share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to pike

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by pike:

You also have quite a bit of overlapping technology there and most people don't go for that level of redundancy. A network switch is the ideal solution in this scenario as you're not likely to be using more than 2 (or even 1) of those devices at a time in any high-bandwidth demand.

I don't like using switches. I like everything home run. That way upgrading to a newer technology like 10 gig is easy, just replace the main switch and I'm done.

There's overlap but each device has services that the other doesn't have. The Smart TV has amazon instant video, while Apple obviously doesn't. Apple TV has AirPlay mirroring, the network receiver has siriusXM streaming radio and the XBOX is used for windows media center. The nice thing about the network receiver is I can leave the TV off while listening to the streaming radio.

My blu-ray player doesn't have streaming but it has bd-live. BD also requires periodic firmware updates to play newer discs. It's easier to do this over the network.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by fifty nine:

I don't like using switches. I like everything home run. That way upgrading to a newer technology like 10 gig is easy, just replace the main switch and I'm done.

Wish you the best on getting 10G on CAT6.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by ke4pym:

said by fifty nine:

Wish you the best on getting 10G on CAT6.

Technically I have 6A but the way I have it setup I can upgrade the cabling easily and even run fiber if I wanted to.

I doubt I'll be going 10 gig anytime soon but I'm relatively future proof.