how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ridata101

join:2012-09-14
Oshawa, ON

Express only 12mbps?

I've been on the express tier for a long time, 60GB a month for 12mbps/512. To get the updated speed and cap they wanted me to get a new modem 80GB and faster speeds.

I called up to cancel my internet and they offered me 25Mbps down 2mbps up with 300gb for 3 bucks less then I'm paying now which is about $56.90 a month with tax for one year (no contract) with modem rental.

I cannot get past 12mbps, speed boost takes me upto 30mbps or so for the first like 15 seconds after that it drops to 12. My upload speed also won't go faster then 512KB/sec.

I called up rogers to ask what's wrong and they want to me to switch out my gateway from the SMC to the Cisco. He insisted that this would fix my problem and if it didn't they can run tests on the new modem.

Has anyone else experience this or something close to this and do you know if a modem switch would fix it?

These are the same speeds as before I updated to the new modem/gateway

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

Unfortunately, there are many posts in this forum regarding the Express Student Package you refer to. The 300GB package only includes 12/.512 speeds. Here's one example. There are many more posted here for your reference.

said by Rogersfail :

DO NOT take that plan. We recently cancelled due to Roger's absolutely ludicrous internet packages/bandwidth caps and the pricing to go with them.

Retentions offered me that same plan. We had ultimate internet at the time and I explicitly stated 'I keep the same speed and just get a higher cap' to which the CSR in retentions lied and said yes. No surprise hearing lies from Robbers of course. They're always full of crap.

Turns out the package is called '300GB High Speed Express' The kicker is that this package doesn't actually even have the speed of Express which is 28Mbps, you actually get 15Mbps. This is some package they offered students for a while and comes with that low speed and the higher cap. It's a pure rip off, they offered it me for $62 as well.

You can get 300gig and 28Mbps from Teksavvy for $45 a month vs Rogers 300gig and 15Mbps a month.

Rogers is so committed to the notion of not giving reasonable bandwidth caps and milking the cow of overages charges. Bandwidth costs them nothing, they pay for pipes of a stated capacity and have tons of capacity, not for bandwidth.

My advice is get out. After they lied to me and I then had to call in and deal with their bull, my wife and I are cancelling our cell phones with them, cancelling our televions.. the works.

We need foreign companies brought in that are willing to compete in the internet space here, there are no shortage of them. CRTC is bought and paid for by Bell/Rogers, that along with the two of them colluding on prices for duopoly is screwing us all. Rogers gets not a dime from us any more.

Ridata101

Oshawa, ON

I record all calls with rogers and she quoted me 25/2 with 300GB at a cost of 3 less per month then the regular express with no contract.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by Ridata101:

I record all calls with rogers and she quoted me 25/2 with 300GB at a cost of 3 less per month then the regular express with no contract.

I see you're in for a steep learning curve my friend. Rogers frontline CSRs, 99% of the time, have no actual knowledge of the product they're selling. They read from a script. They will tell you whatever it takes to make a sale.

Their fallback excuse for their complete and utter failure to deliver the product and to cover their butt is to blame the modem. If you would take the time to search the threads in this Rogers forum the proof and customer experiences are all the evidence you need.

THE 300GB EXPRESS PLAN HAS ALWAYS AND WILL ALWAYS BE 12/.512mbps 300GB CAP.

Sadly, you've been ripped off. Call and cancel the service. You have 30 days to do so. It's the law.

said by yyzlhr:

They are wrong the Express for 300GB is ONLY 12mbps and there are no plans at least at this time to bump up the speed. This tier was originally created for the student promotion. The original student promo gave customers 160gb at 18mbps, but Bell came out with a promo that gave customers a lot more usage but often with lower speeds due to lower FTTN penetration. In response, Rogers created a 12mbps tier with 300gb of usage.

anon344324

@rogers.com

There's no script. Never has been. The problem is lack of training and proper sharing of information by all departments.

Lazy employee's play a role as well.

I work in various positions in Rogers call centers for 12 years and never once was i given a script to read from.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by anon344324 :

There's no script. Never has been. The problem is lack of training and proper sharing of information by all departments.

Lazy employee's play a role as well.

I work in various positions in Rogers call centers for 12 years and never once was i given a script to read from.

Well, I'm sure we'll all sleep much better at nite knowing that.

We don't really care whether there's a script or not.

Rogers lies to/rips off their customers..........and we're the ones paying the price. We don't care why Rogers does it. We just want it to stop.

Bottom line: If you want to help make amends for all the harm your past/present employer has caused over the past 12 years then hopefully you will post here on a regular basis advising the victims of Rogers misinformation and cash grabbing schemes.

Thanks in advance.........

Ridata101

Oshawa, ON

3 bucks a month cheaper for the same speed i had before but 300GB instead of 60.

You actually have more then 30 days to cancel, you have till your billing date to read any terms on your bill.

Why would I cancel it? It would cost me 3 bucks more and go back to the 60 cap instead of 300 at the same speed.

I'll be switching out my modem tomorrow for the Cisco and then we'll see.

elitefx

London, ON

said by Ridata101:

I'll be switching out my modem tomorrow for the Cisco and then we'll see.

