage to connections and wiring. It's also possible that the malfunctions damaged the ECM. I also agree it's getting out of DIY territory.

Thank you. We checked all the connections and terminals and the battery, and everything looks fine. Voltage says ok on the dashboard, and the truck is running fine, however check engine light is still on. Looks like its gonna go to the Dodge dealer. Thanks for all the help guys.
--
No Victim=No Crime