Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Kardinal

Re: [Hockey] Official 2013 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

said by Kardinal:

I miss Brian Burke -- it's just not the same without his "brand" of media presence comedy.

That's fine. Now the comedy has moved to the ice! ROFL.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to HiVolt
my bad...i had heard it was Nonis' doing.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by dirtyjeffer:

my bad...i had heard it was Nonis' doing.

Nope. Nonis was already a member of the Leafs staff in 2009 when Luongo's ridiculous contract was signed...
--

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to J E F F
Oh Crap. Leafs Win as time runs out. I have to admit it I didn't expect them to win. even in SO.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by loosedobbs:

Oh Crap. Leafs Win as time runs out. I have to admit it I didn't expect them to win. even in SO.

A win is a win is a win.

Isn't this the same team that ruined 3 home openers?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
F---ing TV went out when the leafs had a 3-2 lead and missed the rest of the game.

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

said by loosedobbs:

A win is a win is a win.

Isn't this the same team that ruined 3 home openers?

Agree. two points are important at this stage.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by loosedobbs:

Agree. two points are important at this stage.

the only "crappy" thing this season, is since all games are in your own conference, those 3 point games are a nightmare.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to loosedobbs
Haha I couldn't believe it that they scored on that last rush. OT win is fine with me.
--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
That goal by Frattin was gold.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

the only "crappy" thing this season, is since all games are in your own conference, those 3 point games are a nightmare.

Yeah, the playoff race picture is gonna be insane. so many teams are gonna be in it until the last few games.
--

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to J E F F
Good God, Kessel just can't buy a goal. He's having a great game except for his personal goose egg on the scoreboard.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
Well, the Leafs win a good one. That may have been the best game I've seen from them this year. Frattin, Kadri, Kessel, JVR all played fantastic with energy and jump.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yeah good comeback win for the Leafs... And yeah damn, Kessel is snakebitten big time.
--

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to J E F F
At last win at home again? I missed last period because of Person of Interest. Two important points. Now I pity Washington.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to J E F F
Man watching Kessel playing the "Bells of St. Mary's" off the iron behind the WAS goalie I could just imagine how frustrated he must have been.

But Washington looked like a team that just didn't give a crap about whatever their coach was saying. Adam Oates was a hell of a player but coaching that bunch in Washington has to be his personal hell...

NefCacnuck

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to J E F F
i know many of you have heard me seriously question the reason Kadri wasn't a regular part of the line-up last season, just thought i would point out a couple of things that have burning away at me.

Wilson's burn on Kadri was his defensive play...this, despite being tied for 2nd on the team with the best +/- last season...this season leading the team in points and tied for 3rd for +/- this season.

i've been trumpeting for a couple of years now that Kadri should have been a regular part of the team.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

loosedobbs

Toronto
said by dirtyjeffer:

i know many of you have heard me seriously question the reason Kadri wasn't a regular part of the line-up last season, just thought i would point out a couple of things that have burning away at me.

Wilson's burn on Kadri was his defensive play...this, despite being tied for 2nd on the team with the best +/- last season...this season leading the team in points and tied for 3rd for +/- this season.

i've been trumpeting for a couple of years now that Kadri should have been a regular part of the team.

I agree.

But what I dont understand Leafs had so many below average players, playing for entire season or two. Then they traded these guys in last 2-3 years and this guy get no chance at all? Defensive mistake are made by every player on this team in last 3-4 years. From top to bottom. So I don't buy he can not be in team because of defensive play or those mistakes.

I am not playing race card and I thing there must be some other reason for not promoting him for years. It must be something he said or something he did. Even the Marlies coach was screwing with him.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
Kadri was "cocky"...he was also like that when he was playing junior hockey with the Rangers and Knights...Hunter (London Knights coach) even benched him one night for not playing in the system...i'm not saying he is an angel, but he is still a kid (at the time, 18)...in the end, it was good to somewhat level his head, but it is important not to do it at the expense of ruining the player...remember Rob Schremp?

his junior career was spectacular, but he too was cocky...i think he was likely mismanaged when he was drafted, and sadly "ruined" what could have been a fantastic NHL player.

check out his Knights stats:
(year)----(Team)------------(GP)-(G)-(A)-(P)-(PIM)-(+/-)
2003-04 London Knights OHL 60 28 41 69 18 14
2004-05 London Knights OHL 62 41 49 90 54 36
2005-06 London Knights OHL 57 57 88 145 74 17
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
Yeah Robbie Schremp....Million Dollar hands, 5 cent head.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to J E F F
Caps lost once again. Is Oates going to be the first coach fired this season?

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dirtyjeffer
True, but lots of players have great junior careers and don't pan out at the NHL level for quite a number of different reasons, from attitude and drive to size, injuries and roster depth.

Alyn McCauley, anyone? He was injury-prone, but there are lots of great OHLers or even world junior players who don't seem to work out in the NHL even though they were fantastic at the junior level. Ctrl-V would be a great example.....the Oilers just sent him down to the AHL again.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

Caps lost once again. Is Oates going to be the first coach fired this season?

Doubt it. First year coaches usually have a bit more rope. Might not make it through the season, but probably not the first to go. Same goes for Bob Hartley.

I'd go with Peter Laviolette. But I wouldn't be too comfortable if I were Kirk Muller or Kevin Dineen.

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada
reply to Kardinal
Ctrl-V never played Junior. He still has great potential and I think they are thinking of grooming him to be a 3rd line checker with some scoring touches.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by JBear:

Ctrl-V never played Junior. He still has great potential and I think they are thinking of grooming him to be a 3rd line checker with some scoring touches.

??? Not in Canada, no, but he did in Sweden and was a key piece to their WJC team from 2008 to 2010 (and at the U18s as well).
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to J E F F
Marlies coach is on CBC right now. He is still not happy with Kadri and his defensive plays. Same players he supported for last 3-4 years have long been traded...Many of them played more NHL games than Marlies. Unnecessary Punishing some players while promoting many (below average)players for so long is bit too much.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
I remember when Kadri played for the Kitchener Rangers...I seem to recall that he was pretty good. We have some good alumni from this hockey club.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
So the Leafs laid an egg vs the bruins, played a horribly boring game...
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
Yup.... the game was a snoozer....

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to J E F F
i knew exactly how tonight's game vs the Canes was going to be before i even watched it...the usual conversations leading up the drop of the puck "Canes among the worse penalty killing and power play team in the league", "on slow start with Ward not looking his usual self", "Canes not a good team, and despite some off season acquisitions, are having a tough time getting chemistry with 7 new players"...as soon as they said all that prior to the puck drop, i knew the Leafs would lose...they play crap teams and find a way to play worse...on the "tying" goal by Bozak, i thought it looked like it deflected off something when it went in...when they went to review the goal, and they showed that "possible kick motion", i knew it would get called off...not because it was kicked in (it wasn't), but because that's just how things work out with this team...sure enough, it was called off...as soon as it was called off, i said "watch the Canes score now, just to rub salt in the wound"...sure enough, the Canes score on the power play right afterwards...honestly, i don't even know why i bother watching them play any more.
--

- George Orwell