·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to pandora

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by pandora:

I tried a Vizio smart HDTV via wireless where my router was about 1' away from the TV. I couldn't stream HD video from Hulu Plus or Amazon without buffering issues. Amazon was smart enough to suggest switching to standard definition.

I wish wireless worked better, but for sustained HD streams, it's tough in my experience.

Get a better access point.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by ke4pym:

Get a better access point.

Most of the wire is run and there is no problem (for me).

My cost will be approximately $4,000 for installation and $1,000 - $1,200 for all cables and connectors once it's all up. I'm comfortable with this. Others may not be. The server cost $600, I'll probably be paying nearly 1K per 48 port switch x 1 or 2. Cameras run $100 a piece times about 9.

In each bedroom, I anticipate one nearly full box of 7 Ethernet connectors used, and the other boxes mostly unused. I will only connect active cable to a switch (aside for testing).

I have yet to get very good streaming from any access point, and when multiple devices are streaming, failure is always the result.

You may have a different situation and better experience. For me, this is a solution that works. I was just amazed to think of wires by the mile instead of by the foot or meter which is how I usually think of them.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

2 recommendations

said by pandora:

I was just amazed to think of wires by the mile instead of by the foot or meter which is how I usually think of them.

That's OK, we were all amazed by 7 network cable runs per wall plate....