join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to HiVolt

Re: [Hockey] Official 2013 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

said by HiVolt:

Yeah, and like Bob McCown said today on PTS, that sooner or later Bell & Rogers will clash over certain things, especially broadcasting rights, and one will likely try to buy out the other.

If that happens, it's going to be an interesting power struggle to watch. Bell will never let Rogers assume control of MLSE as that would give them ownership of 3/4 of the major sports in Toronto (Jays/Leafs/Toronto FC), and I can't see Rogers letting Bell take over something with as much content and public exposure as MLSE.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Kardinal:

If that happens, it's going to be an interesting power struggle to watch. Bell will never let Rogers assume control of MLSE as that would give them ownership of 3/4 of the major sports in Toronto (Jays/Leafs/Toronto FC), and I can't see Rogers letting Bell take over something with as much content and public exposure as MLSE.

Don't forget the Raptors, who are under MLSE.

IMO this unholy alliance should have never formed, at least not in equal shares. I was fine if Rogers owned the majority of MLSE, and Bell stuck to their Habs investment and whatever other sports they can be into in the Quebec area.

Rogers has owned the Blue Jays for what 10 years now? They've never been accused of meddling in the day to day affairs.

And now it appears like Bell is meddling right away.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Kardinal

Rogers and Bell set up an interesting arrangement that prevents either one from potentially conspiring with Tannenbaum to outvote the other, namely that their combined 75% stake is controlled by a single holding company in which each one has 50% ownership. Doesn't change anything you said, just an interesting sidelight. It means that any battle for control is removed from MLSE and is internal between Rogers and BCE. Whoever might get control of the holding company becomes the de facto owner of MLSE.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

And now it appears like Bell is meddling right away.

As far as I've heard, that's just an opinion / rumour in the middle of a lot of other ones about the Burke firing. I haven't seen a single piece of real evidence that would in any way support the theory.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Kardinal:

As far as I've heard, that's just an opinion / rumour in the middle of a lot of other ones about the Burke firing. I haven't seen a single piece of real evidence that would in any way support the theory.

Well, its certainly a plausible scenario, given the fact that Rogers has no history of meddling in the Blue Jays affairs, and I doubt Larry Tanenbaum wanted Burke fired... So it leaves Bell as a possible and likely aggressor.
--

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to J E F F

From Yahoo web site.

Top 10 conspiracy theories about Brian Burke’s firing by the Toronto Maple Leafs

1. Burke’s Personal Problems Had Overshadowed His Professional Life
2. Ownership Didn’t Like Brian Burke
3. OK, Not So Much Ownership As Mainly George Cope
4. Burke Has a Dirty Mouth
5. Hence, Burke Wasn’t Corporate Enough For Ownership
6. Something Specific Went Down With Ownership
7. Brian Burke Didn’t Want a Roberto Luongo Trade
8. Ownership Didn’t Want a Roberto Luongo Trade
9. His Media Feuds Were Getting Stupid and Petty
10. He Burned Too Many Bridges With Other GMs

»ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu···nhl.html

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1

All but number 8 might be true. All but number 8 are likely true...

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

the most likely answer is Burke was NOT a Yes Man...he also wasn't afraid to call it like it is...i can assure you those are two qualities Bell does NOT like.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to J E F F

"Multiple reasons" sounds right to me. The Luongo matter, if it was relevant at all, might have been the last straw in a whole series of issues. His abrasive style and the fact that the Leafs never made the playoffs during his tenure would certainly have rubbed many the wrong way.

If Luongo had been the only issue and ownership had really valued Burke, they could have basically forced him to do the deal, though he might have resigned over it. But he was fired. It's true that his contract was supposed to give him final authority on trades, but his contract was also supposed to give him continued employment!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to J E F F

One sports reporter here in Vancouver says Luongo will be traded to
Toronto tomorrow.

He also says tomorrow will be "moving day" with many many trades
made around the league.

He has always had good contacts.....I guess we'll know tomorrow if
he's still "in the know".

FaxCap

loosedobbs

Toronto

said by FaxCap:

One sports reporter here in Vancouver says Luongo will be traded to
Toronto tomorrow.

He also says tomorrow will be "moving day" with many many trades
made around the league.

He has always had good contacts.....I guess we'll know tomorrow if
he's still "in the know".

FaxCap

Can they be traded without players approving the contracts? Or is the approval today night or tomorrow?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

The players vote to ratify the CBA ends tomorrow morning (Saturday 8am). Owners already voted for it.

Then I suppose player movement can start tomorrow some time after it is officially announced that the players majority have accepted the CBA.
--

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

said by HiVolt:

The players vote to ratify the CBA ends tomorrow morning (Saturday 8am). Owners already voted for it.

Then I suppose player movement can start tomorrow some time after it is officially announced that the players majority have accepted the CBA.

I've heard the same (Saturday 8am), and I expect there will be both signings and trades announced. For Luongo, the teams have to agree to a trade but Bobby has to waive his NTC as well. He might pull a Heatley and "want options", so Toronto might be his Edmonton.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to J E F F

From Damien Cox

Brian Burke exclusive interview: Former Maple Leafs GM says he was ‘stunned’ by firing

As soon as he learned he had been relieved of his duties as general manager of hockey’s most scrutinized team, he bolted from the Air Canada Centre to pick up his two youngest daughters, aged 7 and 8, at school.

