how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA

1 edit

What is going on with Linux Mint 11 WiFi?

I have Linux Mint 11 installed on an IBM Thinkpad T42. The OS installed just fine and ran very well. I installed several hundred updates after install (333, IIRC) and now my laptop will not see any wireless networks unless I "turn off" the wifi adapter.

The laptop's wifi indicator is "off", but networks still show up in the available networks list. If I turn the wifi "on" all the available networkls disappear.

Is this fixable? If not is there a distro available that does not suffer from this apparent bug?

edit: Reinstalling to verify this is a bug.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
If the WiFi switch setting is maintained in the BIOS, then this might be a problem with the BIOS interface.

I have Mint 11 on an older laptop, where the WiFi switch is a mechanical switch on the side of the computer. Linux completely ignores that switch, though the switch did work in Windows (but I no longer have Windows on that box).
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA
Well, the OS behaves the same way after a very fast reinstall. Perhaps this is less a bug and more a "hardware designed for Windows" issue.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to royhandy
Pretty common, even on Mint 13/14. I had the same thing. The problem is that Ubuntu takes a button push as hard-core physical lock. It seemed if you happened to roll the right combination of numbers, you're wifi was locked out. Take a look at this answer on the Ubuntu forums:
»ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968317
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.