And?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

Connection to WiFi is basic networking feature, provided by OS for all apps. The same is GSP. It's, if you will, a HAL, used by all apps. Battery management is in that category too, as well as memory management (and cache in particular)...

And yet again, went over your head. If your GPS is taking 5-10 min to lock on, there is a PROBLEM with YOUR phone. That's NOT the OS.

This is very simple to understand. I don't HAVE these problems you say are part of the OS.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

Pretty sure Android is outselling Iphone 5 to 1... so...

That's cause 4 of those are shitty $100 phones.

Perhaps you meant to say economical $100 phones...nothing wrong with that at all. Not everyone can pay, or even wants to pay for a "premier" phone. There are a number of lower-cost quality android phones on the market.

IMHO, there is a valid need for a variety of smart phones both in size and features based on an individual's usage. Some folks have a preference for a "jumbo-sized" screen, such as the Galaxy Note II, others want a much smaller, more "pocketable" device.

Personally? I have a GSII. Never has been glitchy...fast/smooth, great screen...I chose it over an iphone 4S...easily. I would chose a GSIII over an iphone 5, although at least hardware-wise, the iphone 5 would be a closer decision for me.

I have a number of co-workers with iphones, no question that they are well-built and are quality phones, however, I simply prefer the android platform.
--
Deeds, not words

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I had tried 2 iPhones before I settled on an Android. I had the 3GS and the 4.

I never really liked either iPhone. Too restricted, small screen, too much hype. I now have a Galaxy Nexus, and really love it.

Sounds like me, I had those exact iPhones and I too switched to Android and right now I have a Galaxy Nexus too.

Obviously different users will use their device differently but myself, I like my Galaxy Nexus device for the ability to run third-party ROMs on it. Right now I'm running AOKP on it and a third-party kernel too. It's the smoothest running Android OS I've seen.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

BTW, why "YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK" is considered a good thing, when someone uses Android OS?

It has nothing to do with the android OS, it has everything to do with having choices.

IOS based phones come in one flavor/configuration - iphone, built by one manufacturer.

Android based phones are built by a number of manufacturers at varying price points and physical configurations.

You don't need to "do your homework" when buying an iphone because aside of either buying an older iphone or newer model, you're done.

I like having choice. That in and of itself would suggest that choosing with due diligence would be a "good thing" to do.
--
Deeds, not words

ubermoe

join:2012-09-21
Jordan
reply to OZO
I came thought all of the replies on this thread but your reply was a really weird. Let me talk in general, that an individual case cannot be taken as the official view for the platform. Both Android, iPhone, BB, Nokia, each of them has its own failures that is mostly related to software which is pretty easy, amazingly easy to "format" and then install a fresh copy of the OS with Android while it's hard with Nokia, BB, and iPhone. I don't mean factory reset but a complete OS deletion and replacement.

said by OZO:

A third party tool that kills app may not help (and why I should use a tool that closes an app).

Speaking of multitasking, actually users get fooled by the titles of the apps on Play Store and iOS Store. These apps do not make your phone operate better nor make it faster with so many apps running.

Seeing an app in the running tab doesn't mean it's consuming resources and is being executed, simply Android keep what we can call a reference to certain apps to make them ready when the app is needed, this reference is idle but is ready to be invoked when necessary. You must read this article:

Multitasking the Android Way: »android-developers.blogspot.com/···way.html

so basically, these apps are consuming your battery, yes, these "Task Killers" are the reason why your battery is dying faster as they kill everything related to any app causing Android to re-execute it again. Review process life-cycle in the same article.

said by OZO:

GPS may be in "Looking for location" for up to 10 min, while it shows 10 - 12 satellites connected. Battery may not show it's charged 100%, while it is connected to charger and you see that its voltage is already start dropping and, at the same time, it's percentage of "availability" is slowly growing ~10% per 8 hours (so to get it to "fully charged " state from let say 60% you have to charge it ... 24 hours). Next time it may start from different percentage (assigned to the same voltage).

that is pure personal experience. Did you try to factory reset? were you running a ROM?

said by OZO:

There is a lot of memory available, but suddenly you can't install a small new app. You have to find a third party tool, that clears OS's cache and only then you may do it again (and why I should remember to clear the cache manually? it's the OS's job, for god sake).

You sure you're talking about Android 2.3 and up specially Jelly Bean? If you did not try JB, I think you're missing a lot.

I used to be an iPhone user, tried 3G, 3GS, 4, then 4S. Then moved to Galaxy Nexus and I am running the latest JB version of Android. I can say that my life is way easier and I am much more productive in it. Phone design? software UI? both are getting better with every release.

Sure, I disagree with you, completely, but that doesn't mean I don't understand your points. I think it was an awful experience but make sure you try the right phone.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Cheese
said by Cheese:

And?

