share rss forum feed

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to trparky

Re: An iPhone Lover's Confession: I Switched To The Nexus 4

I did root but didn't take it further, it works for me so I didn't want to change the ROM or anything. It really just peaked my curiosity to try rooting it.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to Alcohol

I thought it was you complaining about cheap foreign made android phones. Apple phone are made in China, the price on one remains high because of the lack of innovation. Thus a 1 year old Iphone is still top line because there is nothing newer. Android phones get cheaper because there is another newer better one just around the corner.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by PeeWee:

I thought it was you complaining about cheap foreign made android phones. Apple phone are made in China, the price on one remains high because of the lack of innovation. Thus a 1 year old Iphone is still top line because there is nothing newer. Android phones get cheaper because there is another newer better one just around the corner.

It doesn't matter where they're manufactured. The phones have cheap internals. Most android phones in china/india run on single core chips. The fact is, there are about 1.5M new android devices being activated every day. I would guess over a million are non premium phones/tablets running an outdated version of android. Which is why the 5 to 1 argument is stupid. Google isn't playing the same game as apple because they have a completely different business strategy.

Apple has ridiculous profit margins because people/carriers are stupid enough to buy at a premium rate.

Iphone internals are designed in california, assembled at foxxcon china and sourced from all over (korea, japan, china, brazil). I never said anything is cheap just because it's foreign made.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

said by Alcohol:

said by PeeWee:

It doesn't matter where they're manufactured. The phones have cheap internals. Most android phones in china/india run on single core chips. The fact is, there are about 1.5M new android devices being activated every day. I would guess over a million are non premium phones/tablets running an outdated version of android. Which is why the 5 to 1 argument is stupid. Google isn't playing the same game as apple because they have a completely different business strategy.

Apple has ridiculous profit margins because people/carriers are stupid enough to buy at a premium rate.

Iphone internals are designed in california, assembled at foxxcon china and sourced from all over (korea, japan, china, brazil). I never said anything is cheap just because it's foreign made.

I would suggest that your guess is wrong, at least in reference to phones, As the cheaper alternatives for new users are the last generation flagships. These phones have features still not seen on the newest of IPhones.
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Brand awareness for android phones is nonexistent. People don't know what a flagship phones are. Samsung is doing a good job and gs3 has helped a lot but still a long way to go.

During the Apple vs Samsung trial samsung had to release the sale figures of their US phones. Their biggest seller was some piece of shit single core gingerbread phone with a 320 x 480 resolution. It had 2M+ units sold. Nothing else even came close in the US.
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

Maybe you can tell me what "piece of shit" phone does a person get at the Verizon store for example. They promote newer Data hog phone, Precluding the use of the phones you describe. Your reasoning doesn't apply, at least for the American market. I submit, also that the average phone running gingerbread has a better set of features than the latest iphone.
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Yes, which is why i mentioned china and india multiple times.
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

???

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

And?

That 5 to 1 argument is stupid. Stop using it.

Well I know 4 people with iPhones, I know dozens with Andriods
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Steve Mehs

said by Steve Mehs:

said by Alcohol:

said by Cheese:

Pretty sure Android is outselling Iphone 5 to 1... so...

That's cause 4 of those are shitty $100 phones.

Shitty $100 phones???

When we switched from Sprint to Verizon at the end of November I got the Droid DNA, my mother who doesn’t need a super high end phone got the Droid Razr M. That was a $100 phone, whose price dropped down to $50 a few weeks later and I was able to get the price differential credit. For $50 the Droid Razr M is a pretty damn good phone. The 4.3” display is bigger than the iPhone, the resolution lower at 540 x 960, but the Super AMOLED screen is nice. The dual core 1.5 GHz processor is faster than the iPhone, it’s got the same amount of RAM as the iPhone, it’s got expandable memory, a solid battery and it’s a hell of a lot more durable, not to mention the features of Android 4.1. Along with the standard stuff that the iPhone lacks, NFC and DLNA. Not all $100 phones are created equal. I’d rather have a $100 phone from Samsung, Moto or HTC, then a $100 phone from LG, ZTE or Hauwii. This $50 phone the same caliber as the Evo 3D I was using in June of this past year.

