spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fromabuick82
join:2013-01-06
Erlanger, KY

fromabuick82

Switch from insight to Cincinnati Bell Fiber Optics

Looks like Cincinnati Bell finally has fiber optics available in my area. Not sure if it will be true fiber to my door or not. I currently use Insight (Erlanger Ky Area) i only have their internet, so that is all i would need from CBFO. Looks like the 10mb service from CBFO would be about $10 a month cheaper.

Are there some folks in the Erlanger area who can speak to how well CBFO works in this area. Also i want to just use my own wireless router, but i do not see an option that does not include a router.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

You can probably tell whether it is true FTTH by the internet speeds offered. If it only offers 30 Mbps download or less then it is probably an FTTN installation.

On FTTN installations CB supplies a modem/router but it should be possible to place the unit in bridge mode and use an existing router.

Note that if you take the IPTV service and use your own router then your router would need to be able to supply IGMP proxying service.
Crackbone
join:2013-01-03
Ft Mitchell, KY

Crackbone to fromabuick82

to fromabuick82
I'm in Edgewood. The service I had installed was FTTH.

The service is highly superior to the Insight internet service (20Mb) I had previously, not only in speed but also general stability of the connection (packet loss, ping, jitter, etc).

I am currently using the router that they supplied, and using the wireless router they provided as a WiFi extender.

As was mentioned, if they offer you 30/5, it's more than likely a FTTH install.
fromabuick82
join:2013-01-06
Erlanger, KY

fromabuick82

Ok thanks a lot, looking at the web page it offers all the way to 100 Mpbs so it sounds like they offer fiber to the house.

I think i might make the switch, i have been happy with the insight service, but paying $50 a month for 10 Mbps has always irked me. I also just received a letter from them saying it was going to be more expensive.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet

Yes - if 100Mbps is offered then it isn't a FTTN connection. If FTTH is being offered you can probably see the fiber connection points on the streets outside. The connectors on the bottom distinguish them from other overhead enclosures. See the pic in this thread:

»TONS of Fioptics Questions
Crackbone
join:2013-01-03
Ft Mitchell, KY

Crackbone to fromabuick82

to fromabuick82
I too was fairly happy with their service, but their pricing was another matter entirely.

Additionally, I've seen price increases over the last couple of months on both the TV and internet side.

So far it's been a relatively painless transition. Their STBs need some work (IPTV) but they've been fairly reliable, however, it's not inconvenient enough not to take the price discount and the superior internet service.