uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Brake rotors, oil coating

In the past, every brake rotor I've bought has been coated in (rust-preventative) oil of some sort. So before installing them, one always had to spray them "clean" and dry off. No big deal, of course...

Today, I picked up rotors (and pads) and these had no coating. They were actually in vacuum-sealed bags inside the standard cardboard boxes. Is this normal now ? Or does it just depend on who makes the rotors ?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

It just depends on who makes the rotors.

Some have a chemically treated bag, others a chemically treated slip of paper to prevent rust.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Hall

For what it worth, the rotors I bought last year were oil coated.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Hall

You should use soap (Dawn is a recommended choice) and hot water to clean new rotors so that all machining particles and any coatings, oils, greases are removed.

»www.centralpartsandsupply.com/sp···pair.pdf
quote:
wash the rotor with dish soap and water. DO NOT clean the rotor with brake cleaner/solvent based product.
»forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25050

»www.dodgeintrepid.net/archive/in···520.html

»www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub···=2527989
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

It just depends on who makes the rotors.

Some have a chemically treated bag, others a chemically treated slip of paper to prevent rust.

I believe I saw one recently that also had a bag of desiccant included inside the plastic bag. Any will work.