share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to kw

Re: 6 years since my last build...Here goes nothing!

said by kw:

Best case scenario, he buys the RAM and the board/CPU realizes he's "going against the Intel grain" and automagically underclocks the RAM, and he saved a few bucks.

Likely scenario: The BIOS will autodetect the RAM settings and it'll run at DDR-1333 @ 1.5V. It'll only see 1.65v if he enables the XMP profile.

Most likely scenario: He already bought the 1.5v RAM and my post is now worthless to read.

I'm sorry, but that's a bullshit way of looking at it. You have no idea how it will behave, and no one on this forum should be purposefully suggesting overvolted ram that is potentially harmful to the CPU.

Building a computer is not like trying to do probability analysis to accurately forecast how the market is likely to behave. This is frankly an idiot test.

And FWIW, but overclocking =/= overvolting. You can run DDR3 ram at 1600 or higher @ 1.5v. There is *no* need to be putting overvolted ram onto Ivy Bridge after the MCH has been put on the chip and you've been told not to.

Carry on.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to kw

Here's another reason not to purposefully suggest overvolted parts here--you don't have to own his buying decision, he does. He's come here to seek out the opinion of individuals who follow the trends in PC hardware more closely.

Should he follow your advice and go with 1.65v, any negative effect falls on him, but in his mind, he is going to note that the DSLReports hardware forums are not a great place to go for reliable information.

I'm surprised this is still an issue causing debate for some.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

kw
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format

join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA
reply to kw

Have not spent the money yet. Still a couple days off. I appreciate all of the information for and against. Helps me to make a informed purchase.

kw
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
kudos:6

said by Grethor:

Have not spent the money yet. Still a couple days off. I appreciate all of the information for and against. Helps me to make a informed purchase.

If you happen to live near a Micro Center (or know someone who does) you will likely save a decent chunk of change buying your mobo/CPU there.

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format

join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

said by kw:

said by Grethor:

If you happen to live near a Micro Center (or know someone who does) you will likely save a decent chunk of change buying your mobo/CPU there.

Nope no store in WA state it seems. Bummer.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

2 recommendations

reply to Grethor

It all comes down to this: There is ZERO reason to buy 1.65v RAM. 1.65v RAM costs the same as 1.5v, performs the same as 1.5v RAM, and can potentially hurt your processor. FWIW, Intel has stated that it could be as early as months before you start to see degradation of the integrated memory controller of the CPU if using 1.65v RAM.

Long story short: Buy 1.5v RAM. There is no reason to buy 1.65v. Period.