Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Michigan Fire Lane Laws and Condos

Hi All

Private Condo Complex in City of Gibraltar Michigan, Just was informed by Condo Assocation soon there gonna start Ticketing or and Towing Vechiles parked in the Fire lanes--Only problem I see there myself, NO signs that say No Parking Fire Lane, and No Curbs designating the spots as Fire lanes.

So Legally I don't see how they can, unless i'm wrong?

Can't seem to find Michigan Fire Lane Requirements via Google or Bing so far

Meeting is Tomorrow for the Assocation

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Is there painted warnings on the pavement indicating firelanes where they are talking about? Usually, firelanes are blocked off with a yellow painted regtangular block w/diagonal lines in it.

If not, tell them it should be clearly marked as such. Otherwise, what is the problem with not parking there?

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Yeah there taking pictures of vechies parked in the areas they say is fire lanes, and sending those out with the newsletters so far

Already told them Fire lane areas are not clearly marked, and There Response was It's still a Fire lane...

Contacted City Fire Chief as well regarding this issue, no response from City Chief yet

NO painted Warnings, No Signs, No Red Curbs with White Letters saying Fire Lane

Ideally They'd like all Co Owners to park 1 Vechile in the 1 Car Garage and 1 directly behind it, Well Big Econoline Vans won't fit, Chevy Trucks, and Etc, Even some cars won't fit in these garages.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit
reply to computerman2

»www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28d2···D%20fire

A local authority can, by passing an ordinance forbid parking on a highway or street to create a fire lane or to make way for heavy traffic during busy hours in the morning and afternoon. Privileges given to veterans and physically disabled persons under this subsection do not surpass the ordinance.

Do you have a local ordinance that specifically applies?

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

Checked Local Ordiances on the Cities Website, didn't find anything pertaining to Fire lanes or anything at all at this point, will look again

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1
reply to computerman2

You don't give enough detail to say if it's "legal" or not, but it probably is. It's on private property so the rules are a lot looser than if it were a public street.

Condo boards are not known for having high intellect. There is a better than 50/50 chance that the association is just being pissy, as they are so famously inclined to be. Or they don't want to spend the money on signage. Or a towing company offered them a kickback.

I do not believe for even one moment that no parking areas are required by fire code but the code does not require signs & markings. The bullshit smell is killin' me!

Attend the meeting. If you can show that allowing parking in these areas does not create a safety hazard, then they may drop the issue. Otherwise, push for signs and markings but be prepared to pay for them out of your association fees.

mocycler is a corporate counsel attorney and (by most accounts) a decent guy.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to computerman2

said by computerman2:

Yeah there taking pictures of vechies parked in the areas they say is fire lanes, and sending those out with the newsletters so far

Already told them Fire lane areas are not clearly marked, and There Response was It's still a Fire lane...

And how does a visitor know it is a fire lane? I'm with the rest that they need to be marked. I don't see how you can ticket vehicles if it isn't clearly marked. The first person who takes them to court for towing their car for being in an unmarked fire lane should win.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to computerman2

»www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dtilkm···-674.pdf

Code says:

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)

257.674 Prohibited parking; exceptions; bus loading zone; violation as civil infraction.
Sec. 674. (1) A vehicle shall not be parked, except if necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in
compliance with the law or the directions of a police officer or traffic-control device, in any of the following
places

(snip)

(aa) In a place or in a manner that blocks access to a space clearly designated as a fire lane.

Bold is my addition...

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

City Fire Chief Replied this morning, and Replied No They cannot ticket or tow vechiles in Fire lanes--without proper Signage

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by computerman2:

City Fire Chief Replied this morning, and Replied No They cannot ticket or tow vechiles in Fire lanes--without proper Signage

None of which will do you a lick of good when you're paying $100-200 to get your car out of a tow lot.

I suggest trying to catch bees with honey, not vinegar. Work with the folks involved to get the lanes properly marked.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.