While the Razr M may not be stat of the art, I’d rather use that then the shitty iPhone 5 or some lame ass Windows Phone.

RAZR m isn't a $100 phone. It's subsidized by Verizon. This is why you're confused.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

While not 5:1, Android does have a higher MSS than iPhone in the US. And while some of these may be "$100 cheap ass phones", I doubt it's anywhere near that many compared to outside the US in emerging markets.

source: »touchreviews.net/apples-iphone-t···android/
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by pflog:

While not 5:1, Android does have a higher MSS than iPhone in the US. And while some of these may be "$100 cheap ass phones", I doubt it's anywhere near that many compared to outside the US in emerging markets.

source: »touchreviews.net/apples-iphone-t···android/

US is an exception because of carrier subsidies. But again, Samsungs most profitable phone in the US from 2010 to 2012 was a phone with a single core that ran gingerbread.

This trend will finally change this year because even the cheap android phones like the nexus 4 are manufactured with high quality specs (if google isn't subsidizing). And phones in emerging markets are getting intel/qualcomm chips this year which should stop the lag on android for cheap phones.

My problem isn't with the strategy. It's just annoying to see misinformed people compare the market share of ios and android when Google and Apple have completely different business goals.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

But the fact remains that Android's US MSS is in fact higher at ~54% vs. Apple's 35%.

The question is whether the disparity will continue to grow. I am thinking it won't unless Samsung can make up for the dwindling Moto/HTC/LG MSS. Time will tell I guess, but I sure do like Samsung's strategy of a common phone line across all US carriers (despite the other crappy low end phones they peddle on the carriers, too, though I guess not everyone needs/wants a high end Android phone).
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
reply to Alcohol

Right! Why don't we have an IPhone or IOS forum here? Oh, that's right not enough interest.
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

»All Things Apple

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

Then why are you here.
I thought Iphones were IOS?

asphire23
You Make My Heart Skip A Beat
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Covina, CA
reply to ubermoe

You guys are missing the point. The article deliberately talks about the Nexus 4, not some cheapo $100 android 2.2 phones.

Before you comment, I bought the first iPhone release ($600) back then, had the 3GS then iPhone 4. I stopped there due to lack of innovation and switch to Android.

I am now using the Nexus 4 and I can say that it is THE fastest phone, scratch that. Fastest device I have ever use. Even Faster than my MBP retina with SSD. Everything is buttery smooth, no lag, comes with tons of features and I can customised it as I pleased. I agree with what has been said in the article.

My favourite features are:
Android beam, my god this is the most brilliant feature one can think of.
Google Wallet, just recently using this where it's available. That look on the cashier face is priceless.
Face unlock, very useful and secure enough for my daily usage.
Tethering, my mbp and ipad use this when travelling.

Gone are the days when I can't save attachments to my phone and you can actually use other app as a default file handler.. These two are my biggest dissapoinment with iOS.

My point is, before you bash Android. Try and play with the Nexus 4 first. It will change your mind about Android.

The only downside I see is the limited availibility of the Nexus 4. What a shame.

PS: I haven't try the Nexus 7 nor 10.
--
"There is no patch for stupidity" -Mitnick

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

said by asphire23:

The only downside I see is the limited availibility of the Nexus 4. What a shame.

PS: I haven't try the Nexus 7 nor 10.

Hey its not just the Nexus 4 my Asus Transformer blows any iPad right out of the water for all the reasons you mention....

Still have an iPod Touch I bought before Android got so mature and diverse... so I know what I am comparing....

iOS = TINY restricted gray dungeon
Android = BIG open blue sky
--