Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out

Transferring apps and data to a new phone

I finally had enough of dropping calls from Sprint. This past week I bought a Verizon Galaxy S3 a few days ago. My previous phone was an Epic 4G. On the old phone I had a custom Rom (Cyanogen Mod 10) and I took the 16 GB microSD card and put it in the Galaxy S3. I am going to root the phone as soon as I figure out the best way to set things up. I would also like to restore the Epic 4G to Stock Gingerbread.

With the S3 I will just root at first and continue to run Touch Wiz for awhile and maybe do a custom Rom on down the road. I have installed all of the apps I want except Titanium Pro which I will add once I'm rooted. The only app I want to restore data from is Mileage as I have been tracking mileage and cost of fuel for the past 1.5 years. For some reason the data file on the sd card had no info. I'm hoping Titanium has it in the backup I performed just before buying the S3. When everything is done I would like to wipe out all backups from the SD card and only back up the clean new setup.

What order should I do things in? Restore the old phone first?
Will I need another microSD card for the Epic or will it just use the system memory which is hopefully enough with no apps on it.
Can anybody with a Sprint account then activate the phone?

I have already downloaded Odin, clockwork Mod, etc and will research on how to put stock Gingerbread back on the Epic which was the last supported version.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

One thing at a time. Go here for restore 4G to stock.
»epiccm.blogspot.com/p/stock-firmware.html
Yes, after that, and even like it is, another Sprint account holder should be able to activate, as long as it is clean (not attached to an unpaid bill).
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

Post Op
Premium
inside out

Epic 4G is restored to Stock running Froyo and all data is wiped. I had several failed attempts using Odin on Windows 7 running in VMware Fusion on my iMac. It worked perfectly on the first attempt on my wife's 10 year old laptop running Windows XP.
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

said by Post Op:

Epic 4G is restored to Stock running Froyo and all data is wiped. I had several failed attempts using Odin on Windows 7 running in VMware Fusion on my iMac. It worked perfectly on the first attempt on my wife's 10 year old laptop running Windows XP.

Ha Ha. I won't say it.
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
reply to Post Op

I tend to trust google back up predominately, it avoid loading previous apps that may no longer be compatible. TiBU is still good but mainly for data for apps Google reinstalled.
--

Post Op
Premium
inside out
reply to Post Op

I finally had some time and got my new S3 rooted using the xda guide:
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=2046439

and this video:

»www.droid-life.com/2012/12/17/ne···ly-bean/

I'm now running the stock Verizon Jelly Bean rooted. I installed Titanium Backup and restored the data from my mileage app so I'm a happy camper. Maybe tomorrow I'll figure out what I can delete from my SD card. I'll have to see if there's a way to backup the mileage data a simpler way. Titanium backup seems like overkill since I can reinstall apps from the playstore.
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

I highly recommend reading this, all 5 pages before flashing anything.
»docs.google.com/document/d/1nugd···KYk/edit
Then study up on rom's
»rootzwiki.com/forum/521-verizon-···lopment/
among others.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to PeeWee

said by PeeWee:

said by Post Op:

Ha Ha. I won't say it.

Well I will oh yeah that PERFECT Mac world never fails
--

Post Op
Premium
inside out
reply to Post Op

I have really liked my iMac since January 2008 and I don't want to start a apple vs windows debate. There's plenty of that going on already.

I just ran across mention of a program called Heimdall which is the Mac version of Odin. I will have to investigate. There also may be a way for me to use Odin in my virtual Windows 7. Maybe it just requires a little tweaking. I would however like as little tweaking as possible.

I also downloaded Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. I'm hoping whenever key lime pie is ready for an OTA update it will make it simple to update while keeping root access.
--