Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly

Re: Outlook 2010, POP3, Cogeco and Windows 8

said by Pauly:

outlook 2010 does not work fine for me on windows 8....

Configuration issue, recheck your mail settings.

If you relay your error message we might be able to help you.
Expand your moderator at work

WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

WarningU2 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: Outlook 2010, POP3, Cogeco and Windows 8

Turns out it was a configuration issue. Likely password from what I can decipher. He did tell me that he let it (outlook) do its automatic configuration. That worked. He thinks he specifed smtp authentication and possibly the wrong password.

What's more disconcerting to me was that he was told by Cogeco support that Windows 8 doesn't support pop3 for Outlook. From researching this on the Internet there does appear to be a lot of misinformation on the subject. It doesn't with the included email client. The good news is that it does support Outlook and POP3 if you have the right settings

Thanks for your help.
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

jpaik

said by WarningU2:

Turns out it was a configuration issue. Likely password from what I can decipher. He did tell me that he let it (outlook) do its automatic configuration. That worked. He thinks he specifed smtp authentication and possibly the wrong password.

AFAIK, Cogeco config still does not support SMTP authentication, something many of us want!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by jpaik:

AFAIK, Cogeco config still does not support SMTP authentication, something many of us want!

RFC 3207, February 2002
RFC 3848, July 2004
RFC 4422, June 2006
RFC 4954, July 2007

SMTP Auth has been around for quite a while. In internet time, 12 generations.

Don't hold your breath. People have been bellyaching to Cogeco about this for years, to no avail.

Mike

kittyburgers
join:2012-01-31

kittyburgers

I'm now wondering if START supports SMTP Auth. Has anybody had experience with this?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by kittyburgers:

I'm now wondering if START supports SMTP Auth. Has anybody had experience with this?

I'll ask in the Start forum, but it's moot for me anyway.
I don't use ISP email addresses or servers, ever.

Mike
Klocks
join:2013-03-06

Klocks

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum.
I've been forever trying to help my wife with her cogeco webmail address using Outlook 2010 with Windows 7 home premium and windows 7 ultimate.
I've tried on two separate laptops.
We used all the settings taken from the Cogeco site
We're able to receive mail but can't send mail.
We tried them on the phone and they tell us that they do not give support for Outlook 2010

Any suggestions?

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

said by Klocks:

Any suggestions?

The only idea I can come up with (assuming you are on a Cogeco connection when you try sending), is that you might be trying to log into the SMTP server, which isn't required. Make sure you're not using a username and password for the SMTP server.
Klocks
join:2013-03-06

Klocks

Thanks for the reply

No, the location where we are using the computer has Bell as thier ISP

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Klocks:

No, the location where we are using the computer has Bell as thier ISP

You need to use Bell's SMTP server for the outgoing. Ask in the Bell forum for an SMTP server she can use that doesn't require authentication, I think my notes are outdated.