spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gruyere

join:2001-09-20
Milwaukee, WI

[TWC] If it works, should I care about signal?

Checked the FAQs a bit and didn't find an answer to this.

Just had TWC internet connected to my new (to me) home. I've been on DSL forever, so I'm not as familiar to technicalities of cable internet. I am familiar, however, that signal degrades at distances from the drop and after splitting.

TWC/RR 15/1 standard package, Milwaukee WI metro area. Motorola SB6141 modem (I own). No matter what outlet I plug into I get appropriate speeds & pings. About 8-12 ms ping, 14.6 - 16 Mbps down, and 0.97 - 1.2 Mbps up. So far, I'm happy with the service.

If I test at a outlet closer to the drop (I think) the downstream SNR is about 35 dB and power level +2 dBmV, upstream power 37dBmV. If I test at an upstairs outlet (presumable split and father from the drop), I get downstream SNR around 30 dB and power level -15 to -18 dBmV, upstream power is 50-55dBmV.

No matter where I'm at, I seem to get the same specs on a speed test and generic internet browsing seems to go OK.

I'm looking at making my office with computer and router upstairs where the signal looks a bit worse (lower SNR, more negative downstream power and more positive upstream power). If everything otherwise is working, should I care what the signal looks like on the modem?

If it does matter, I can put the modem at the outlet with the best signal and run some ethernet cable to the office, if it doesn't that'll save me an ethernet run.

Thanks.

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium
join:2000-12-25
Charlotte, NC
the signals from the upstairs outlet are bearly within spec...you could develop issues.
--
Driving with 2 feet since 1999

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
How much Ethernet cable do you think you'd need? I have my modem downstairs and run 25ft of Cat7 cable upstairs to my router and it works well. As long as you won't need more than Ethernet degrades I'd go with Ethernet, especially since as Johnny pointed out that the signal is borderline to out of spec.

Gruyere

Milwaukee, WI
reply to JohnnyG101
What kind of issues?

I should add that it's been connected for over a week to one of the outlets with the -18 dB signal. Also, FWIW this is the outlet that I connected to when the tech connected the cable service and this was the line he tested with his testing device. He didn't offer more than a shrug regarding signal quality.

Ethernet run would be essentially from one side of the house to other, then from second floor to basement. I'm thinking 75-100 feet.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Gruyere
Your issues upstairs will be drop connections as modem may lose sync, packet loss especially when it gets warmer again this year.

Gruyere

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks. Will look to getting modem closer to drop.

Gruyere

Milwaukee, WI
reply to Gruyere
OK...overthinking again.

If it does work and I'm not having problems with sync or packet loss, is there any inherent harm I'm doing to the modem. Is it working harder to maintain the signal and will it die an early death?

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Gruyere
I mean downstream snr of 30 is kinda ok if its steady and dont flactuate much or at all, however that upstream power level anytime it gets close to 54 or 55 modem will start to T4 timeout on upstream channels resulting in either trying to use other upstream channels(if bonded) and/or rebooting the modem, now its winter when you get summer that upstream power level will go up by about 1-3 dbmv especially when its hot, same for downsteam snr it may get weaker by 0.5 or so of SNR.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Gruyere
said by Gruyere:

If it does work and I'm not having problems with sync or packet loss, is there any inherent harm I'm doing to the modem. Is it working harder to maintain the signal and will it die an early death?

No.

/M

ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC
reply to Gruyere
OK. I still haven't gone past the "drop" thing. What is a "drop?"

Too da** many rocket scientists. Plain English would work.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_drop though in this case we're talking cable not power.

/M

Gruyere

Milwaukee, WI
said by mackey:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_drop though in this case we're talking cable not power.

/M

Yes.

Took off one splitter to a useless line and now am at -14 dB down and 51 dB up. Going to see what other splits I can take off.

Thanks for help.

Gruyere

Milwaukee, WI
reply to Gruyere
...found the drop and now have a single split off the drop and a long RG6 line to the modem...now getting 0 and -1 dB down and 39 up

yea...