mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

[iPhone] Defective iPhone protector case

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I bought a few iPhone 5 cases for my new phones.

I wanted the white 2 tone so I could see it a little more easily.

Every time I took a flash picture they came out washed out.

It turns out the white shell put some kind of reflection on the lense.

I ended up sharpie(ing) the white camera opening and cured it. Yes it's a shit job but I was planning on throwing the case away once I discovered the defect.

Just an FYI if others have this issue.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

I've heard of that trick before.

Personally, I've never had an issue with flash bounce from a protective case since I've always carried mine in a leather slip case.

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

not

@comcast.net
reply to mityfowl

Go buy a Speck Candyshell case in white/black. It won't have this issue and it's pretty slim as well as being protective. Trust me, you'll like it. Target usually carries them, but you can find them in BestBuys too.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to mityfowl

Most of your better cases come with some type of "flash suppression ring", known issue with cases since flash was added to phones. Just something to be aware of when purchasing your next case.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to mityfowl

I usually really like the Monoprice items but this is a shame. By chance have you made them aware of this? I bet they'd refund you your cost (all of a whopping couple of dollars). I tried to get my wife to buy one.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

2 edits

said by Teasip:

I usually really like the Monoprice items but this is a shame. By chance have you made them aware of this? I bet they'd refund you your cost (all of a whopping couple of dollars). I tried to get my wife to buy one.

I did.

Monoprice usually have the very best products and I've been using them for years.

This case was like 4-5 bucks so it really isn't worth shipping back to them. I threw away the return slip.

The other cases I bought at the same time (different models) don't have this issue.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to mityfowl

Monoprice responded and made good.

I would have continued to do business with them either way.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

said by mityfowl:

Monoprice responded and made good.

I would have continued to do business with them either way.

I had a bum cable from them recently (although it could well have been a Mountain Lion problem). They replied to my inquiries for help immediately and fixed me up. Great company.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo