me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: Linux taking over the world?

said by Kearnstd:

If Apple drops the Mac Pro for whatever reason they will not have a proper work grade machine.

When was the last time they even updated it? I know last year(mid summer) when I check it was still running 5000 series gpus and the xeons that came out the same year.

Heck with haswell the macbook pros cpu may beat that, not sure how the mobile gpu market will play out at the time.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by me1212:

said by Kearnstd:

If Apple drops the Mac Pro for whatever reason they will not have a proper work grade machine.

When was the last time they even updated it? I know last year(mid summer) when I check it was still running 5000 series gpus and the xeons that came out the same year.

Heck with haswell the macbook pros cpu may beat that, not sure how the mobile gpu market will play out at the time.

From the looks of things they have not been updated.

This is one of the big flaws with Apple is they only do "group updates" While any other company selling enterprise workstations tends to stay on top of things. I think the Fruit Company is focusing mainly on its iDevices and notebooks now though.

However if one needs to do CG modeling there is always Linux and a workstation from a more up to date vendor.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Honestly I'm surprised they are selling mac pros at all anymore, why would people still buy them? The cpus are what 3 generations old? Ivy bridge i7s in the macpros could probably give them a run for their money, the mobile gpus may be a bit harder to get over though.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I honestly do not know, Is there any art software that requires OSX? Mac Pros have generally been the home of the graphic arts, CG modeling and music. But applications for all that from the same vendors generally exist in the windows world and even some into Linux.

Today I do not think there is anything a Mac can do exclusively when it comes to doing work that Windows or Linux cannot. Other than cost three times as much for a dual CPU workstation.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

I think theres like 2 things, but alternatives exist on windows/linux. Heck don't the macpros only come with ati? Adobe CS uses cuda cores from nvidia gpus for gpu acceleration