All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Seraphace
join:2013-01-07

Seraphace

[Cable] New Installation speed change billing issues

Hi guys, first time on this forum, but have read through a lot of it over the past couple of months.

I'll give a tiny bit of background, then ask the question.

My landlord signed up for the 18Mbps cable internet service through teksavvy in September. We've had no real issues other than random spikes here and there but that's fine. About 2 weeks ago, our internet was randomly shut off. Upon doing research I've heard that this is relatively common, due to rogers doing their maintenance thing and disconnecting non registered modems etc and having to reset the connection or something like that. This led to us being without service for 4 days.

Upon reconnection and a bit of a runaround from TS staff/ Rogers staff, we were told that we had a virus somewhere in the house and said we had to be disconnected. I've heard this silly excuse before in my past and I know its not the case. I'm hearing about this hearsay from my landlord but I know he's not very tech savvy (I know ) so I don't know if something was lost in translation.

Ultimately, he decided it would be easier if a separate connection was made in the basement so that we have 2 connections in the house.

He signed up for another 18Mbps service which was to be installed in 2 weeks time. When he told me about this, I asked if we could instead do the 28Mbps (I wanted it for the increased upload capacity). He called and the CSR told him that since the modem was already shipped (7 days ahead of the installation?) there was no way to do it without a ton of fees (shipping, restocking, new shipping, new modem cost).

My frustration is this: The service isn't even set up yet, we're trying to pay more* money per month, have not opened the other modem, had the technician who was supposed to show and install it blow us off and said a senior tech had to come out the very next day (who no showed), and I can't seem to do this without a wealth of fees.

I phoned customer care today and asked if there could at least by some sort of one time credit to offset this, as I know hands are tied by certain policies sometimes, but while the CSR was very friendly, she indicated that there's zero that can be done.

So for a small upgrade in service on an installation that hasn't even happened yet, I will have to pay $25 for the higher grade modem (acceptable), $25 for a restocking fee (not even opened, why is it shipped so early, pinning the customer), and shipping fees for both modems to go to where they have to go. I'm trying to give you more per month, and we've already had issues with the existing service, and there's nothing that can be done?

I've worked customer service for 15 years, including 1 year at Bell's retention/winback department. This seems excessive to me.

Thanks,

RM

TSI Brandon
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Brandon

Premium Member

Hello,

I do apologize for the experience you have had thus far. If you could please message us in the »/forum ··· avdirect some account information we can look into what happened and see what we can do to rectify this.

Thank you,
Taunia

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to Seraphace

to Seraphace
I see nothing wrong here. I assume these:

You asked for a 18M service. They ship you a Docsis 2 modem. You changed your mind and ask for 28M = Docsis 3 modem.

Here it is on costs for Teksavvy:

- shipping back and forth the 1st Docsis 2 modem = approx $20 + some only $5 manipulation fee (package teh modem, receive, re-package, provision with Rogers). You are the 1st customer I hear complaining the modem is shipped too fast You were also too fast on ordering and then changing your mind.

- the D3 modem is $25 more so you have to pay for this

Again, I see no issues here ...
Jaxom
join:2012-03-10
East York, ON

Jaxom to Seraphace

to Seraphace
I agree that the OP isn't taking enough personal responsibility.

When I ordered my modem I made sure it was future proof. Teksavvy can't be blamed for you changing your mind, sorry.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to MFido

Premium Member

to MFido
said by MFido:

I see nothing wrong here. I assume these:

You asked for a 18M service. They ship you a Docsis 2 modem. You changed your mind and ask for 28M = Docsis 3 modem.

Technically, Teksavvy can give you 28mbit service on a Docsis 2 modem if they want to. That doesn't change until April. It doesn't make it a good idea. Much much better to get the $99 modem than the $75 modem.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Seraphace

Anon

to Seraphace
said by Seraphace:

Upon reconnection and a bit of a runaround from TS staff/ Rogers staff, we were told that we had a virus somewhere in the house and said we had to be disconnected.

Oh? Hm, I have a question for Teksavvy now.

1) Under what circumstances will you/rogers disconnect someone for having a virus?

2) What virus's do you check for?

3) If I can get on a rooted Teksavvy Ontario cable clients machine for 3 weeks straight and use that teksavvy IP to hide my IP, and maybe perform some election fraud like Pierre Poutine, why is that IP not flagged and disconnected?

Thanks
Expand your moderator at work
Seraphace
join:2013-01-07

Seraphace

Re: [Cable] New Installation speed change billing issues

I understand the sentiments reflected in this thread, but my issue is the fact that technically the cost of comp'd shipping is easily recouped on our 2 monthly accounts for this household. As I said, the 25 dollar difference in the modems I am completely fine with, and that makes sense and don't expect to be comp'd for.

As the last post stated, the difference in one modem being able to do one amount of bandwidth, and others being able to do different amounts is a silly notion. It ends up that if you do the small things for the customer like waiving 20 dollars in shipping, you gain a customer for the next 5 years which is a lot of increased revenue. New customer acquisition is far more than that.

The restocking fee on an unopened router is the one that I have the biggest problem with. If you have an unopened game that you return, or a piece of clothing that you return, there's no restocking fee. As such there shouldn't be on goods such as this. This is typically a way for a company to deter waffling on plans, and increase revenue in general, and in some cases should be able to be waived. There are already "activation fees" and the like, and having to buy proprietary modems that are already industry standard and overlooked. Having me pay an extra 70 dollars to sort out this small difference in plan change seems excessive. Its not necessarily based on "cost".

Thank you to the agent who replied so promptly, I will message soon. As it is my landlord's account that I am an authorized user, I am gathering the info I will need to message you with. Can I just give the telephone number, the password, and my name? Do I need more?

Thanks

TSI Brandon
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Brandon

Premium Member

Hello,

If you could message us the name and phone number on the account, we should be able to pull it up. Once you've message us, We'll look into this for you.

Also have you picked up the modem yet? If not just refuse it at the post office and they will ship it back to us at no cost to you. If a modem is returned to us unopened we do not charge a restocking fee. The restocking fee is only charge for returned modems that are open because we can not resell it at full cost.

I do apologize for the miscommunication you received, we will definitely be looking into your account and coaching the agents that have provided you the incorrect information, so that this doesn't happen to you or any other customer in the future.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to Seraphace

to Seraphace
said by Seraphace:

I understand the sentiments reflected in this thread, but my issue is the fact that technically the cost of comp'd shipping is easily recouped on our 2 monthly accounts for this household.

Unless you cancel right away, and then instead of TSI making a profit off you, they've just taken a loss.
said by Seraphace:

It ends up that if you do the small things for the customer like waiving 20 dollars in shipping, you gain a customer for the next 5 years which is a lot of increased revenue. New customer acquisition is far more than that.

Again, there's no guarantee that's the case. If you're willing to back up that statement and sign a 5 year contract with a $500 cancellation penalty, then I'm sure they'd be more than happy to comp you $20 in shipping. But TekSavvy doesn't do contracts, so as I mentioned above there's no guarantee they'll recoup any costs from you since you're free to leave at any time.
said by Seraphace:

The restocking fee on an unopened router is the one that I have the biggest problem with. If you have an unopened game that you return, or a piece of clothing that you return, there's no restocking fee. As such there shouldn't be on goods such as this.

There I totally agree with you. And it looks like Taunia does as well, so there must have been a miscommunication there.