That 5 to 1 argument is stupid. Stop using it.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

And?

That 5 to 1 argument is stupid. Stop using it.

Not going to stop using the truth

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

Perhaps you meant to say economical $100 phones...nothing wrong with that at all. Not everyone can pay, or even wants to pay for a "premier" phone. There are a number of lower-cost quality android phones on the market.

IMHO, there is a valid need for a variety of smart phones both in size and features based on an individual's usage. Some folks have a preference for a "jumbo-sized" screen, such as the Galaxy Note II, others want a much smaller, more "pocketable" device.

Personally? I have a GSII. Never has been glitchy...fast/smooth, great screen...I chose it over an iphone 4S...easily. I would chose a GSIII over an iphone 5, although at least hardware-wise, the iphone 5 would be a closer decision for me.

I have a number of co-workers with iphones, no question that they are well-built and are quality phones, however, I simply prefer the android platform.

Yeah, and the $100 phones are the biggest sellers for android.

They're really shitty. I picked up a few $100 android phones and they're running gingerbread (in late 2012) and lag.

Mid-level android phones are starting to come out with ICS and that should help a lot.

There is no doubt android is superior than ios but android market share is flawed because the biggest sellers are cheap phones in china/india. Gs3 doesn't sell as much as iphone5 and it's by far the most popular android phone.
I don't know the exact sales numbers but if you take the global sales of top flagship phone for each manufacturer (One X, Gs3, Optimus, xperia, etc) i'm pretty sure iphone will beat them in sales.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

Shitty $100 phones???

When we switched from Sprint to Verizon at the end of November I got the Droid DNA, my mother who doesn’t need a super high end phone got the Droid Razr M. That was a $100 phone, whose price dropped down to $50 a few weeks later and I was able to get the price differential credit. For $50 the Droid Razr M is a pretty damn good phone. The 4.3” display is bigger than the iPhone, the resolution lower at 540 x 960, but the Super AMOLED screen is nice. The dual core 1.5 GHz processor is faster than the iPhone, it’s got the same amount of RAM as the iPhone, it’s got expandable memory, a solid battery and it’s a hell of a lot more durable, not to mention the features of Android 4.1. Along with the standard stuff that the iPhone lacks, NFC and DLNA. Not all $100 phones are created equal. I’d rather have a $100 phone from Samsung, Moto or HTC, then a $100 phone from LG, ZTE or Hauwii. This $50 phone the same caliber as the Evo 3D I was using in June of this past year.

While the Razr M may not be stat of the art, I’d rather use that then the shitty iPhone 5 or some lame ass Windows Phone.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

Happydude32
Premium
reply to OZO
quote:
GPS may be in "Looking for location" for up to 10 min, while it shows 10 - 12 satellites connected.
As a delivery driver, my job, my livelihood relies on GPS. Quite often I am sent to unfamiliar areas. I never had an issue with the GPS capabilities or Google Nav on any of the phones I’ve used. Over the summer I took a 1,100 mile road trip, my HTC Evo LTE was my GPS the entire way. I never owned (but I have used) a real dedicated GPS, Android phones have never failed me and they are vastly superior to standalone units..

quote:
Battery may not show it's charged 100%, while it is connected to charger and you see that its voltage is already start dropping and, at the same time, it's percentage of "availability" is slowly growing ~10% per 8 hours (so to get it to "fully charged " state from let say 60% you have to charge it ... 24 hours). Next time it may start from different percentage (assigned to the same voltage).
What are you even talking about? Last week I forgot to put my phone on charge before I went to bed. I woke up, it was on 21%. I put it on charge when I got out of bed. By the time I got of the shower, got dressed and did a few other things, it was up to 93% when I left the house, after about 45 minutes on charge. Plugged it into my car charger and by the time my 7.3 mile ride into work was complete I was at 99%.

quote:
There is a lot of memory available, but suddenly you can't install a small new app. You have to find a third party tool, that clears OS's cache and only then you may do it again (and why I should remember to clear the cache manually? it's the OS's job, for god sake).
Can’t say I’ve ever had that issue between the 4 Android phones, 2 Android tablets and Android MP3 Player I have used. Using Éclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean.
--

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
I still maintain he has an issue with his phone.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to ubermoe
You've cut just last part of my point and perhaps "conveniently" omitted the important premise, explaining why I mentioned third party tool, that kills app. Here is what I actually said:
said by OZO:

Apps may behave unexpectedly. Sometimes they work, sometimes they suddenly don't and the only way to get some predictability back is to reboot the phone... A third party tool that kills app may not help (and why I should use a tool that closes an app).

