Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

[Hockey] Official 2013 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Now that the lock-out is over...

How many points can we expect for the Leafs?

I expect 23-21-2-2 for for 48 points. Not sure if that will be good enough for a playoff spot.

I wonder how many Toronto fans will not go back.

My best guess is zero. This is hockey...they'll be back.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'll watch. I'm a hockey fan. It's been a boring time sports wise for me since baseball ended, as I don't follow the NFL or the NBA.

As for points i dont know how many it will take to make the playoffs in 48 games...

Maybe they will, last year after 48 I think they were in a playoff position before the wheels fell off hehe...

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

That's true, can't recall exactly when the wheels fell off completely but it was around the 50 game mark IIRC. Everyone was pretty excited about the Leafs.

I wonder if this puts any dings in the Jays plans (for selling tickets), since some were looking for alternates to the Leafs to take clients...

But my line of work depends somewhat on hockey, so this is great news...

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
a point a game

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

If it's the Leafs, that's pretty much the way it's going to go.

Anyway, pretty sure there are a lot of very happy bar owners today. Couldn't come at a better time, being that the NFL is over and onto their playoffs.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
The wheels fell off for the leafs just after the all star game, so maybe they have a chance this year as for watching games yea i'll watch games but i wont go to any games.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Looks like the Leafs sent Brian Burke packing!

»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

So with Burke out the door, it remains to be seen whether the Leafs will pick up Luongo or not...

If they don't, I dont expect them to have good enough goaltending to make the playoffs, because its a short season and the races will be much closer.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by HiVolt:

So with Burke out the door, it remains to be seen whether the Leafs will pick up Luongo or not...

If they don't, I dont expect them to have good enough goaltending to make the playoffs, because its a short season and the races will be much closer.

And the boys need to play for 60 minutes and not 55 minutes. Somehow they have managed to lose in last few minutes.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

The local sports media here in Vancouver are getting reports the
Flyers are looking at Luongo!

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

The local sports media here in Vancouver are getting reports the
Flyers are looking at Luongo!

FaxCap

LOL, and what will they do with Bryzgalov and his 9 year contract? Maybe a 3 way deal with the Leafs for Bryzgalov hehe...

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to J E F F4

to J E F F4
Brian Burke fired: Decision by Toronto Maple Leafs’ new suits lacked class: Cox

»www.thestar.com/sports/l ··· lass-cox

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Of course the decision lacks class, just look who's calling the shots now... If Cox is correct and it's Bell's George Cope who pushed for this, well you just have to look at how classy Bell has been in the past 5 years with screwing everyone sideways in more ways that one...

If this is how things are gonna be under the new ownership, boy... get ready for a rough ride and I think we'll be longing for the teachers fund owning the leafs...

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Wasn't Burke let go due to the Luongo issue? That's what McCown was going on about anyway. He made an interesting point, though, that Burke has more star power than any of the players.

Should be interesting to see how this all pans out though. Looks like Rogers is hoping for some championships this year.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

Wasn't Burke let go due to the Luongo issue?

It's speculation... It could have been a tipping point, but everyone seems to agree that it was more about a personality conflict with the new owners.

But a potential refusal to deal for Luongo might have contributed to it.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Of course the decision lacks class, just look who's calling the shots now... If Cox is correct and it's Bell's George Cope who pushed for this, well you just have to look at how classy Bell has been in the past 5 years with screwing everyone sideways in more ways that one...

If this is how things are gonna be under the new ownership, boy... get ready for a rough ride and I think we'll be longing for the teachers fund owning the leafs...

agree with you 100%

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to J E F F4

Mod

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Wasn't Burke let go due to the Luongo issue? That's what McCown was going on about anyway. He made an interesting point, though, that Burke has more star power than any of the players.

I wonder if Burkie having more star power than Phaneuf, Kessel or Lupul is part of the problem, as shouldn't the "face of the franchise" be the star player and not the old guy with the untied tie? Compare TML to Pittsburgh (Crosby), Washington (Ovechkin), Ottawa (Alfredsson, but soon to be Spezza/Karlsson), Edmonton (Hall/Eberle/RNH), Philadelphia (Giroux et al).....it's supposed to be a player.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I tend to agree with that as well. The teachers were a problem because a faceless retired teachers' pension fund is not exactly the epitome of passionate sports enthusiasm, and I never thought it could possibly get worse than that. But Rogers+Bell are kind of like the two Princes of Hell -- they are actively evil.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

I tend to agree with that as well. The teachers were a problem because a faceless retired teachers' pension fund is not exactly the epitome of passionate sports enthusiasm, and I never thought it could possibly get worse than that. But Rogers+Bell are kind of like the two Princes of Hell -- they are actively evil.

