All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dinan5m3
join:2013-01-06
Boise, ID

dinan5m3

Dual Wan and gateways (actually 3 gateways possible???)

Hello members, first time post.

Please consider following network setup that involves dual WAN (at the moment i'm not sure whether dual routers or single routers with dual WAN ports).

Questions are,

* Can this setup work with 2 separate LAN gateways, 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 such that any PC in the LAN whose LAN gateway is set to 10.0.0.1 will have all its Internet traffic through WAN1. And any PC with gateway pointing at 10.0.0.2 will have all its Internet traffic through WAN2?

* Is there a router with dual WAN (eg. ZyWall USG50 or others) that will allow me to implement this with 2 gateways, but also, add a 3rd gateway option (eg. 10.0.0.3) where any PC in LAN that points to that gateway will have its Internet traffic either go through WAN1 or WAN2 based on load balancing algorithm of the dual WAN router?

+------+                          +------+
         | WAN1 |                          | WAN2 |
         +--+---+                          +--+---+
            |                                 |
        +---+-----+                       +---+-----+
        | Router1 |                       | Router2 |
        +---+-----+                       +---+-----+
            |gw1:10.0.0.1                     |gw2:10.0.0.2
     +------+---------------------------------+--------+
     |               LAN switches                      |
     |           10.0.0.x/255.255.255.x                |
     +----------+-----------+------------+-------------+
                |           |            |
     10.0.0.101 | 10.0.0.102|            |10.0.0.103
             +--+--+     +--+--+      +--+--+
             | PC1 |     | PC2 |      | PC3 |
             +-----+     +-----+      +-----+

Thanks much!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Yes thats quite easily setup on a USG unit.
Basically I would setup the dual wan connectivity to handle the type of load balancing you require. All LAN PCs would then be subject to that setup. For specific PCs on the LAN that you wish to route through a specific WANIP, you then creating a routing rule for that.
Simple version of how it works anyway.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to dinan5m3

to dinan5m3
You're describing multi-WAN with policy-based routing. I'm sure you have lots of options to do that. I usually recommend pfsense because it's solid, affordable, and easy to set up.

edit: I should have also mentioned that Anav is a huge fan of it.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to dinan5m3

Premium Member

to dinan5m3
Hahah, yes from afar, in a land far far away.
Pfsense is a cheaper solution requiring some time and knowledge to setup i.e.. one uses a dedicated computer and software to create and program their own router. The zyxel is for those that prefer more plugNplay solutions. Pros and Cons for both. The USG does policy routes.
Boils down to managing expectations and understanding requirements. For standard plugNplay routers one has to ensure they are getting an adequately powered (processing and bandwidth) model whereas in pfsense there is more flexibility wrt growth.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to dinan5m3

MVM

to dinan5m3
said by dinan5m3:

* Can this setup work with 2 separate LAN gateways, 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 such that any PC in the LAN whose LAN gateway is set to 10.0.0.1 will have all its Internet traffic through WAN1. And any PC with gateway pointing at 10.0.0.2 will have all its Internet traffic through WAN2?

If PC1 and PC2 were set for DG 10.0.0.1 and PC3 was set for DG 10.0.0.2, then yes, it should work with no issue.
said by dinan5m3:

* Is there a router with dual WAN (eg. ZyWall USG50 or others) that will allow me to implement this with 2 gateways, but also, add a 3rd gateway option (eg. 10.0.0.3) where any PC in LAN that points to that gateway will have its Internet traffic either go through WAN1 or WAN2 based on load balancing algorithm of the dual WAN router?

Yes, there are multiple dual WAN routers out there besides Zywall and pfsense. Do a topic search in the forum.

I agree with Anav See Profile it all depends on your expectations, requirements, and budget.

Regards

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide to dinan5m3

to dinan5m3
You can use something like pfSense to do this. Check the pfSense forums and wiki for guides on how to set it up. You can do 3 WAN with pfSense also, you would just need to follow the dual wan guide and add another wan.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to dinan5m3

MVM

to dinan5m3
I can highly recommend that Zywall product. We bought a USG 50 and it really was plug and play. The company had about 20 people and it was a IT consulting firm. This router was only about $250.

If I was looking for 3 PC setup, there are a multitude of dual wan routers out there and you have PFSense as well. I am more of a fan of the plug and play solutions. Just factoring in my time involved, I would rather plug both WAN connections in, configure in 15 minutes, and be done with it. Plus, I don't have to keep going back in to play around with the thing unless I want to.

If you are up for playing around and learning something new, then PFSense may be right for you.

As others have said, it all depends on the size of your company, budget, and expectations.

FreshKally
@bhn.net

FreshKally

Anon

Did you have to purchase more license or upgrade that Zywall USG50 to accommodate 20 users right out of the box? We have about 30 users and I simply want to use the dual wan option and I'm thinking about purchasing the ZYWALL USG 50.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

There is no license for the number of users. Tech support is free M-F, 8-5pm California time. Depending though on any anticipated growth capacity you may wish to spring for higher model. The real differences between 50 and 100 are double the amount of concurrent sessions, the USG 100. the 200 is a significant improvement