uniqs
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Facebook Messages

I'm getting messages from non friends, they seem to have changed it, how do I change it to only allow messages from friends?

Thanks, Rob

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Private messages or posts to your Timeline?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
You can't, it's their new "feature". The only thing you can do is block people you really dont want to talk to.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna

Premium Member

I don't think that's true. There is a setting for both things. Make sure all settings are set to "friends" only, NOT "friends of friends" or "public".

You have to take the time to nitpick through ALL the settings. Look up Facebook settings on Facecrook for tips.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

So, you can message everyone now?? That sucks

-Rob

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
If one pays a fee you can post to everyone

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
Click on the little lock looking icon in the upper right, that opens up Privacy Shortcuts, select "Who can contact me", then select Strict Filtering.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

2 recommendations

tcope to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
Trash your Facebook account and join Google Plus.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by tcope:

Oh yeah there is a non commercial real security driven place. Little I've used it more like Google minus.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

Why?
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope

Premium Member

Facebook's business model is all about people spamming people. Google Plus's revenue stream gathers data in order to target ads in their other products, such as Google Search, Youtube, etc.

People who think Google Plus is another Facebook simply have not used Plus very long. They are two different products. Plus is very much.... social. FB is mostly pointless post where people "like" products to get discounts and spam "friends".

Many companies don't see the practical use of Plus either. They don't understand that Plus can blow Ranking out of the water and push their search results up to 2nd or 3rd place just by having a person in one of their Circles.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

I don't do any of that on FB, don't even know what you're talking about. I have all ads blocked. I don't "like" products. I don't get discounts. Nor do I "spam friends" or get spammed. ???

I don't know where people get some of this stuff from, other than not understanding how it can all be changed with settings.
La Luna

La Luna to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

So, you can message everyone now?? That sucks

-Rob

PLEASE go through ALL the settings. You can change that! Make sure you have everything set to "friends" ONLY. Go to Facecrooks like I suggested for more info on secure settings. They also have a FB page.

»facecrooks.com/

»facecrooks.com/Internet- ··· ity.html
Expand your moderator at work
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna

Re: Facebook Messages

You don't "like" things but this simply means that you don't spam your "friends". It's when your "friends" feel like pimping themselves out for a buck... I mean "like" something. You then get spammed... I mean a post from them telling you how much they "like" a product or company.

FB makes money from ads delivered to their users. FB is loosing advertisers as those advertisers are not seeing a return. FB now needs to answer to it's stock holders and pay off that billion dollar Instagram purchase. They only have one revenue source to it's obvious what this will impact.

Not to mention FB's terrible rediesign. 100% yuck!

For me, G+ is a _true_ social experience. It does not need to be limited to people you don't know. One of the best features is "nearby" where you can read public posts from people in your area. You can also read very popular posts from people and companies. These are more of a news or information post rather then ads.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

I did that, and checked with my other account, there's still message on my facebook account.

-Rob

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

All social sites need an "eff off' button.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
You should not need to worry in the future.... FB will probably charge your family and friends to send you messages.

»news.cnet.com/8301-17852 ··· bargain/

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
You know that has changed, right? They want their messaging system to be like email. It's slowly rolling out across their user base.
60632649 (banned)
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY

60632649 (banned) to beachintech

to beachintech

said by beachintech:

You know that has changed, right? They want their messaging system to be like email. It's slowly rolling out across their user base.

Incorrect, they're trying to monetize every key press, kind of like people who watch NFL, ya know 5 hour time for something that has a one hour clock time... and the umps with their hands waving back to and fro really make it dramatic. Add drama, and commercials, and some Hollywood 1/2 time and that's nfl.

But what gets the most viewers, duh, EPL and World Cup, the latter 1/2 billion.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by 60632649:

Incorrect, they're trying to monetize every key press, kind of like people who watch NFL, ya know 5 hour time for something that has a one hour clock time... and the umps with their hands waving back to and fro really make it dramatic. Add drama, and commercials, and some Hollywood 1/2 time and that's nfl.

But what gets the most viewers, duh, EPL and World Cup, the latter 1/2 billion.

I'm not really sure I follow any point in your post. It's more about the NFL then anything else.

But beach is correct... and it's mentioned in this thread. FB is testing a system that will allow you to "message" someone you are not friends with. This is basically... email. It's about the dumbest thing ever. Most celebs don't even post to their own FB accounts. If they do, most certainly don't read them. It's just another way FB is looking to make a buck off it's users.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_

said by Rob_:

I'm getting messages from non friends, they seem to have changed it, how do I change it to only allow messages from friends?

Thanks, Rob

Sorry man, won't happen again...
60632649 (banned)
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY

60632649 (banned) to tcope

to tcope

You don't have to follow what I'm saying. Follow this... just about anything having to do with a so called "celebrity" on FB is run by a publicist who's being payed to be there. If you think a question that you ask them is personal, it's not. It's being answered by an answer farm in india or china.

Deal with it.