join:2013-01-06
Holbrook, MA

ROBrien05

[Speed] Bandwidth issues when router is used (HELP ME figure out

Let's start with my network devices.

Arris 722 (Comcast Modem)
SonicWall TZ180 (Hardware Firewall)
LinkSYS WRT610N (Wi-Fi N)
LinkSYS WRT160N (Bridge to the 3rd floor)
LinkSYS RE100 (Extender for garage / outside)

My internal devices work flawlessly on my network. Streaming music and movies without lag. Not even the slightest glitch on 1080p movies.

Here's wherer my issue comes in, keep the devices in mind.
All are fully compatible and wiring is pristine.

When I connect my pc straight to the modem I get average 85MB/s. Even though it's supposed to be 100 I'm not concerned with that just yet.

My wired config is modem to sonicwall to Server / WRT610N.
My speedtest is only averaging 28, WTF right? Something is screwy here and I can't figure out why. All devices are connected with CAT 6, short length, no tests were done over wifi.

I've done many troubleshooting with settings to try and find a solution and nothing has made even the slightest change.

Not a sole at Comcast had any possitive input so I'm blasting my situation to the masses in a couple forums. If anyone knows why this is happening please get at me asap because I am losing my mind.

Thanks, RICH
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Re: [Speed] Bandwidth issues when router is used (HELP ME figure

I know that a TZ210 with gateway AV and CFS enabled will only pass about 25-30 mbps over the WAN, so I would wager that your moldy old TZ180 is the problem.
ROBrien05
join:2013-01-06
Holbrook, MA

ROBrien05

OK, skip the sonicwall, I tried bypassing it and connecting my modem straight the the LinkSYS and had the same results.
Thanks for the bandwidth info but I need some results that'll get me running right. What's the WAS bandwidth on the 210?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by ROBrien05:

OK, skip the sonicwall, I tried bypassing it and connecting my modem straight the the LinkSYS and had the same results.
Thanks for the bandwidth info but I need some results that'll get me running right. What's the WAS bandwidth on the 210?

The one I'm referring to is connected to a 50/10 business connection. Bandwidth is roughly halved when the security services are enabled.

Is the 610 running DHCP or have you configured it as just an AP?

not
@comcast.net

not to ROBrien05

Anon

to ROBrien05
Tell me you're not using all those wireless routers and actually triple NATing everything as well as routing. I hope you have DHCP turned off on all the Linksys devices and are using the SonicWall as your DHCP and then all your LAN patch cables are plugged into the LAN side of those routers. If not, you're not properly using those routers are just APs, which is what you should be doing. Honestly, you should be working with just the SonicWall and some wireless APs/RE if you want things to work right, but since you're stuck with what you have, make sure you at least configure your devices appropriately and use them in the right way for the setup you have now.

Bottom line, make sure you're using the Linksys devices as makeshift Access Points.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to ROBrien05

MVM

to ROBrien05
Do you have "Home Network Defender" disabled on the WRT610N?

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide to not

to not
said by not :

Tell me you're not using all those wireless routers and actually triple NATing everything as well as routing. I hope you have DHCP turned off on all the Linksys devices and are using the SonicWall as your DHCP and then all your LAN patch cables are plugged into the LAN side of those routers. If not, you're not properly using those routers are just APs, which is what you should be doing. Honestly, you should be working with just the SonicWall and some wireless APs/RE if you want things to work right, but since you're stuck with what you have, make sure you at least configure your devices appropriately and use them in the right way for the setup you have now.

Bottom line, make sure you're using the Linksys devices as makeshift Access Points.

x2, and also a lot of consumer level devices are not going to be able to push anywhere near 100mbit, I would switch to a pc-based router running something like pfsense, and make sure your linsys wifi devices are only acting as AP's and not doing NAT on their own.