Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

[VDSL] Modem rental

I know there was some discussion a few months back that Bell might be allowing a purchase of the modem, to get rid of the monthly rental.

Has this gained any traction or is it still a pipe dream?
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
This would be great to know.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to HiVolt
Even Russia and Red China don't force people to rent modems. I guess a class action lawsuit is the answer and huge rebates for all the subscribers who have been taken all these years.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

....Has this gained any traction, or is it still a CELLpipe dream?

FTFY

BTW, I would say (b), IMNSHO.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to HiVolt
We'll never get a rebate, Bell incurred costs by being forced to provide the modems, they should reasonably compensated for that.

The option to purchase compatible modems directly from the manufacturer is available to ISPs, I don't believe any have done so yet.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
Does this mean Bell has dropped the mandatory rental fee? If so if I have my own modem can I send the Bell ones back and stop paying $8/month/modem?

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to HiVolt
More importantly what should gain traction is making the 15/10 service available more cheaply to wholesale, such that teksavvy can start offering it at a similar price vs. Bell (45$-50$/mo incl. modem rental)

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to HiVolt
The day they drop the $8 modem rental fee will also be the very same day they raise their DSL rates by $10. Just so they can 'remain competitive and offer the best service available'.

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
reply to HiVolt
It may happen only when Bell will support standard VDSL2 protocol by their DSLAM instead of crap called "Ikanos stinger" they deployed almost everywhere that somehow works only with their crappy modems running customized firmware.

It means it will never happen

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by UnixMan:

It may happen only when Bell will support standard VDSL2 protocol by their DSLAM instead of crap called "Ikanos stinger" they deployed almost everywhere that somehow works only with their crappy modems running customized firmware.

It means it will never happen

The Alcatel 7330's remotes allow the use of standard VDSL2 modems... Trouble is, there's a shitload more stingers out there...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!