Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I have a DIR-655 router (which isn't even dual band), and I've streamed HD video alongside computer use with no problems. Then again, I don't have 17 Xboxes, 36 computers and 6 printers running simultaneously alongside the HD video.

For me, the convenience wins. Maybe I just don't have high demands of my equipment... but to each their own.

I tried a Vizio smart HDTV via wireless where my router was about 1' away from the TV. I couldn't stream HD video from Hulu Plus or Amazon without buffering issues. Amazon was smart enough to suggest switching to standard definition.

I wish wireless worked better, but for sustained HD streams, it's tough in my experience.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

For new constructions I can understand multiple outlets per room, maybe one per wall.

Eventually it's overkill to put multiple outlets per wall in a bedroom. You don't like switches but I'm sure that a switch can easily fit in the same shelf as the PS3, Xbox360, Wii, TV, etc etc.

Laptops typically run on WiFi, you can plug them in, but who bothers?

For existing constructions, the effort to get one outlet per bedroom is already a lot, so there's no point to go ahead and put a ton unless you KNOW you need them at said specific location.

MatrixHDV, what program is that? Can it be run on a router? Im curious of what noise is around my house, even if it's a single detached home with brick walls.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by pandora:

I tried a Vizio smart HDTV via wireless where my router was about 1' away from the TV. I couldn't stream HD video from Hulu Plus or Amazon without buffering issues. Amazon was smart enough to suggest switching to standard definition.

I wish wireless worked better, but for sustained HD streams, it's tough in my experience.

Get a better access point.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

MatrixHDV, what program is that? Can it be run on a router? Im curious of what noise is around my house, even if it's a single detached home with brick walls.

Not sure if the dongle is still available but it probably can be had from e-bay used or maybe another type USB dongle might work but the app can be downloaded here.

»www.ubnt.com/airview/downloads
»www.ubnt.com/airview
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Get a better access point.

Most of the wire is run and there is no problem (for me).

My cost will be approximately $4,000 for installation and $1,000 - $1,200 for all cables and connectors once it's all up. I'm comfortable with this. Others may not be. The server cost $600, I'll probably be paying nearly 1K per 48 port switch x 1 or 2. Cameras run $100 a piece times about 9.

In each bedroom, I anticipate one nearly full box of 7 Ethernet connectors used, and the other boxes mostly unused. I will only connect active cable to a switch (aside for testing).

I have yet to get very good streaming from any access point, and when multiple devices are streaming, failure is always the result.

You may have a different situation and better experience. For me, this is a solution that works. I was just amazed to think of wires by the mile instead of by the foot or meter which is how I usually think of them.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

2 recommendations

mattmag

said by pandora:

I was just amazed to think of wires by the mile instead of by the foot or meter which is how I usually think of them.

That's OK, we were all amazed by 7 network cable runs per wall plate....