As a point of reference, this is my Express 25/2 80GB on a Cisco Docsis 3 modem. Best of luck in your endeavors:

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Ridata101

Changing your modem won't do anything. The speed is tied to the product code on the account. The reason why people needed to switch to D3 modems to get the express with 25mbps and 80gb per usage is because rogers engineered their billing system to not accept the new Express product code with a D2 modem.

Beermage

@rogers.com

For some strange reason the Express packages with 20GB and 80GB Usage Assurance are compatible with the Docsis 2 modem and offer 25 down and 2 up.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by Beermage :

For some strange reason the Express packages with 20GB and 80GB Usage Assurance are compatible with the Docsis 2 modem and offer 25 down and 2 up.

Yea, you're right. We went through this sideways last spring here. We know a D2 is good for up to 28mbps. It's just another Rogers "Buy/Rent a D3 Gateaway" scam.

Rogers way or the highway............what a choice.

EDIT: now I remember. 28mbps on a D2 doesn't allow for any overhead. D3 downstream channels bonded is the best way to go. Never figured why Rogers demanded D3 on their old Express 18mbps package though.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to Beermage

said by Beermage :

Yep there's even a special higher upstream package that offers 12/2 with 60gb on a D2.

Ridata101

Oshawa, ON

I switched out my modem this morning. I've done various tests of my speed (trying to use tests over 200MB) so that speed boost doesn't factor in.

I can't get above 12.2Mbps after speed boost drops off. Speed boost can hit uptowards of 50mbps with this new cisco modem, the SMC would only hit 30 with speedboost.

I've tried various places to send files and I cap out at about 50KB/sec, i've seen it jump to around 61KB/sec for a second or to but then drops back down to 47-50KB/sec of constant speed.

Which tells me that my speed is 12mbps/512kbps.

Next step is to call rogers and start my tech support crusade.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by Ridata101:

Next step is to call rogers and start my tech support crusade.

Um no, there is nothing to troubleshoot, as you're getting exactly what you're paying for. If this is not adequate, I would cancel while you can.

elitefx

London, ON
reply to Ridata101

said by Ridata101:

I've tried various places to send files and I cap out at about 50KB/sec, i've seen it jump to around 61KB/sec for a second or to but then drops back down to 47-50KB/sec of constant speed.

You also have added issues with your upload speed. 50KB/s x8=400 not 512. .512 divided by 8=64KB/sec. When I was on 18/.512 I uploaded at a constant 62 or 63KB/sec. The cloud server I use monitors upload speed down to 3 decimal points eg 62.387KB/sec.

Sounds like you have line/connection issues on top of your other current issues. Run a ping test to determine line quality.

blueeyesm

join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to Ridata101

I recently had the same issue as I had an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

I was never offered a 300GB plan. I rented my modem and swapped it out.

I have run several speed tests and performed various file transfers. I have not had your issue with the new "modem" (set to bridge mode - I have my own firewalled router), but have seen others with it, or other issues such as just outright connection issues via wifi.

I've been able to easily exchange files at speeds well above 50kbps. That being said, this may be a great opportunity to

a) have them check it out and resolve the issue then

b) just tell them you have had enough and are cancelling, as yyzlhr stated.

Ridata101

Oshawa, ON
reply to yyzlhr

You're wrong. I was quoted 25/2 @300GB.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1 edit

said by Ridata101:

And the quote was wrong. The phone reps see "Express", assume it means 25/2 and tell you that. Except the Express plan with 300GB usage isn't 25/2, it's 12/0.5.

Tech support won't do anything for you, because there isn't anything they can do for you except to tell you exactly what we're telling you.

You'll be given the option of keeping 12/0.5 @300GB, or not.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to Ridata101

said by Ridata101:

Don't understand your intransigence my friend. yyzlhr knows what he's talking about as do the rest of us. We're only trying to give you the best advice to work with. Why ask for assistance if you won't consider our advice?

We don't care. It's your Internet and you paying the bill. There's no real world benefit in any of this for us.

Ridata101

Oshawa, ON

Ok, that was a very long conversation with rogers.

Long story short. I now have 25/2 @ 300GB for 45.99 a month and no modem rental for 8 months and no contract.

Have a good day.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by Ridata101:

Ok, that was a very long conversation with rogers.

Long story short. I now have 25/2 @ 300GB for 45.99 a month and no modem rental for 8 months and no contract.

Have a good day.

Hmm.. yeah, I'd double check that too, as that promo normally only gives you 160gb.

Ridata101

Oshawa, ON

Really?

Ugh. I don't want to be in phone jail anymore. hehe

I'll call them tomorrow to confirm.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

Like dealing with the Devil Himself. Plan was supposed to end Dec. 31. Anyhoo:

Need Lots of Data?

Get a massive 160GB of data for 8 months
Up to 25Mbps download speed

Express Internet

$45.99/mo

For 8 mos. No term contract. Includes all monthly fees and N Gateway Wi-Fi Modem rental.

Makaveli998

join:2002-04-23

I was on a docsis 2.0 surfboard and when I called to upgrade they offered me this plan.

The most I could get from it was 12/2.

So I went to the rogers store picked up a Docsis 3.0 Hitron then got them to switch my plan to the 45/4 extreme plus package and 55% off my internet for the next 2 years

With that student package it seems the speed varies depending on your region. I didn't have time or care to mess around with that and got upgraded the same night.