how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format

join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

6 years since my last build...Here goes nothing!

Trying not to break the bank and piss off my wonderful wife. I told her I was going to keep it below $800 but It looks like I fibbed a little. I am keeping my current GPU which is a GTX 560 Ti with plenty of life left. It's been AGES since I put one together so please be gentle. Also keeping current mouse (G500)/keyboard (you don't want to know). I am never going pre-made again.

(Newegg $914.93)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 ($219.99)

HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s ($104.99)

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX ($144.99)

MEMORY: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 ($49.99)

POWER: CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC ($99.99)

COOLER: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler ($114.99)

CASE: Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower (Love the looks and cable management) ($179.99)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

A couple questions--do you plan on overclocking the ram or the CPU? The CPU cooler is a big waste if you aren't going to OC--the $20 Hyper 212+ is just as good at stock speeds; likewise, you could save some money if you stick to 1600 mhz ram if you don't plan on OCing the ram.

About the PSU... all you really need if you aren't going dual-GPUs is about 550-600w; you could even get away with a good 500w one if you like.

The case is the most disproportionally expensive part of the build. If your heart is set on it, fine. But the Corsair 300R is $50 right now, if you're interested.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Grethor

Tacoma, WA

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I do indeed plan to OC this in the future when I eventually install a newer GPU so the liquid cooling is just a bit of pre-planning on my part. Same thing with the PSU. Keeping door open in case I decide to go SLI.

I agree with you on the case being out of proportion with the rest of the build but I just fell in love with it.

Again, many thanks for the comment.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

In that case, everything looks good. Just make sure your ram is 1.5v and not 1.6 or 1.65v.

Go ahead and pull the trigger when you are ready.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Grethor

Tacoma, WA

1 edit

The ram on my current list is indeed 1.6v

Should I switch over to G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (1.5v)?

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Grethor

I agree about the case being a bit pricey for the build. I would take a few more hours and see if there's some other cases that are just as aesthetically pleasing w/ cable management that you can find for cheaper.

About water cooling... I OC my 3570K with a Hyper 212 Evo up to 4.4 GHz and it keeps things well below any danger levels. It's a VERY powerful cooler with an amazing price point.

My suggestion - Drop the H100i for a Hyper 212 Evo (Save $85). Find a tad cheaper case (Save ~$50). Get yourself a 128GB SSD (Crucial/Samsung 830s).

kw
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6
reply to Grethor

said by Grethor:

Should I switch over to G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (1.5v)?

No. It won't make a difference.

Find a cheaper case and drop the CPU cooler like others have said. You'll shave $200 off your build easily and be just as happy. Newegg offers coupons on cases pretty often. If you sign up for their newsletter, I'm sure you'll get some coupon codes later this week.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Grethor

Two alternatives for case:

NZXT Phantom 410 - $99.99
Corsair 500T - $99.99

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to kw

said by kw:

said by Grethor:

No. It won't make a difference.

tl;dr: Yes it will make a difference, as using overvolted ram in Ivy Bridge may lead to CPU degradation over time. If you already have the memory, you need to ascertain for yourself how important that risk is. If you have not yet bought it, there is no reason to purposefully put ram that is outside the safe specs onto the mobo.

The H100i may keep it cool enough to offset the additional heat, or it may not. There is overclocked 1.5v memory out there, he should go for it if overclocking the memory is important to him.

For details, we've been over this subject before:
»Ivy Bridge and 1.65v ram = no-go?
»Voltage requirement for Z77?
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Grethor

Personally, I'd find 1600 DDR3 1.5v RAM, as higher speeds have shown little (less than 2%) to no improvement in tasks for the premium. Even when you OC, there is no good reason to spend the extra money.

I would also drop the cooler to a $30 air cooler (Hyper 212 is fine). You can OC the crap out of the 1155 stuff with an air cooler. Your chip will limit you before your temperatures do.

The case is also EXTREMELY expensive. I would personally get the R4 from Fractal Design.

Then, as others have said, I would get a 128GB SSD with the savings. Why? I cannot understate how big of a difference an SSD makes. EVERYTHING opens fast and makes the PC lightning quick in everyday computing.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage
reply to Grethor

The Antec online store sells refurbished cases for 30 to 50% saving. The cases usually don't come w/ a PSU like their retail counterparts but you can't beat the prices. I purchased an Antec 302 case for 47.00 including S/H. The case I purchased looked new and came w/ 2 out the 4 fans. Supply is hit or miss sometimes. »store.antec.com/Category/benclosure.aspx

Grethor

Tacoma, WA

You guys are incredibly helpful. I am dead set on the case, however.

I went ahead and replaced the ram with 1.5 volt ram.

I DO intend on getting an SSD (perhaps a mSATA drive since my MOBO supports it) but not until the price comes down. The case I see as a long term investment that I plan to upgrade/rebuild into in the future.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by Grethor:

I DO intend on getting an SSD (perhaps a mSATA drive since my MOBO supports it) but not until the price comes down. The case I see as a long term investment that I plan to upgrade/rebuild into in the future.

Don't hook up your SSD with mSATA, since most only support 3GB/s.

