uniqs
share rss forum feed

mtf06

join:2006-09-28
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Charter

Wireless internet and port tip...

Ok, first off I have u-verse full bundle and I only had 2 ports on router for wired pc's and one Ethernet wire I was constantly moving to different pc's because I was suffering lag with wireless.

So I thought hmm, maybe I'll connect my pc in another room to the Ethernet port on the wireless dvr and see what happens.

Boom, my pc had internet! And that's not all, all ports were opened.

I did put my pc in dmz pro mode or w/e it's called but when I did that before it would never open the ports.

Plus my wireless dvr and pc are in a different room from the main network and I am getting same speeds that I was in living room directly hooked up.

I think the wireless dvr has pretty stable connection.

Some of you might already know this but for the others who don't, try it!

I didn't have to configure anything after I hooked up network wire to wireless dvr and pc had instant internet.

Good luck!

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

This has been well known for years.

mtf06

join:2006-09-28
Reno, NV

Oh ok, but I had to discover this on my own.

Of course installers didn't let me know. He just said I have 2 available ports.

Thanks for the reply though.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mtf06

Dont do that it can cause tv issues. this is a shared port meaning one ip between 2 devices. Its meant for cat5 from rg not an additional free port, will cause stb or dvr to need reboot i have had to swap dvr just to get an ip in a couple cases.

I would advise readers to ignore this unless you want to talk to the wonderful tech support folks

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

said by UverseTech:

...this is a shared port meaning one ip between 2 devices...

Patently untrue. The desktop system I have connected to the ethernet port on the back of the STB has it's own IP assigned by the gateway, as does the STB. They do not share an IP.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to UverseTech

said by UverseTech:

Dont do that it can cause tv issues. this is a shared port meaning one ip between 2 devices. Its meant for cat5 from rg not an additional free port, will cause stb or dvr to need reboot i have had to swap dvr just to get an ip in a couple cases.

Really? AT&T might want to make this more clear then. Two of my neighbors have had their bluray players connected to that port on the wireless STB for a while now. Neither have had any issues that I'm aware of.

UverseTech

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Paralel

If the stb or dvr is on and connected it will pass an ip thru, but when the stb looses power and a networking device is plugged in the ethernet port the stb will not connect to the rg.

It will allow pass thru of another ip as long as the stb is connected first. Try explaining this to most customers, I have not tried this on the cisco wifi boxes, just the hardwired, maybe the wifi will not act like this.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

All of my DirecTV boxes have a plastic insert in the ethernet port that have "DO NOT USE" written on it. Apparently it would just kill AT&T to use some of these instead of having to have techs troubleshoot this issue.

UverseTech

Reviews:
·Charter

It's not that it will not work, it causes customers that do not understand what the install or repair tech did to begin with. It is a shortcut that works, but unless the customer is instructed to unplug the ethernet connection if they loose signal, it just appears to be a box that does not connect.

I have not tried this on a wifi box, maybe it and will work when disconnected from WAP, but if does not unplug ethernet and restart stb.