uniqs

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: GM recalling pickups and SUVs

said by dirtyjeffer0:

, disaster was averted, but i wasn't too happy when he did that.

was he advised there was a normal functioning part of your car not functioning? Not really his fault.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

no, but it is common knowledge (especially for a "car guy") to know that emergency brakes on automatic transmission equipped cars are not usually used...when buying a used car, and needing to certify it, it is likely something that may need to be fixed for the safety.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by dirtyjeffer0:

no, but it is common knowledge (especially for a "car guy") to know that emergency brakes on automatic transmission equipped cars are not usually used...when buying a used car, and needing to certify it, it is likely something that may need to be fixed for the safety.

meh, excuses. I don't leave shit on my cars in a broken state.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

in case you haven't been reading, it wasn't broken...i just never used it.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Last Parade:

chicken and egg

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Last Parade:

chicken and egg

the reality is, when i was bringing it for service, it was being serviced as a maintenance item...if it weren't, surely it wouldn't have worked...therefore, i don't "leave shit on my cars in a broken state".
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by dirtyjeffer0:

the reality is, when i was bringing it for service, it was being serviced as a maintenance item...if it weren't, surely it wouldn't have worked...therefore, i don't "leave shit on my cars in a broken state".

1. Did you learn anything from this?

2. There is no maintenance for e-brakes other than using them or removing them to administer lubricants.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i should start using the ebrake on my Kia, just to be sure it continues to work...to be honest, i've never used an ebrake on any of the automatic transmission cars i have owned over the decades and it has never been an issue.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by dirtyjeffer0:

i should start using the ebrake on my Kia, just to be sure it continues to work...to be honest, i've never used an ebrake on any of the automatic transmission cars i have owned over the decades and it has never been an issue.

Newer cars may have advanced designs that negate corrosion so you may never have to.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Newer cars may have advanced designs that negate corrosion so you may never have to.

well, i'll try to remember to start using it anyway...it will at least help out with the transmission, even though i have a long warranty on everything.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

well, i'll try to remember to start using it anyway...it will at least help out with the transmission, even though i have a long warranty on everything.

I would not operate on the assumption that a warranty would cover something like this if they determine you never used your parking brake.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by peterboro:

Once a month should do, especially in the winter. That said with new complete enclosures of the cable from the interior engagement device to the caliper it may not be necessary.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

when i get my tires switched out in the spring, i'll see if i can get a peak at how my car's system works.