It might depend on what MB and SSD you get though. But at least my Z77 Gigabyte UD5H doesn't support it. More then likely, yours won't either.

Grethor

Tacoma, WA

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Grethor:

Don't hook up your SSD with mSATA, since most only support 3GB/s.

It might depend on what MB and SSD you get though. But at least my Z77 Gigabyte UD5H doesn't support it. More then likely, yours won't either.

Many thanks!

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
reply to Grethor

I'm not sure you'll see prices drop all that much over the next 6-12 months. They're already ridiculously cheap. Keep a lookout for sales. I got my Crucial m4 256 GB for $160 off Amazon (~$35 off).

Expand your moderator at work

kw
Premium
New Albany, OH
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: 6 years since my last build...Here goes nothing!

said by Krisnatharok:

Yes it will make a difference, as using overvolted ram in Ivy Bridge may lead to CPU degradation over time.

Yes, I'm sure the 20 years his CPU would've lasted will be greatly diminished to 19.7 years.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Grethor

Looks solid. I've had ZERO luck with Gigabyte mobo's.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to kw

said by kw:

said by Krisnatharok:

Yes it will make a difference, as using overvolted ram in Ivy Bridge may lead to CPU degradation over time.

Yes, I'm sure the 20 years his CPU would've lasted will be greatly diminished to 19.7 years.

You can troll and make light of the issue and ignore the warnings, or simply use 1.5v ram.
--

kw
Premium
New Albany, OH

2 edits

said by Krisnatharok:

You can troll and make light of the issue and ignore the warnings, or simply use 1.5v ram.

Not trolling. The "extra work" on the CPU would be marginal at best. If the 1.65v RAM is cheaper, there is no reason not to go for it. You cited an Intel datasheet that basically had Intel stating "Hey guys, if you use overclocked RAM, you miiiiiiight hurt the CPU". They're really just covering their own asses.

Worst case scenario, the CPU will indeed run overclocked and it will slightly reduce it's lifespan. Remember the last time you ran a processor into the ground from overclocking it too much? Me neither. There's a good chance the system will have changed hands 3 times and/or found itself in a landfill before the CPU reaches it's usable lifespan.

Best case scenario, he buys the RAM and the board/CPU realizes he's "going against the Intel grain" and automagically underclocks the RAM, and he saved a few bucks.

Likely scenario: The BIOS will autodetect the RAM settings and it'll run at DDR-1333 @ 1.5V. It'll only see 1.65v if he enables the XMP profile.

Most likely scenario: He already bought the 1.5v RAM and my post is now worthless to read.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by kw:

Best case scenario, he buys the RAM and the board/CPU realizes he's "going against the Intel grain" and automagically underclocks the RAM, and he saved a few bucks.

Likely scenario: The BIOS will autodetect the RAM settings and it'll run at DDR-1333 @ 1.5V. It'll only see 1.65v if he enables the XMP profile.

Most likely scenario: He already bought the 1.5v RAM and my post is now worthless to read.

I'm sorry, but that's a bullshit way of looking at it. You have no idea how it will behave, and no one on this forum should be purposefully suggesting overvolted ram that is potentially harmful to the CPU.

Building a computer is not like trying to do probability analysis to accurately forecast how the market is likely to behave. This is frankly an idiot test.

And FWIW, but overclocking =/= overvolting. You can run DDR3 ram at 1600 or higher @ 1.5v. There is *no* need to be putting overvolted ram onto Ivy Bridge after the MCH has been put on the chip and you've been told not to.

Carry on.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to kw

Here's another reason not to purposefully suggest overvolted parts here--you don't have to own his buying decision, he does. He's come here to seek out the opinion of individuals who follow the trends in PC hardware more closely.

Should he follow your advice and go with 1.65v, any negative effect falls on him, but in his mind, he is going to note that the DSLReports hardware forums are not a great place to go for reliable information.

I'm surprised this is still an issue causing debate for some.
--

kw
Premium
New Albany, OH

Grethor

Tacoma, WA
reply to kw

Have not spent the money yet. Still a couple days off. I appreciate all of the information for and against. Helps me to make a informed purchase.

kw
Premium
New Albany, OH

said by Grethor:

Have not spent the money yet. Still a couple days off. I appreciate all of the information for and against. Helps me to make a informed purchase.

If you happen to live near a Micro Center (or know someone who does) you will likely save a decent chunk of change buying your mobo/CPU there.

Grethor

Tacoma, WA

said by kw:

said by Grethor:

If you happen to live near a Micro Center (or know someone who does) you will likely save a decent chunk of change buying your mobo/CPU there.

Nope no store in WA state it seems. Bummer.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

2 recommendations

reply to Grethor

It all comes down to this: There is ZERO reason to buy 1.65v RAM. 1.65v RAM costs the same as 1.5v, performs the same as 1.5v RAM, and can potentially hurt your processor. FWIW, Intel has stated that it could be as early as months before you start to see degradation of the integrated memory controller of the CPU if using 1.65v RAM.

Long story short: Buy 1.5v RAM. There is no reason to buy 1.65v. Period.