Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight

Re: France's ISP deploys ad blocking via firmware update

said by Grail Knight:

quote:
Who cares? Those sites were never needed by me.
Fixed it for you.

You like fixing for others? Now, here is my fix for you:
quote:
Who cares? Those sites were never needed by us.
I've never had any need to see any ads on the Internet. If I want something - I make a simple search for it and that's it. Do you think I buy from (or because or) a site, that puts its ads, using in bigger and bolder font then others, and/or puts it right in the middle of the page, so no one can avoid it? Or may be I buy, based on my research of the market? Pick your choice... but I guess you know my answer.

I don't need to see this ad garbage, that foisted into my face all the time by ad companies. And, even more importantly, I don't want my privacy be eroded by ad companies trying to track every my move on the Internet and trying to peruse or simply snoop into all my communications...

Now, regarding the web sites that stop functioning if user blocks ads. First of all, I have yet to see such sites. And second, if some webmaster wants to start to do that - be my guest, enjoy your "creation" by yourself. I surely don't need you garbage.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

quote:
Who cares? Those sites were never needed by us.
Who is us? You fixed nothing.
quote:
I don't need to see this ad garbage, that foisted into my face all the time by ad companies
So are you willing to pay per site then to not have ads?
quote:
Now, regarding the web sites that stop functioning if user blocks ads. First of all, I have yet to see such sites. And second, if some webmaster wants to start to do that - be my guest, enjoy your "creation" by yourself. I surely don't need you garbage.
That is your prerogative.
quote:
I don't want my privacy be eroded by ad companies trying to track every my move on the Internet and trying to peruse or simply snoop into all my communications
Me either so perhaps the US Government should do as some countries have done which is enforce privacy by removing sites with the end user having no control or enact and then enforce laws regarding privacy in which case I say good luck with that because in the US I do not believe the government is capable of doing it nor would do it except haphazardly.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

said by Grail Knight:

quote:
I don't need to see this ad garbage, that foisted into my face all the time by ad companies

Why? I'm already paying for the Internet. Or may be you think I'm using it for free?

I think sites, that want to shovel their marketing garbage into my face, should pay me instead, if they want me to visit them. How about that business model?
said by Grail Knight:

quote:
I don't want my privacy be eroded by ad companies trying to track every my move on the Internet and trying to peruse or simply snoop into all my communications
Me either so perhaps the US Government should do as some countries have done which is enforce privacy by removing sites with the end user having no control or enact and then enforce laws regarding privacy in which case I say good luck with that because in the US I do not believe the government is capable of doing it nor would do it except haphazardly.

You've proposed a solution and then you said "good luck with that"? Nice...

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

You pay for access to the Internet not the Internet itself.
quote:
You've proposed a solution and then you said "good luck with that"? Nice..
I see you did not understand the comment which was about the US Governments inability to enforce laws they make or have on the books already hence good luck with that.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

said by Grail Knight:

You pay for access to the Internet not the Internet itself.

It's just semantics... The bottom line is - I'm already paying for visiting your site.

And that was my reply to your question:
said by Grail Knight:

quote:

red2
@wanadoo.fr

red2

Anon

It isn't semantics.

You paid for your television. Where does that say that this entitles you to programming? You either pay for it or the advertiser pays for it. Whether you like it or not, that's just the way it is. In fact, in most European countries you are forced to pay an annual tv tax to the state for the freely available programming. (Some even tried to impose a tv tax on tablets and smartphones, but a consumer uproar stopped that..at least for now.) So what entitles you to get things for free?

"Visiting" a site doesn't pay them UNLESS they provide advertising on the site and then can charge based on the eyeballs delivered. If not that, please explain how you pay them? How does your doing them a "favor" by visiting, pay them?

The fact that the internet has been exploited by companies shouldn't surprise anyone. And I'm not convinced it is all doom and gloom. What IS important is that the WAYS it is exploited should be transparent. So if each site maintains that you've made a "contract' with them, there are a lot of contracts being "signed" each day and that might include selling your data, owning your photos, delivering you ads, tracking your movements, etc. If you are apprised of all these agreements you are making in a clear and transparent manner (rather than having to read a a TOS every time you visit a site), then if you agree to them, you've only got yourself to blame.

I find the issues regarding smartphones to be far more insidious and disturbing than advertising. A google search update gives them new permissions to use my camera without my permission, read my text messages, etc. I refused to update. But as google search was pre-installed on my phone, what permissions do they already have and why do android users NOT have any control over what permissions are granted by default? It's another all or nothing game.

That is a far more disturbing issue than advertising.
red2

red2 to OZO

Anon

to OZO
It is now being reported that Free (the ISP in question) will deactivate the automatic blockage. »www.lefigaro.fr/hightech ··· iser.php

Two interesting facts:

(1) Free is reported to be "in negotiations" with Google. So perhaps this was just a gambit to get Google to pay them for access to their network or have all of Google's advertising capabilities blocked.

(2) Free has been asked to explain their actions to the France's Minister de l'Économie Numérique. So as is the case in many things, the government will intervene and decide what is "free" commerce and what is not.

Both of those facts are perhaps even more troubling than the ad blockage.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
quote:
It's just semantics... The bottom line is - I'm already paying for visiting your site.
Not really and it is not just semantics unless you really think by paying your ISP you are paying for online content which is not really the case. You pay your ISP for access to online content which is paid for by others be they individuals, companies, schools, etc....
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to red2

MVM

to red2
#1 more so than #2. Doesn't the French government have a (bad) habit of gettings its fingers and hands alittle
too much into economics in general? Interesting update nonetheless red2.

Regards
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to red2

Premium Member

to red2
I guess it was an attempt to get some money from Google:
France Considers Charging Google for Network Capacity - Bloomberg
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Ugh. Chicken or egg. Without both you have neither....what is content with no pipe to access it or a pipe with nothing to access?