join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Foundation issue? Normal for Texas?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Noticed cracks in the ceiling at various places of my home. I have a one story with an upstairs loft. Many of the cracks are hairline cracks which extend in straight lines as if following a piece of sheet rock (none of these are shown). Some though (two at least) are running down the wall and causing the paint to buckle (see attachments - although lines are running horizontally in picture they are actually running vertically on the wall). And then one (in the picture shown) actually runs through a piece of the sheet rock from a front door window.

Question is, normal for Texas? Warranty claim (I think I might have a 10-year period). The house was built in '02, but purchased new in '04. Any other options? I used some sealant to fill in the hairline cracks in the ceiling, but the frequency of this cracks is coming up more and more as of late.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

I just had a sink hole insurance inspection. Here in Florida the insurance commission removed gradual sink hole coverage from homeowners policies and then allowed insurance companies to sell sink hole coverage back to homeowners for extra cost. The only coverage that was left untouched was catastrophic coverage which means that the ground collapses and swallows a home. The inspector checked for just the symptoms that you are experiencing in my home and found none. When I asked him what he was looking for he showed me photographs of the interior of a home suffering from ground subsidence. Unfortunately your home shows the same symptoms as those in the photographs. These symptoms are not normal anywhere.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to SteelersFan

Unfortunately this is mostly normal for Texas. The ground is mostly clay and with the change in seasons, it tends to heave or subside. You will see many TV commercials during the course of a year, mostly in the summer for various companies touting their particular type of remedy, primarily involves foundation anchoring.
Here is one company I remember seeing ads for during my 6 years in N. Tx. Check the FAQ link for the reasons.
»www.olshanfoundation.com/foundat···uestions

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to SteelersFan

2 things you can count on in N. Texas: termites and foundation issues.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to aguen

Ground is mostly clay on the surface around Rockwall. Found this from the USGS

»mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/fi···e=f48397

OP -- if it were me and I had a concern, I would hire a civil engineer for a consultation. Then, depending on the results, you can examine whether or not the insurance will pay for anything. In any case, having an independent professional give their opinion should provide for either piece of mind or the knowledge that something needs to be done and it will probably be cheaper to do it sooner rather than later when more damage has occurred.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to SteelersFan

Yup, that is pretty normal for the DFW and Houston areas. Olshan is one of the more well known companies to fix that.

SteelersFan

join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I have a 10-2 warranty with the home builder so I'll have to check if it's covered. Is it normal to have a foundation issue after only 10 years? Automatic sprinklers throughout the property. Settling? Anyway, I scheduled an estimate with Olshan - thanks for the tip.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to SteelersFan

said by SteelersFan:

Question is, normal for Texas? Warranty claim (I think I might have a 10-year period). The house was built in '02, but purchased new in '04.

Building construction on expansive soil areas requires a gravel decoupling layer below the base slab.
Shoddy builders build right on top of the clay soil, and disappear before cracks become visible.
Parts of Texas and SF bay area are well known for this.