“They were okay. They just wanted to know if we’d have to move again. I said no.”

This morning, 48 hours after being dismissed in shocking fashion by the Maple Leafs and then agreeing to become a senior advisor to the team, the 57-year-old Burke walked into his preferred neighborhood coffee shop wearing a grey Providence College sweatshirt and a leather jacket.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” he said about Wednesday’s announcement. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

This is my one and only statement on the firing of Brian Burke. Hockey is a tough sport and you have to be tough to be in it. You take the
Don Cherry @CoachsCornerCBC

Then he has 5 more.

I am sure Brian will suck it up and move on.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Kardinal

I wonder if SportsNet/TSN will have a full day of signings coverage lol...

This is probably like trade deadline day or free agent day.
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to loosedobbs

From a money point of view, he's fine.

Not unlike Rogers/Bell to blindside someone, they do it all the time to their customers.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to J E F F

Damien Cox of the Star writes in his blog, about the poor handling of the Brian Burke firing.

Shades of Harold Ballard »www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/art···-why-cox....
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to J E F F

I like how Leafs media scrums are now pretty much Bell/Rogers employees facing off against each other.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

said by pnjunction:

I like how Leafs media scrums are now pretty much Bell/Rogers employees facing off against each other.

Yeah and in my opinion that will the down fall of the MLSE organization, and it will even be worst if one buys out the other. Again my opinion.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

I think if one buys out the other, things will be better. Right now (and it's just begun) you have two media rivals owning a premier sports team. The fighting has yet to begin.

What if Cope wants player A and Nadir wants Player b for the same position?

That's another reason Burke is gone, he'd tell them to pound sand,installing a weaker" GM you'd get to push him around and get your way.

Remember folks this is not about the sport, but it's about "content", so having a winning team, at any expense gets more eyeballs on your "content" driving more profit.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

said by elwoodblues:

Remember folks this is not about the sport, but it's about "content", so having a winning team, at any expense gets more eyeballs on your "content" driving more profit.

At this level sports **is** about having a winning team. The problem is that MLSE has never been about sports, it's always been about the bottom line, and I don't think this has changed. It will continue to be about money. Not sure that the incremental difference the playoffs make to the MLSE is going to cause much shaking of the foundations. It never did before. I think accurate predictions can be made by regarding Rogers+Bell as a pair of greedy incompetent businesses, nothing more. I don't think the fact that they are media companies is going to be particularly relevant to how they run the place.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by Wolfie00:

said by elwoodblues:

At this level sports **is** about having a winning team. The problem is that MLSE has never been about sports, it's always been about the bottom line, and I don't think this has changed. It will continue to be about money. Not sure that the incremental difference the playoffs make to the MLSE is going to cause much shaking of the foundations. It never did before. I think accurate predictions can be made by regarding Rogers+Bell as a pair of greedy incompetent businesses, nothing more. I don't think the fact that they are media companies is going to be particularly relevant to how they run the place.

Sorry but I do have to disagree, why do you think they bought it? For the revenue? Peanuts compared to their other services .

They want to monetize the leafs,get you to pay to watch it on their channels, on their distribution network, on their wireless networks.

Before the some of the money went to MLSE, now they get it all.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

I know why they bought it, and in that respect you're quite correct. I remember speaking with Ted Rogers myself many years ago and I know how those guys think. He was talking about "convergence" way back in the 80's. He passed on some years ago but those ideas have been embraced not just by Rogers but obviously by Bell, too.

It makes sense (to a degree) for media companies to invest in things they understand and can exploit, like sports and entertainment. My disagreement with you is that I don't think it's going to make the slightest bit of difference in how MLSE is run from a sports perspective. There will no doubt be changes in licensing agreements with various broadcasters and perhaps various new money-grubbing broadcast/streaming services. That, and the fact that MLSE is a gold mine, is why they bought it.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

Bell was talking about "convergence" when I started working for them in 1999. Jean Monty was all over it at the time.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to J E F F

JVR left the ice at camp, after taking a Komisarek shot to the foot. No word on severity.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to shaner

The first round of "convergence" was an utter failure, the modern day equivalent has been a success from a corporate perspective.

For consumers, it's been a huge FAIL, socking it to use with newspaper paywalls, and overpriced tv subscriptions to name 2.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bt

said by bt:

JVR left the ice at camp, after taking a Komisarek shot to the foot. No word on severity.

LOL, damn Komi...
--

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by HiVolt:

said by bt:

LOL, damn Komi...

Why can't Komisarek hit the net with that kind of accuracy

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

Komisarek is cursed in Toronto...sadly.

loosedobbs

Toronto

said by dirtyjeffer:

Komisarek is cursed in Toronto...sadly.

Actually Once you are traded to Toronto the career is ended. So the leafs uniform is the curse. Komi was unlucky to join Leafs...goalies, D-man, forwards and Fighters...the list is too long.