As you see, the question about third party tool that kills the app was rather a rhetorical one. If OS allowed user to exit apps and did its job of cleaning up OS resources properly, I'd never needed those third pary tools. I'd just exit the app, start it again and that's it. The problem is - it doesn't. First, OS doesn't offer a standard way to stop app from running and second, OS doesn't clean up system resources properly all the time. Why I've mentioned the latter? Because even if you find a way to kill the app and restart it again the problem may persist... The only solution in this case is to reboot the OS... ubermoe See Profile, my point was not about multitasking. You didn't get it and then called my post weird...

said by ubermoe:

that is pure personal experience. Did you try to factory reset? were you running a ROM?

Pure personal experience? Perhaps. But then you do your own homework and read many threads in XDT forum (and may other places), containing hundreds of posts each about the same problem, you may start thinking that may be it's not just simple as my personal experience. And yes, I did factory reset and tried many ROM's. They may behave differently, but what I've mentioned above is related to the design of OS itself, not to particular implementation or its version.

said by ubermoe:

You sure you're talking about Android 2.3 and up specially Jelly Bean? If you did not try JB, I think you're missing a lot.

You may find the answer to your question if you read my first post.

said by ubermoe:

Sure, I disagree with you, completely, but that doesn't mean I don't understand your points. I think it was an awful experience but make sure you try the right phone.

1. No. Based on what you've posted, I think you've missed my points. Please peruse what I've posted earlier.
2. So, as a solution your suggest me to "try the right phone"? HTC that cost me around $500 was not "the right phone"? It's not my hobby to buy, to test, and then to sell smartphones just to find the "right phone". It takes time, cost money and ... I have a life, you know. So, may be it's a solution for you, but not for me...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
Once again and for the last time, the problems you mention, are NOT NORMAL. Taking 10 min to lock onto GPS? That most certainly IS NOT an OS issue.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

2 edits
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

I'm sorry which 4? Most Android phones available for less than $100 were the flagships sometimes as recently as 6 months. Making way for innovation, unlike Iphone.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
reply to Alcohol
You may be disappointed if you check to see where the IPhone is made.
--

OZO
Premium
reply to Cheese
said by Cheese:

Once again and for the last time,

Thank you so much and I really appreciate your difficult decision to stop that

And I already know that you think that GPS support (as well as WiFi networking and others) is not part of the Android OS... And if something is not working it's all the fault of the user, not OS. I've got that...
--

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Holy shit, you are obtuse.

Happydude32
Premium
reply to OZO
I’m currently inside of my house, on Verizon’s 3G network, on my Droid DNA I went to Google Navigation, and verbally dictated ‘Navigate To Best Buy’. From the moment I finished that statement until the moment it locked the GPS signal and fully loaded it was 12 seconds read to take me to the closest Best Buy. And now that I have a lock on the GPS satellites the two other places I had Google Nav take me load almost instantly.
--

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
said by Happydude32:

I’m currently inside of my house, on Verizon’s 3G network, on my Droid DNA I went to Google Navigation, and verbally dictated ‘Navigate To Best Buy’. From the moment I finished that statement until the moment it locked the GPS signal and fully loaded it was 12 seconds read to take me to the closest Best Buy. And now that I have a lock on the GPS satellites the two other places I had Google Nav take me load almost instantly.

My S3 is the same, it's almost instant. I load GMAPS and it's got my location in literally seconds.

It's obvious it's an issue with his phone.

OZO
Premium
said by Cheese:

You can't keep your own promises, can you?
--

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
That post, wasn't directed at you.

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

reply to OZO
said by OZO:

said by Cheese:

You can't keep your own promises, can you?

Trying to get someone to go away does not make you right. However if you repeat it often enough you may not have to hear it any more. Didn't you post here to hear other opinions and help if necessary? Or are you merely trolling?
--

OZO
Premium
I post my personal experience and observations here. Sorry if it's not the same as yours. Repeating "it's an issue with his phone" is trolling in my books...
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
You actually sound like an Ifan trying to get validation for his misled opinions on an Android forum. It isn't going to happen. By the way did you really have these experiences or are you just repeating what you may have overheard? If you did have an android phone and had these problems where are your posts from that time?
--

OZO
Premium
And now you're trying to start the trolling of this thread too...
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
No. Actually, if you stiill have the phone let's fix it. Otherwise what are you looking for?
--

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to OZO
It's you who is trolling...this thread was about someone switching, and you come in with your rant about YOUR problems claiming it's an Android problem.

Happydude32
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to OZO
So what's the make and model of the phone and on what network? You fail to mention that in any of your trolling.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

As you see, the question about third party tool that kills the app was rather a rhetorical one.

Android is programmed to kill tasks when an available RAM threshold is reached. When that available RAM threshold is reached it starts killing off old apps depending upon when they were last loaded. This is standard behavior and to use Task Killers is actually working against the memory management properties of Android.

This is straight out of the mouths of some of the best third-party ROM and kernel developers as well as Google themselves.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)