spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

PS2 mouse won't scroll on Firefox 17 web pages - why not?

Here's a weird problem. Same install, same hardware, same identical Firefox 17, all same settings. Only difference is changing to and from a USB mouse to a PS2 mouse.

The USB scrolls the way it should from within Firefox 17 web pages, but my PS2 wheel mouse only scrolls the same web pages in Firefox 17 by using the scroll bar to the right of the page. It won't scroll by dragging the mouse arrow down from within a page and won't scroll from within a page using the mouse wheel.

Why not?

This on a win 7 64 bit install. The PS2 mouse is nothing fancy. Just a generic two button optical mouse with a wheel on top that has always worked fine in the past - usually on XP 32bit installs.

The USB mouse is a microsoft 4000 version if that makes any difference.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Maybe not a Fx issue? What about the OS? Does the mouse need updated drivers possibly?

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
What I would try is updating the PS2 drivers as La Luna suggested and if that does not work do an over the top re-install of Fx using the same Fx version you are running.

The over the top reinstall may pick up the type of mouse being used and allow more capabilities with it. Can not hurt to try anyway.

If you do the over the top reinstall back up your Fx profile first.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
As far as I know the mouse doesn't have drivers to update. In the past it has always worked fine with MSFT default PS2 mouse drivers.

It's a mystery.

I've gone back to the wireless mouse. It's still working normally.

Had to switch to the wired mouse to get a bios level drive cloning program to work. That one needs a PS2 mouse with some motherboards, but works fine with the wireless mouse on other mobos even though there are no mouse options to set in the bios for the mice on any of the boards now in use.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Does it work properly with other browsers?
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

That's a good suggestion.

However, getting a chance to test the PS2 mouse in IE, Mele, Firefox self-corrected the mouse problem. It is now scrolling web pages correctly with either mouse without me having made any changes in anything at all.

This is the second problem in W7 64bit that corrected itself overnight.

I don't understand what caused the two problems to show up in the first place or what caused them to self correct, but guess as long as everything is now working as it should be there is no need to worry about it.

Still curious, however....

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Maybe the PC was just tired.

Glad it's working now.

Joey1973
@verizon.net

Joey1973 to Gem

Anon

to Gem
I haven't used a PS/2 mouse since XP on my old box (a few years now), but whenever I would swap a mouse that involved plugging it in, more often than not I'd have to reboot in order to get all features working properly; the basic features might work OK--or not, but the "advanced" features (acceleration, wheel, etc.) would not. For USB it didn't matter. (I don't know if this applies to your swapping process, but it's something to keep in mind. Windows will still spontaneously reboot after Auto-update maintenance if you allow it--even overnight.) Also, if it is an OS issue and not a Firefox issue, then you don't need to limit yourself to testing just browsers; any program that has a scrollbar should work, or not work, the same way. And if it's happened at least once and mysteriously "corrected itself", then it's likely to happen again (so you'll probably get to test out what is and isn't going on).