Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to robman50

Re: [WIN8] Buying Win8 Pro from Microsoft

There are posts in this forum that explain how to do a clean install to a new hard drive using the $39 downloadable digital upgrade from Microsoft. I've not been able to understand how to do that even after reading and re-reading those posts, but give it a try. I must be misunderstanding something really obvious.

As a workaround. I upgraded a clean, brand new W7 install to W8 and am living with that rather than trying to solve how to use the digital W8 upgrade option to do a clean W8 install on a new drive. That worked.

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
I read somewhere than Win8 Pro lets you do a clean install with the digital download but then again it might be some thing different like the OEM editions.
I can't find the blog I was reading to explain this. I'll keep searching.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Here it is.
blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Gem
said by Gem:

As a workaround. I upgraded a clean, brand new W7 install to W8 and am living with that rather than trying to solve how to use the digital W8 upgrade option to do a clean W8 install on a new drive. That worked.

So a clean install of Win7 with all motherboard, video, and other drivers? Or just Win7 and the drivers after Win8 is installed?

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
Just to be clear , the $39 deal is for an upgrade license . If you want to be fully legal you cannot install it on a new , completely bare , drive . You must first have a qualifying OS installed .
Having said that , Google is your friend
If you just want to start from scratch and wipe your old install , that should be one of the options you are given when you " upgrade "
What with the Media Center key boondoggle , it would not surprise me if you had to have a validated qualifying install instead of just an old install with a " valid " key , so don't know if just throwing a partial XP or 7 on would work .

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by MrFixit1:

What with the Media Center key boondoggle , it would not surprise me if you had to have a validated qualifying install instead of just an old install with a " valid " key , so don't know if just throwing a partial XP or 7 on would work .

My experience was that the W7 install that was upgraded to W8 had to be activated before proceeding with the upgrade.

Simply having the old W7 install disc in a drive or offering up the old W7 key code were not viable options for me to upgrade to W8. I had to upgrade from an installed, activated verison of W7 in order to upgrade using the $39 digital download.