share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

female floppy to male molex/sata adapter

Does anyone seen a female floppy to male molex or female floppy to male SATA power adapter? I'd need it for an SSD, so power is not a big issue.

TIA
--
Wacky Races 2012!

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I just googled "molex floppy power adapter" and that seems to be common.
Example: »www.microsatacables.com/4-pin-mo···r-cable/

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
That is female molex to male floppy adapter -- I'm looking for the opposite genders on each side, if such adapter exists.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I see, a mixup in terminology. The cable, I believe, is normally referred to as male molex to female floppy: »www.dalco.com/p-464-5-14-to-3-12···odKUkAIA

Maybe molex/berg gender changer »compare.ebay.com/like/3707263795···var=sbar coupled with the more common adapter?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor
I can't imagine this even exists. I've seen standard molex to sata power adapters, but if all those are used I suggest getting a new power supply if it's a few years old anyway.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Computer in question is a small form factor Dell, so PS upgrade is not a viable option.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
»www.pchcables.com/7in3way4pinm.html
»pchcables.ecomm-search.com/searc···&x=0&y=0

This is the only way I can see it being done, splitting the molex, and then converting one of the connections.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to BlitzenZeus
My Antec TP-650 which is fairly recent came with a floppy power connector. I have no idea why.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
I wouldn't recommend such an adapter. I'll explain:

Floppy power connectors require ground (black wire), +5V (red wire), and +12V (yellow wire), and are spec'd to support up to 3A on all lines.

SATA power connectors require ground (black wire), +3.3V (orange wire), +5V (red wire), and +12V (yellow wire), and are spec'd to support up to 4.5A on all lines.

While it's true not many SATA devices tend to use the +3.3V lines, you have no control over this -- the power circuitry on the drive PCB may in fact use it. Not worth the risk for something as important as a storage device, if you ask me.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Didn't know that they may use 3.3V.

I do know that I bought a SATA HD that came with a molex to SATA pwr adapter, and at least in one other case the drive had both SATA and molex jacks for power. But SSDs may very well be different.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to aurgathor
Maybe this - »compare.ebay.com/like/3307764915···var=sbar

Molex (5.25 Male) / (3.5 Female X2) , DC Y CBL. Power Cable - 8in US $5.41 FREE shipping

--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
reply to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

»www.pchcables.com/7in3way4pinm.html
»pchcables.ecomm-search.com/searc···&x=0&y=0

This is the only way I can see it being done, splitting the molex, and then converting one of the connections.

I did exactly like this in an HP Slim Desktop and it was the best way. Was a bit tight fitting all that extra wire and plugs in but it did fit. And if you are good with a soldering iron, you can customize them to be whatever size you need if the extra wire is a problem.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to aurgathor
The drive should have a label somewhere on it listing what rails it uses, and how much current on each. I just checked all of my SSDs (Vertex 3, Agility 3, Mushkin Chronos, OCZ Octane, Intel 320, Intel 330), all of them only listed the 5V rail as being used.
--
KI6RIT