join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: GM recalling pickups and SUVs

said by Gone:

If you engage the parking brake before putting the car into park, it'll put less stress on the pawl.

My foot remains on the brake pedal during the whole procedure so there wouldn't be any stress on the parking pawl.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

I've had a few mates with standard tranys had their car roll on them... Parked on a grade, let the car in 1st gear with no emerg brake on. Car pops out of gear and rolls... No serious damage other then rolling into the car parked in front with some bumper/fender damage...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

My foot remains on the brake pedal during the whole procedure so there wouldn't be any stress on the parking pawl.

I've heard otherwise, but when I think about it I can't think of any reason why the way you do it would be any more stressful. Maybe it doesn't matter? Who knows. All that matters is that the pawl isn't the sole source holding your car I guess.
Gone

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

I've had a few mates with standard tranys had their car roll on them... Parked on a grade, let the car in 1st gear with no emerg brake on. Car pops out of gear and rolls... No serious damage other then rolling into the car parked in front with some bumper/fender damage...

When I was six or seven I was with my uncle and he needed to run into a corner store. I waited in the car. As I'm waiting, it rolled backwards a few feet before he got back into the car and realized he forgot to set the parking brake.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Close call...

Was it a standard shift?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yup. Golf Diesel before they were TDIs. Shook like San Francisco in 1906.