All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
oryan707
join:2004-04-17
canada

oryan707 to Raphion

to Raphion

Re: is direct-LED less blurry than 8ms Edge lit?

ok... so your saying if I got a brand new 8ms I won't see much difference in a 2ms model?

This 'stroboscopic backlight' you said it's rare, do you know of any models out there that actualy use it? I'm willing to splurge if I think it's worth it.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

No, I know of none being sold now. Your best bet is to look at the higher refresh rate models for now.

I just like to explain the issue in detail when it comes up, hoping that more awareness of what it really is will have the eventual effect of good solutions to it hitting production.

The current school of thought - increasing frame rates - is wasteful and misguided, like trying to increase the light in the bathroom by leaving the door open and installing brighter lights in the bedroom. It works... sort of, but not satisfactorily, and is not targeting the root issue precisely.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to oryan707

to oryan707
Unfortunately, the options are somewhat limited on how to make LCDs better suited for certain uses. They're actually fine for the majority of users. I think because of certain inherent limitations of LCDs, at some point in time we'll probably end up with something radically different.

Unfortunately, one of the most promising technology SED has been abandoned, partly due to some unnecessary litigation, partly due to the recession, and partly due to the competitive pressure from the ever better LCDs. A somewhat similar technology, FED is on life support.

So for all practical purposes, right now it's either LCD, plasma, or a leftover CRT. (of which there are still plenty)
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

OLED seems to be getting more "popular" (still with the small screens though); if it gets cheaper from scaling up production, then it might actually make it to the "big time". But, yeah, I like my cheap Samsung T24B350ND quite well.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Well, OLED's been around for, what, 10+ years, but aside from one 10" TV costing several grand, I don't remember anything remotely usable as a monitor.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Maybe the next "big thing" will be small stereoscopic OLED glasses? You never know when or where the next major breakthrough will happen, only that it will involve a reduction in the cost to produce something that has the features and attributes that "everyone" wants (which is where OLED certainly satisfies). But it's not like I'm waiting on anything.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Stereoscopic OLED glasses will probably have their own niche, but I kinda doubt that they would replace monitors.