how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

verchad

join:2005-03-11
Joliet, IL

New Install Scheduled for Monday 14th

Been an AT&T Dsl / phone customer and Directv customer for over 15 years, our house was built in the 20's. We are far out and DSL speed is low (so low a tech on a service call a few years ago had said he was surprised we even qualified).

So.... I decided to make the jump to Uverse - Voice Unlimited Phone, U300 with 1 wired dvr and 1 wireless recvr and HD, and Uverse hi speed max 12Mbps.

I watched the video on AT&T about prepping for the install. I figured I'd ask here, for any help from real world experiences that might not have been covered in the video.

Background, in the SW burbs of Chicago - Joliet. House was built in the 20's. The phone line comes into the house at the back and into the basement. The original indoor phone line is still used (a single thick cloth? braided line). I added a few modern runs to a few spots in the house. The computer is at the opposite end of the house. I left a memo in the install notes when I signed up.

Is it possible for the tech to run the line outdoors, from where the gray box is at the back of the house, but instead of bringing the line into the house where the current line is, running it under where the brick overhangs the foundation wall blocks, and running it into the house by the computer room? And I was thinking of picking up a cable and pre running it from the computer room to the living room for the wired dvr receiver. Any special/specific type? Would a cat5e network cable used for video game systems work?

Thanks for any help or input.

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·Mediacom

Hi verchad,

I see no reason, from reading your description, why it wouldn't be possible. However, they may want to charge you for it. I had UVerse for a few years, dropped them to go back to cable to save some money for a while, and was happy with the product. I think AT&T is going to charge you for running any new wires from the NID into the house. If I were you and had concerns about the age of the wires in your house, I would go ahead and get some Cat 5e yourself and try to do the work, unless you don't mind spending more for them to do it. Your DVR can be connected to the RG using Cat 5 e or Coax. So, in short, I would consider running a Cat 5 e myself from the NID to the spot where you want the RG, then the spot where the DVR will be can be connected via Coax or Cat 5 e. As far as other outlets, if you want them for other TVs, they can also be connected via Coax or Cat 5e.

In my house, I had new runs of Cat 5e done before they go there. In my case, they used one pair on the new Cat 5e to feed the data signal into the Living Room where my RG is from the NID. Then, they used another pair on that new Cat 5e to backfeed the POTS phone service from the RG back to the side of the house and ultimately to feed the other extensions in the house. They also then used the Coax cable formally coming into the living room to feed the Coax HPNA signal from the RG back out to the side of the house where a splitter is that feeds two other bedrooms.

Hope this helps!

techguyga
Premium
join:2003-12-31
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I had the triple-play installed in August and my install tech pulled a new home run from the NID to my living room (where the RG sits) as part of the install. From the NID into the outside wall (hollow wall), into the attic, then back down the wall in the living room. Granted, I had the pathway and pull-strings already there for him...but he was happy to do it as part of the installation.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to verchad

I was just trying to think what might be easier/quicker. The house has old plaster & lath walls, no conduit to pull stuff through. The other idea was, if they came in through the current location, running the cat5 myself to the front of the house, as caseywor mentioned. Then another cat 5 from the comp room to the tv room.

Does the terminal (junction box or whatever it's called) where the wires and connection get made have to be right where the wire comes into the house, or can it be elsewhere? Currently the wires com into the house in the laundry room. Gets humid in there sometimes, wondered if that could be an issue? Could it be put in somewhere else in the line before it gets to the computer?

Thanks.

caseywor

Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to techguyga

Maybe they are willing to do a basic home run as part of the service, I really didn't expect that, on DSL or POTS they won't. I think it may have been due to your extra work before he got there. Sometimes I think they are willing to go beyond to assist people who are more tech savvy like we are since we can either make their jobs easier on the install, and possibly harder if it isn't setup right.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to verchad

Was looking at picking up 2 of these. Rocketfish™ - 50' Cat5e Network Cable for Xbox 360, PS3, PS2 and Wii

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%···53145925

$9.99 each in store pickup at BB.

Would these be useable for what I'm thinking of doing?

caseywor

Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to verchad

The main component of the UVerse install is called the RG, Residential Gateway. I would say it doesn't necessarily have to be near the first entrance point for the wire coming in. However, I would strongly recommend the run be as short as possible. Granted, a laundry room wouldn't be a good place.

Basically, the home run, first run from the NID into a jack in the house, is where the RG will have to be by definition I guess you could say. Then, after that, the RG supplies the signal for the TV, internet, and phone service from its output jacks in back of it. So, basically, you will have the line coming directly in from the NID that will be carrying the UVerse data signal, then that feeds the RG wherever it sits. Then, from the RG, there is a 75 ohm Coax outlet for an HPNA signal, four RJ 45 jacks for ethernet connections, and two POTS line outlets for the phone service. That is where it gets trickier, routing from the RG to the other locations where other phones, TVs, or computers are.

