share rss forum feed

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to Conficio

Re: Walmart $30 Plan - Taxes/Fees/Overages

said by Conficio:

I consider choosing the Walmart $30 unlimited data and text + 100 min talk plan. I wonder if someone with this plan can help me understand how it works in practice.

1) On my phone bill there are fees and taxes on top of the advertised price. How are those paid, when I pick up a re-fill card at Walmart?
2) If I produce overages charges for extra minutes, international calls, etc. how are those charged? Do I register an account with T-Mobile? Does it charge a credit card, or else?
3) Are those extra's charged on a monthly basis or against a pre-paid balance?

I must say they don't do a very good job in explaining or advertising the prepaid plans. So here's how it works. The T-Mobile or Walmart/T-mobile $30 unlimited text and data w/100 talk mins is simply that. No taxes. No hidden fees. Only the plan fee of $30 per month and any mins over 100 that you use at $0.10 / minute. If you don't have enough account balance for the extra mins then you cannot make the voice calls.

You can charge the phone up in a number of ways. Go do any store and purchase the T-Mobile monthly plan card in whatever value you want; go home and dial 800 number and load it up. Go to Walmart.com and order same product there but will be delivered via email; no store visits required. Or you might be able to also charge it up at T-mobile and give them a CC so they can auto bill you the $30 monthly.

I'm sure there's a method that is simple for everyone.

One thing to keep in mind is that VOIP calls (voice over internet) while really using the data part of your phone DO count towards your talk minutes. I believe this might be true even if your on a LAN and not their 4G net; which sux.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

said by bbear2:

One thing to keep in mind is that VOIP calls (voice over internet) while really using the data part of your phone DO count towards your talk minutes. I believe this might be true even if your on a LAN and not their 4G net; which sux.

Depends on how you do your VoIP calls. The T-mobile wifi calling app do use minutes. Google voice app do use minutes. Talkatone, gtalk and others do not use minutes.

bbear2
Premium

Not aware of Talkatone or gtalk. WIll need to look into those. Curious as to how T-Mobile can tell the difference between them.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

It is the provider of the VoIP functionality that decides what is counted.

E.g. t-mobiles wifi app connects to T-mobile VoIP service which counts minutes.
Google voice app (not VoIP) actually use the cellular voice call to call/connect to google voice.
Talkatone, gtalk and grooveIP connect to google voice and t-mobile can not tell.
Vonage app connects to Vonage VoIP service which current give you 3000 free outgoing minutes t-mobile can not tell

bbear2
Premium

said by Hagar:

It is the provider of the VoIP functionality that decides what is counted.

E.g. t-mobiles wifi app connects to T-mobile VoIP service which counts minutes.
Google voice app (not VoIP) actually use the cellular voice call to call/connect to google voice.
Talkatone, gtalk and grooveIP connect to google voice and t-mobile can not tell.
Vonage app connects to Vonage VoIP service which current give you 3000 free outgoing minutes t-mobile can not tell

This is very interesting. I see that these services validate with Googlevoice. How do they get access to the GV credentials to validate you as a user?

I find it interesting and don't understand how GV uses minutes but the others, that use GV do not.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

You need to use GV user name and password.

Googlevoice uses minutes for two reasons (IMHO)
1) Using cellular voice connection has superior quality since cellular data connection is often very poor.
2) They did not want to make the cellular provider unhappy. This decision was taken before android was a domination phone OS.