uniqs
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to Spice300

to Spice300

Re: Upload :: 12 Kbps 2 kB/s

said by Spice300:

TRIA must die

Internet Experience Summary - With slow uplinks (23-30 Kbps), one can surf and watch Youtube video, but your computer's programs must be locked-down so they don't look for updates, or start downloading updates. If other internet activities are happening, your internet experience will come to a crawl or stop, and SB2's center two modem lights will pulse extremely fast. Once this happens, you might as well take a break.

TRIA Assessment - If TRIA is failing there is no means available for a service tech to look at his screen and see this issue. This assessment is based upon tech referring this computer geek to a CSR....in other words, its a "customer or network issue," so he passed the buck to a CSR; not my problem.

Wildblue Legacy Speed Increase - If all users on this beam, WB-1: 113/163, were experiencing this low of speeds on a beam that was never fully loaded, their phone lines would have been ringing/ringing; my local coop representative indicated no issue she was aware of. I know of one user on WB-1: 113, but I have not talked to him yet; but in previous talks, everything was wonderful on WB-1:113, but he is just a plain user, no computer skills, so to speak.

TRIA's Tx RF Power - When service tech installed SB2 equipment, I took a snapshot of Tx RF Power, which was running at 34.4 dBm. So, after some nine months of hammering away at around full power output, there is the possibility TRIA's electronics have degraded. Since monitoring it recently, it has not exceeded 33.0dBm.

Conclusion - Unless service techs have access to SMTS data, if this exists for them, then a good faith assessment is not possible. If all they see is ViaSat's diagnostic info, which I can see, then they are clueless. This assessment assumes a TRIA has stepped down to a lower power output mode, and they can see the changes in different coding/modulation format being used. Further, I have no idea how long ViaSat's warranty is on these TRIAs, but what has been common in many businesses, they won't fix it until its broke.

Currently around 9 PM Sunday:

Upload :: 54 Kbps
Download :: 2.5 Mbps

60 Kbps uplink is barely enough for one user, but Exede-5 birds do not have same uplink capacity as Exede-12 bird does.

Solution - Since customer can not see coding/modulation data, and if this is the case (defective TRIA), since service tech is clueless also (if this is the case), then only by contacting ViaSat directly could this matter be resolved, if SMTS data exists. Or, wait until that screwy little rabbit dies.

BasilAR
WildBlue
join:2006-07-20
Parks, AR

BasilAR

said by DrStrangLov:

Or, wait until that screwy little rabbit dies.

Or . . . you cat put it out of its misery.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

Conclusion - Unless service techs have access to SMTS data, if this exists for them, then a good faith assessment is not possible. If all they see is ViaSat's diagnostic info, which I can see, then they are clueless. This assessment assumes a TRIA has stepped down to a lower power output mode, and they can see the changes in different coding/modulation format being used. Further, I have no idea how long ViaSat's warranty is on these TRIAs, but what has been common in many businesses, they won't fix it until its broke.

In other words, Exede's attitude is the same as Wildblue's attitude: because we see nothing wrong, we will not fix your slow speeds. Speed is not guaranteed. Broadband is not guaranteed. Functional Internet is not guaranteed. Deductions from your credit card are guaranteed. Screwy little rabbits only exist in cartoons.
Expand your moderator at work
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to Spice300

to Spice300

Re: Upload :: 12 Kbps 2 kB/s

said by Spice300:

...because we see nothing wrong, we will not fix your slow speeds.

So, I contacted via email one of those Customer Care folks (aka CSRs; Company Script Readers) with this request:
quote:
Subject: SMTS data on TRIA's coding/modulation
WB-1: 163 Exede 5
IP Address 10.xxxxx
MAC Address 00xxxx
Serial Number 2xxxxxx
Could someone evaluate if TRIA's output is running in a degraded mode? Rx SNR is good at around 11dB.

And the response was:
quote:
We would be happy to assist you.....As you can imagine this is difficult to address through E-mail or chat, and is best done and needs to be done over the phone with our tech team.....

Did the CSR really say that? What's so "difficult" about that request? Has CSR even heard of the word "SMTS?"

Call tech team? Like how many times in past eight months did someone ask this question?