Keep in mind, if you are going to use their phone service, the data coming in from the VRAD in your neighborhood via the NID on your house will need to come in on a separate wire pair, then another pair can be used going back out to the side of your house from your RG in order to feed a junction and the other jacks with the phone service.

caseywor

Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to verchad

Those could be used, however, the existing connectors on them would probably not be due to the probable need to use separate line pairs. You may be cheaper, or better served to go to an electronics or radio supply store to get some Cat5e if you can find one in your local area. Basically, I am picturing your house in my mind based on your description, and I think running a new run of Cat5e from the NID to where you would really like the RG to be would be a good thing to do. I would just leave one end hanging with some slack near the NID, and then the other end hanging with some slack either near where you want it to enter the house at a jack, or if you don't mind, drill it into the room where you want the RG and have the slack there where they can put a new jack. After this, they should be able use two jacks where your RG is, like what they did with mine, and have one for incoming via one pair from the NID using the new Cat5e, and another jack to feed the POTs phone service from the RG back out to the NID so as to connect your other phone lines in the house to the phone service. However, this will leave several possibilities about how the TW service and internet goes to your other TVs and PCs. There are a lot of options for that.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to caseywor

We have a vtech cordless phone/answering machine base unit that can be located by the computer. So I guess the PC and Phone connections would be close together, then the other run would be to the living room for the wired dvr.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to caseywor

Just have the one desktop pc, use wifi for my laptop and tablet. And only need the one phone jack connection with the vtech system we have.

caseywor

Birmingham, AL
reply to verchad

I think you should be ok, nothing sounds that out of the ordinary except for the old wiring that is currently coming in form the NID. If you do the new run like we have discussed, I think you will be ok.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to verchad

Thanks

verchad

Joliet, IL

The offer 2 get the 2 cables from the BB offer I would have to do 2 different orders for pickup at 2 different stores. So, I ended up by Menards.
Picked up a loop of 100 ft Cat 5e 24/4 pair for $19.98 + tax. No plugs on the ends. Going to run a long section with a bout 10 feet extra at each end from where the current phone line enters the house at the back in the basement, up to the front and up into the computer room. Then run another line, again with extra, from the computer room into the basement and back up into the living room where the main tv is.
I figure that should help speed up the install and he can splice in wherever he needs to make connections and add connectors.
Sound good?

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04

I had a few customers like yourself and this makes a huge difference on your install. You pretty much did it for the tech, other than any outside issues that can arise, but with the inside done it leaves plenty of time to fix these properly.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to verchad

said by verchad:

Does the terminal (junction box or whatever it's called) where the wires and connection get made have to be right where the wire comes into the house, or can it be elsewhere? Currently the wires com into the house in the laundry room. Gets humid in there sometimes, wondered if that could be an issue? Could it be put in somewhere else in the line before it gets to the computer?

Thanks.

NID outside has to be grounded, this requires it to be w/ in certain footage of that connection and actual relo of a NID is usually billable labor and requires an order to do so, doesn't usually happen on a basic "rehab" for Uverse install.

It is to your benefit to do as much inside work w/ wiring as you can before hardware install to have connections exactly where you want them.

Just my 2c.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to UverseTech

That's what I was hoping for, if I could get some of the main stuff done, that would give the tech more time to deal with any issues that could arise.
And another thought, currently I have AT&T DSL and also use a belkin wifi router for my laptop, tablets, and smartphones. Will there be a need for the belkin after this?

caseywor

Birmingham, AL

With Uverse, the RG that you will get is your router and wireless access point. It used to be made my 2Wire, I think it is Pace now. It won't be needed unless there have been changes made I am unaware of.

verchad

Joliet, IL
reply to verchad

Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

Ended up getting the 100ft cat5 from menards. I thought I estimated fairly well, but when I measured, I needed more line, got some cat6 from Lowes. When we had one problem with the DSL last year, the tech replaced the punch block just inside the house and ran cat5 from that to the outside box. So the tech just spliced the new cat6 line I ran from the basement to the front of the house into that. I ran the cat 5 from the front of the house to the living room tv. His total time on the install was a little less than 2 hours. He appreciated the work I had done and told me few stories about nightmare installs.

My old dsl speed was barely hitting 360 Kbps download. My new Uverse speed is 11.98 Mbps download. WOW what a difference. Fell like a went from a bicycle to an F-16

The tv setup was no problem, the new dvr is much smaller than my Directv HR20-1005. And having the wireless receiver in the bedroom is nice, never had a 2nd Directv rcvr. TV looks great on both sets.
Have had the tv, computer, a phone call, a tablet on wifi, and 2 cell phones on wifi all running at the same time, no issues.

The funny thing is, I called Direct after the install to cancel. Got a very nice rep who offered once, wasn't pushy, to give me a discount equal to what my new savings will be to stay. Said no, because I got the new rate locked for 2 years and some AT&T gift cards coming for the switch, could they match that? He politely said no, and processed the cancel, saying it sounded like I got a good deal. Also said that they will send me an envelope for the access card to be mailed back, I asked what about the receiver, he said no. Guess the model is too old to be worth anything.

About 2 hours later, I get another call, from Directv, telling how I've been with them since 1998, and was there anything they could do. Restated what I told the 1st rep. This guy, in a rude manner says, well thanks for having been a customer, and hangs up.