spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paulyboy

@bhn.net

[TV] Cable box turning off by itself

For whatever reason the three cable boxes I use started all turning off overnight, every night, a few weeks ago. They're usually left on for various useful reasons, but now I find them all off the next day. So in other words when you turn the TV on it's just a blank screen until you turn the cable box on as well. Sometimes, depending on the room and situation, it doesn't bother me. However there's been some situations where it really screws things up.

So my question is why did this suddenly start happening and how do I stop it? All my boxes are the Scientific Atlanta ones. Thanks.

-PN

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:131

Are you sure you aren't just leaving the box tuned to a SDV channel which has timed out leaving you with a black screen? Do this next time...turn the TV on and if you get a black screen channel up/down once and see what happens.

Lupe

join:2010-09-19
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Paulyboy

It might be the power save mode.

Paulyboy

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert

It looks like this is what's going on. Simply pressing "channel up" or "channel down" brings the TV back on. Just turning to another channel works as well. As long as the cable box isn't completely powering off I can live with this. Thanks so much for your response.

-PN

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Paulyboy

No problem...had a hunch that was it...I leave my box on overnight as well on a couple of SDV channels and have had the same thing happen to me...

ewtdsl

join:2000-10-03
Clermont, FL
reply to Paulyboy

Something to add to this subject, every morning when I get up and go into the family room, the cable box is powered off. The blue light is off and when I power it up, channel 13 comes on. We have three boxes, it is ONLY the one in the family room.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ewtdsl:

Something to add to this subject, every morning when I get up and go into the family room, the cable box is powered off. The blue light is off and when I power it up, channel 13 comes on. We have three boxes, it is ONLY the one in the family room.

Make/Model?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ewtdsl

Clermont, FL

Samsung SMT-H3272. Hope that is what you need.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Paulyboy

The Samsungs will reboot about every 4 days in the middle of the night it should not however be happening more than that or during the day. If the frequency is higher than that and its happening at any other time than overnight then we probably need to take a look.

ewtdsl

Clermont, FL

Thanks, let me check how frequently it happens. Will get back to you. After having it for almost a year, had not noticed this happening at all. It's not a show stopper but wanted to make sure it wasn't going bad.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Paulyboy

Nope just so long as it doesn't occur more frequently or during the day...it should happen right about 2am.