exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 edit

Where to purchase inexpensive SAS drives

I'm looking to purchase 1x 146GB 2.5" 10K SAS drive and 4x 300GB 2.5" 10K SAS single-port drives without spending a ton of $$$. Aside from eBay, which I've been lurking on, is there any resources you guys use?

This isn't for production but for my test HP DL380 G5 in my home lab.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1

Evertek.com sometimes has some.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to exocet_cm

Give us a part number and go from there. I would take that part number and do a Google shopping search. I know which vendors I trust and have done business with in the past. I got a good deal on some 7200rpm SAS drive on ebay after the flood, there was a lag in price increases, the vendor/seller didn't respond quick enough.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to exocet_cm

If you haven't already seen these guys »www.scsi4me.com/sas-serial-attac···ive.html you could give them a look over. They also supposedly have a "store" on Ebay as well.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to exocet_cm

One way to get cheap SAS stuff is to go with "near-line SAS". These are enterprise SATA drives with (usually) 7200rpm, but qualified for fulltime server use and the SAS command set.

Ref: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_att···line_SAS

I often get these with Dell servers with the higher performance of 10k or 15k drives is not necessary, but we still want server-class drives (so avoid SATA).

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to exocet_cm

Thanks everyone. I'll give these sites a look over.