share rss forum feed

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to clarknova

Re: Help with VLANs

if i add more vlans i am going to try to do them on the same NIC for practice (in setup) and to see how well it works.

however, do you run a separate NIC for WAN and LAN? i have a virtual box setup and i can install pfsense on that and test it in a virtual environment with 1 NIC for everything.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by tomdlgns:

do you run a separate NIC for WAN and LAN?

No. I used to, but then I upgraded to a board with only a single NIC, and I didn't have another NIC to add to it at the time. I will probably add one, but I've been running this way for a while.

Even with separate WAN and LAN NICs I would still have vlans on both NICs, because I'm doing 8-line MLPPP, so I have 8 modems vlanned into the WAN.
--
db

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

i was going to ask if this was for a business environment, but after reading your last reply i know the answer.

then again, why would anyone have 13 vlans in a home setup?

actually, i am sure someone probably does. i had three for testing my setup, but now i only have two. not really needed for what i do, but still nice having a separate network for x reason.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

I run a home-based hobby ISP, so it services business and personal networks. Fortunately pfsense makes it easy to separate what needs to be separated.
--
db