spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

data129

join:2007-07-04
Canton, MI

[Connectivity] Internet connection from converter box.

Too bad Comcast doesn't allow connecting via ethernet from the converter box for tv or dvd/bd players. Like uverse does. i always prefer direct connection over wifi. The wifi connection is weak and up and down.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

What are you trying to connect to the cable box? Last time I looked at the back of one, there is all kinds of plugs to connect things like TV's, DVD's, etc to the box via a wire, that don't involve an Ethernet cable.

--Brian

data129

Canton, MI

You didn't read my post right. I want to get the internet from the converter box. my tv and bd player have internet. i prefer direct connection over wifi. With the AT&T uverse converter box you can do that.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

3 edits

He did read your post right(At least I think he did ) but just didn't know about the port. Some cable box(STB) models do and some models don't have an ethernet port on them. I heard that it doesn't work like that compared to the U-verse STBs. You could always run a new ethernet cable from your modem to them but that will take some work depending on how far it is.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to data129

Yes, I did read it right. I knew about the RJ45 port on the back of the STB.

If I had a TV or a DVD player, or xbox360 that I wanted to connect to the internet, and wireless was not working, I would take the time and the effort to figure out how to run CAT5 to the device.

As far as I know, the RJ45 plug on the back of any STB that is on Comcast's network does not work that way. I have even asked that question on here a few times, and the reply I got was that it was for "future use", and Comcast has no plans to do anything with it.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to data129

UVerse is IPTV using vDSL. It's essentially a standard Internet connection, where some of it is set aside for video.

Most of the HD cable boxes have a cable modem, but it's typically not used. Even in the few cases it is used (the Tivo software trial used it, and maybe the new X1 does), it's only used internally, and the external interface is still disabled.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to data129

if you want a direct connection, run some cat5. problem solved.
--
I'm better than you!

data129

Canton, MI
reply to data129

Problem not solved. I live in a apartment I can't just run cable through the walls. I don't like to run it underneath the carpet because of traffic and it makes the carpet loose.

data129

Canton, MI
reply to data129

Also it's about 30-35ft away from the router.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to data129

said by data129:

Problem not solved. I live in a apartment I can't just run cable through the walls. I don't like to run it underneath the carpet because of traffic and it makes the carpet loose.

A good friend of mine lives in an apartment. Her daughter has her desktop in her bedroom, and is connected via CAT5 that runs from the living room.

What I did was to run the CAT5 along the wall next to the floor in the living room. When I got to the hallway, I went up the wall and over the doors. I used the thing in the picture to keep the cable attached to the wall and in one place.

You can get about 20 of them in a box from Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, ACE Hardware, etc for around $3.00.

No running of wires under carpet, no drilling holes in walls.

Problem Solved!

I used a 75 foot CAT5 cable, and her daughter could not be happier!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

data129

Canton, MI

I don't like to see wires running throughout the apartment

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Most apartments have white walls. If you got a white CAT5 cable, and used white things from my picture (they do come in both White and Black), and took your time to run it in the corners up the wall, and along the area between the ceiling and the wall, it probably would not stand out that much.

Other then that, you either move the TV/DVD thing to the same room as your router, move the router to the same room as the TV, or just live with the bad wireless connection if you don't want to "see" the wires in the apartment.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

data129

Canton, MI

Unfortunately where the equipment is, there is a gap between the walls no wall to run it to, that way. Move the equipment to the bedroom? I don't think so. only if i was allowed to have a 2nd modem. I guess i just want to have the same performance and speed all over. When uverse comes to my area, I just might switch over. I had uverse before and was happy with it. The speed wasn't as fast but i had direct connections where i needed it. I doubt the x1 box will have the ethernet port enabled.

danielr83

join:2007-05-25
Fresno, CA
reply to data129

Buy some Home Plugs, problem solved. I've used them in different setups and have never had a problem. I use the Netgear AV500 series Home Plugs.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to data129

said by data129:

The speed wasn't as fast but i had direct connections where i needed it.

thats makes zero sense. being direct gives you more speed, but if you arent worry about why make this thread?
--
I'm better than you!

robot

join:2003-07-02
Palos Hills, IL
reply to danielr83

Ethernet over Power: »www.amazon.com/Netgear-85Mbps-Po···er+power

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to data129

What kind of router do you have? Maybe you need to upgrade that to get a better wifi connection.

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21

said by fonzbear2000:

What kind of router do you have? Maybe you need to upgrade that to get a better wifi connection.

This. When I moved to a new apartment over the summer, the 2.4 GHz WiFi band was so crowded that I was getting horrible speeds and ridiculous latency 24/7. I upgraded to a router that supported 5 GHz WiFi, and that fixed everything.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

But not all devices support 5GHz.

data129

Canton, MI
reply to robot

Does that boost the wireless signal? if not, won't help me.

data129

Canton, MI
reply to fonzbear2000

smcd3gnv

data129

Canton, MI
reply to gar187er

What i meant was with comcast i get 25mbps and the wireless is maybe at 10mb. With uverse they only had up to 18mbps and since the converter box allowed me to direct connect to it for internet i was able to get the full 18mbps. Understand?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

I understand what you are saying.

And, if you did run a wire from your router to your TV, you would also get the full 25 mbps.

I will admit I do not know a lot about wireless, which is why everything in my house is hardwired with CAT5. For me, its faster, more reliable, and if it don't work, its easy to troubleshoot. Its either connected or its not!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

robot

join:2003-07-02
Palos Hills, IL
reply to data129

It does not boost wireless. It extends the wired network using power lines. You basically connect your computer to a power line to get on the network. It's much faster than wireless.

fonzbear2000
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to data129

Data, you completely avoided my question about what kind of router you have. That could be the reason for your problems.
--
»A pretty good alernative to bit torrent and newsgroups

fonzbear2000
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to data129

Nevermind, double post by mistake.

data129

Canton, MI
reply to fonzbear2000