share rss forum feed

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1

Tool for this?

I have a drain in the basement that is clogged and I need to remove the clean out plug. But I don't have anything to use. Nor could I find anything at Home Depot to get it done.

Any ideas on what to use?

--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

A 3/4 inch breaker bar.

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to onebadmofo

Cleanout Plug Wrench. (Just on Ask This Old House 'What is this?' segment.)

»toolmonger.com/2010/03/26/eureka···-wrench/

Try these folks:
»www.aprsupply.com/locations?zip=···adius=15

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to onebadmofo

When you buy the wrench buy a spare plug as well. There is a pretty good chance you'll have to break that old one to get it out.

Masque

join:2001-12-04
Auburn, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to onebadmofo

What the last user said. I used to work on those many years ago. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a 2# hammer (for hitting 'hard' around the permimeter of the cover to try and loosen it) and a hard cold chisel. I've used those to try and chisel in and around the plug. If it wouldn't come, that's what I've used to chisel it out. Much quicker than most any other method.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo

yeah it doesn't budge. So I have it soaking in liquid wrench to see if that helps.
Im pretty sure it's not going to do anything.
--

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to onebadmofo

There's always the old hot wrench.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl

join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

Those plugs are usually cast. A cutting torch will just melt the casting. It doesn't oxidize like steel.

That being said, the expansion and contraction from heat may loosen the rust binding the plug and then the wrench may work.
--
IUOE Local 101

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo

This one seems to be brass.
Liquid wrench didn't work. (i knew it wouldn't)
I most likely will have to break it open. But then don't I risk damage to the plumbing it's screwed into?
--

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to onebadmofo

said by onebadmofo:

yeah it doesn't budge. So I have it soaking in liquid wrench to see if that helps.

Assuming your wrench design can allow it, don't forget the old trick of increasing your power by adding a length of pipe to give you more torque.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to onebadmofo

said by onebadmofo:

I've never gotten an old brass plug out without a hammer and cold chisel. Brass is soft. The chisel will cut into it easily. Chisel near the edge (1/2 -3/4") and try to chisel in the direction you would turn it to unscrew it. Eventually you will either get it to loosen or you will cut the center out of the plug. Then it's pretty easy to get the donut which is left out using same process. The brass is screwed into cast iron and you will destroy the plug before breaking the pipe. Be careful to only chisel the plug and not the threaded female fitting.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by robbin:

said by onebadmofo:

I've never gotten an old brass plug out without a hammer and cold chisel. Brass is soft. The chisel will cut into it easily. Chisel near the edge (1/2 -3/4") and try to chisel in the direction you would turn it to unscrew it. Eventually you will either get it to loosen or you will cut the center out of the plug. Then it's pretty easy to get the donut which is left out using same process. The brass is screwed into cast iron and you will destroy the plug before breaking the pipe. Be careful to only chisel the plug and not the threaded female fitting.

That would be the easiest, cheapest way, unless you have a set of these ... »www.perfectoproducts.net/index.p···wrenches
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

I've never gotten a wrench to work. Bet the OP rips the center of the plug out before the threads turn loose. That has been my experience.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by robbin:

I've never gotten a wrench to work. Bet the OP rips the center of the plug out before the threads turn loose. That has been my experience.

Chances are, you're right. If he had a set of these around it probably wouldn't hurt to torch-heat the plug and then try the wrench, but it wouldn't be worth it to buy the wrench for one plug.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

Torches and sewer gasses may not play well together.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

Dont mess with that plug, you`ll end up breaking it..

Get a toilet snake, and snake the shizz outta it... or, a plunger and some hot water will also work..

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to onebadmofo

said by onebadmofo:

Chisel and hammer time.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

I've never gotten an old brass plug out without a hammer and cold chisel. Brass is soft. The chisel will cut into it easily.

Exactly!
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

said by onebadmofo:

Assuming your wrench design can allow it, don't forget the old trick of increasing your power by adding a length of pipe to give you more torque.

I tried that but only had so much room to give for movement. Plus the other side would wobble a little bit which would then throw everything off.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo

In the end I called rotorooter and they snaked the line from the street. He said (and I seen it) the trap at the street went down about 12 feet. That's 12 feet there, and then another 50, 60 feet to house...yeah, I would have been screwed doing it on my own. Cause what took him 20 to 30 minutes to do, would have taken me another day or 2 to figure out. And not having access to be able to shower, do dishes, laundry and use the toilet, just wasn't acceptable.

Yeah it cost $355.00 but, it's done. And now I can drop a log I've been holding onto for hours.

THANKS ROTOROOTER!!

...did that sound "commercially" enough?

And thanks to everyone here for your input. If I ever have to take that plug out, I at least have this thread to go by.
And now that I seen someone do it, I may just be able to try and tackle it myself if it is to happen again. ...maybe.
--

norton

join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI

just a thought - but maybe the pro could have replaced the time welded access point to system inside your house - so that next time you could have pushed one out 20 ft from that point....

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to onebadmofo

said by onebadmofo:

In the end I called rotorooter and they snaked the line from the street. He said (and I seen it) the trap at the street went down about 12 feet. That's 12 feet there, and then another 50, 60 feet to house...yeah, I would have been screwed doing it on my own. Cause what took him 20 to 30 minutes to do, would have taken me another day or 2 to figure out. And not having access to be able to shower, do dishes, laundry and use the toilet, just wasn't acceptable.

Yeah it cost $355.00 but, it's done. And now I can drop a log I've been holding onto for hours.

THANKS ROTOROOTER!!

...did that sound "commercially" enough?

And thanks to everyone here for your input. If I ever have to take that plug out, I at least have this thread to go by.
And now that I seen someone do it, I may just be able to try and tackle it myself if it is to happen again. ...maybe.

Excellent decision on your part. In stead on spending untold more energy and attention to the brass plug you corrected your problem.