how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

altan

join:2002-02-12
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to altan

Re: Charter Internet Pricing --- Does Charter hide this info?

Wow... This thread certainly generated some conversation. I wanted to follow-up.

I called back Charter and was connected a very good rep. It was kind of a funny start to the call when the rep first said "I see you called yesterday and spoke about internet pricing." It was the perfect setup to say (1) I don't believe I got correct info yesterday and (2) I believe I should be on the $49.95 plan which is faster and cheaper.

The Charter rep agreed and moved me to the $49.95 plan. It was very efficient... 5 minutes or so. With a brief attempt to up sell to voice and TV. FWIW, I already had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem from Charter (a tech gave it to me a year or two ago when I was having a problem).

The only thing that was odd was when the rep, on his own, decided to try and explain why I hadn't automatically been moved to this plan. It went something like, "We have millions and millions of customers on that plan and we would be swamped if we automatically moved everyone." I thought to myself, "isn't that something computers are good at?" and just let the conversion move on.

So IMHO Charter over charged me for 6+ months, gave me a slower service, and proceeded to give me bad info which, intentionally or unintentionally, directed me to continue to pay more than I should... And then it was resolved (with no credit). I think that's still -2 for charter on the scale of good business and customer appreciation.

SlackBlade

join:2006-12-06
Suwanee, GA
reply to smithduluth
I have a SB6121 as well and have been with them over a year. Not sure why there are changes.

FYI: I contacted by phone and chat to see if I got a different answer and did not. I have Internet only with them. Not sure why they are changing.
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2012-06-11

1 edit
reply to pawpaw

Re: Charter Internet Pricing --- Does Charter hide this info?

said by pawpaw:

I am on a $19.99 internet-only promo that expires this month. I contacted Charter yesterday and was told that my charge would increase to $29.99.

My speed appears to be 18/3, which may be limited by my own DOCSIS 2.0 modem. No talk of changing it out.

As usual, I am worried the what the CSR said might not actually happen, that my rate might increase even more. We'll see...

Wow, that is interesting you were quoted a "regular" price of 30 bucks a month for a regular price.?? For standalone internet service?

They quoted me 47.99 which is the regular price stated on my bill.

Care to elaborate a bit more?

If that was possible I might stay. If not I am looking at ATT DSL. I really don't need the speed of 30mb anyhow, never did and don't have an interest in paying for something I don't need and won't ever use.

pawpaw

join:2004-05-05
Greenville, SC
said by 15444104:

Wow, that is interesting you were quoted a "regular" price of 30 bucks a month for a regular price.?? For standalone internet service?

They quoted me 47.99 which is the regular price stated on my bill.

Care to elaborate a bit more?

I got the impression that $29.99 was regarded as a promo. Maybe because I took the trouble to call? I'm not sure. I was also told that the rate is good for a year.

Other potentially relevant items: I am a long-time customer, auto-pay, and could switch to Uverse.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

2 edits
Thanks for the extra info eugenegill!

I'm going to call them and inquire about the price you mentioned.
I WON'T mention your screen name or any other specifics other than mentioning that a member of a forum mentioned that they were offered a price of 29.99/mo for one year of internet only and have been a current Charter customer for some time. If it is a no go I'm ready to pull the trigger and sign up for ATT DSL.

left4dead

join:2008-12-24
Burbank, CA
said by 15444104:

Thanks for the extra info eugenegill!

I'm going to call them and inquire about the price you mentioned.
I WON'T mention your screen name or any other specifics other than mentioning that a member of a forum mentioned that they were offered a price of 29.99/mo for one year of internet only and have been a current Charter customer for some time. If it is a no go I'm ready to pull the trigger and sign up for ATT DSL.

Any UPDATE regarding your call to Charter? Did they give you the $29.99 price extended beyond the promo period?

I'm interested in your findings. Thx

pawpaw

Greenville, SC
said by left4dead:

Any UPDATE regarding your call to Charter? Did they give you the $29.99 price extended beyond the promo period?

I'm interested in your findings. Thx

New bill just arrived - $29.99 as promised. Not thrilled with the price increase, but Charter did what they said they would, so I am satisfied.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
reply to altan
$30 is the 12 month promo price for new customers. I have a friend that just got that. I was not aware that existing customers were able to get that.

pawpaw

Greenville, SC
From my bill:

High Speed Internet 47.99
Internet Base $29.99 12m -18.00
$29.99
Charter Internet Total $29.99
Current Charges $29.99

From this I infer that it is a 12 month promo. The previous bill was identical, except with a $28 deduct, giving a $19.99 charge.

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2
Eugenegill -

Did you just call the 1-800 guys to get that deal? Very rare for them to extend a $30 promo for a year - normally its only for new customers and then only that price if you bundle. You got a good deal!

Historically a common way to get $30 price was the 2-year contract offer, and that had gone up to $35 over a year ago. Then they wanted $10 more to go up a speed package level from 15 to 30mbps. So I consider anything around $45 for 30mbps a "deal" on par with historic prices - but $30 for 30mbps is a steal!

pawpaw

Greenville, SC
I used the online chat function on the Charter website. I almost always communicate with Charter this way, because it lets me save the chat transcript as a record of the conversation. I make sure to include the date and time in the chat, and make the CSR spell out the deal clearly and completely.

BTW, I'm not 100% sure I am on the 30 Mbps plan, as I have not run a test recently. But I do appear to be getting more than 15 with my DOCSIS 2 modem - plenty enough for me.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
$47.99 is the price for the old 15 Mbps plan, exactly what I had. Eugene probably had a 2 year promo with a stepping-stone price: first year $19.99 and second year $29.99. These promos are very common with cable companies. The CSR may have inferred he/she was giving him a new deal when this rate was already in place.

I had my own DOCSIS 2 modem but upgraded to the new 30 Mbps plan for $49.00 (.99 taxes subtracted) and a brand new Cisco DOCSIS 3 modem from Charter. Would not have gotten proper speeds with my old modem.

In regard to promos, I've been a customer since 2001. Tried Direct Forum, phone reps twice and local office, to reduce price of cable tv. Cancelled tv portion, this is stand-alone internet price.