Yeah, and like Bob McCown said today on PTS, that sooner or later Bell & Rogers will clash over certain things, especially broadcasting rights, and one will likely try to buy out the other.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

The irony here is that a major attribute that Rogers and Bell have in common is utter contempt for the customer, an attribute that MLSE already had for years before either of them had a major ownership stake. It's now kind of one big evil family, rife with exactly the kind of bureaucratic incompetence we've all learned to endure when calling customer service at either of those douchebag monopolies. I wonder what this says about how Leafs fans are going to be treated going forward?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Yeah, and like Bob McCown said today on PTS, that sooner or later Bell & Rogers will clash over certain things, especially broadcasting rights, and one will likely try to buy out the other.

If that happens, it's going to be an interesting power struggle to watch. Bell will never let Rogers assume control of MLSE as that would give them ownership of 3/4 of the major sports in Toronto (Jays/Leafs/Toronto FC), and I can't see Rogers letting Bell take over something with as much content and public exposure as MLSE.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Kardinal:

If that happens, it's going to be an interesting power struggle to watch. Bell will never let Rogers assume control of MLSE as that would give them ownership of 3/4 of the major sports in Toronto (Jays/Leafs/Toronto FC), and I can't see Rogers letting Bell take over something with as much content and public exposure as MLSE.

Don't forget the Raptors, who are under MLSE.

IMO this unholy alliance should have never formed, at least not in equal shares. I was fine if Rogers owned the majority of MLSE, and Bell stuck to their Habs investment and whatever other sports they can be into in the Quebec area.

Rogers has owned the Blue Jays for what 10 years now? They've never been accused of meddling in the day to day affairs.

And now it appears like Bell is meddling right away.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
Rogers and Bell set up an interesting arrangement that prevents either one from potentially conspiring with Tannenbaum to outvote the other, namely that their combined 75% stake is controlled by a single holding company in which each one has 50% ownership. Doesn't change anything you said, just an interesting sidelight. It means that any battle for control is removed from MLSE and is internal between Rogers and BCE. Whoever might get control of the holding company becomes the de facto owner of MLSE.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

And now it appears like Bell is meddling right away.

As far as I've heard, that's just an opinion / rumour in the middle of a lot of other ones about the Burke firing. I haven't seen a single piece of real evidence that would in any way support the theory.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Kardinal:

As far as I've heard, that's just an opinion / rumour in the middle of a lot of other ones about the Burke firing. I haven't seen a single piece of real evidence that would in any way support the theory.

Well, its certainly a plausible scenario, given the fact that Rogers has no history of meddling in the Blue Jays affairs, and I doubt Larry Tanenbaum wanted Burke fired... So it leaves Bell as a possible and likely aggressor.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to J E F F4

to J E F F4
From Yahoo web site.

Top 10 conspiracy theories about Brian Burke’s firing by the Toronto Maple Leafs

1. Burke’s Personal Problems Had Overshadowed His Professional Life
2. Ownership Didn’t Like Brian Burke
3. OK, Not So Much Ownership As Mainly George Cope
4. Burke Has a Dirty Mouth
5. Hence, Burke Wasn’t Corporate Enough For Ownership
6. Something Specific Went Down With Ownership
7. Brian Burke Didn’t Want a Roberto Luongo Trade
8. Ownership Didn’t Want a Roberto Luongo Trade
9. His Media Feuds Were Getting Stupid and Petty
10. He Burned Too Many Bridges With Other GMs

»ca.sports.yahoo.com/blog ··· nhl.html

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

All but number 8 might be true. All but number 8 are likely true...

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

the most likely answer is Burke was NOT a Yes Man...he also wasn't afraid to call it like it is...i can assure you those are two qualities Bell does NOT like.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
"Multiple reasons" sounds right to me. The Luongo matter, if it was relevant at all, might have been the last straw in a whole series of issues. His abrasive style and the fact that the Leafs never made the playoffs during his tenure would certainly have rubbed many the wrong way.

If Luongo had been the only issue and ownership had really valued Burke, they could have basically forced him to do the deal, though he might have resigned over it. But he was fired. It's true that his contract was supposed to give him final authority on trades, but his contract was also supposed to give him continued employment!

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to J E F F4

to J E F F4
One sports reporter here in Vancouver says Luongo will be traded to
Toronto tomorrow.

He also says tomorrow will be "moving day" with many many trades
made around the league.

He has always had good contacts.....I guess we'll know tomorrow if
he's still "in the know".

FaxCap