spc
Search similar:

uniqs
boblane9
join:2003-07-26
Oceanside, CA

1 recommendation

boblane9

[TWC] Is the ARRIS TM602G a wifi router, or just cable modem?

Helping a friend who just moved into a new house. He has this cable modem, and I'm having a tough time figuring out if his setup will work the way he's got it wired right now. The modem is a TM602G. I was unable to login to it using the default gateway address like I thought I would be able to in order to check out the features. Does anyone know if this is a router, how to login to it, etc?

They have internet connectivity, and the TW installer was able to connect from every jack, however we can only get it to work as long as one computer is connected, which leads me to believe this is a plain old cable modem with a static ip address. Thanks in advance for any info.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

jpatton1979

Re: [TWC] Is the ARRIS TM602G a wifi router, or just cable modem

I believe it's a telephony modem (both VoIP & Internet) and doesn't include WiFi.

You'll need to add a router (WiFi or otherwise) if you want to share the connection with multiple PCs.
boblane9
Oceanside, CA

1 recommendation

boblane9

Thanks, that's what I started to suspect. Its a large house and the guy thats wiring all the TV's has it configured Modem->Switch->patch panel-> to a couple of subtended Wifi boosters. I haven't dealt with new service for a long time and just assumed providers are by default turning up with Cable Modem/Routers.
boblane9

boblane9

Follow up question, what protocol does Time Warner use? In other words which option in a router, PPPoE, or something like that?
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY

jpatton1979

PPPoE is usually for DSL connections. Depending on the router you just set it to something like "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" (at least that's how it appears on my router running DD-WRT).

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude to boblane9

Premium Member

to boblane9
said by boblane9:

Follow up question, what protocol does Time Warner use? In other words which option in a router, PPPoE, or something like that?

Just a standard DHCP. I had to configure this cable modem for my parents' big house as well. I got them a Netgear R6300 router since my old Linksys WRT54GL did not do well for far distances. Surprisingly, we did not need any extras for the router.
boblane9
Oceanside, CA

boblane9

I'm an AT&T U-Verse customer and when I went to help my buddy out, and once I confirmed here that the cable modem was all TW gave them, my initial thought is that 1999 called, and they want their Internet back. I find it odd that they don't provide customers a hybrid modem /router.

somelurker
@rr.com

somelurker

Anon

They do provide combo modem/routers for many services. IMHO, you are best off with a stand alone modem and a GOOD router. The all-in-one boxes that providers uses are not that great at wifi or routing.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by somelurker :

They do provide combo modem/routers for many services. IMHO, you are best off with a stand alone modem and a GOOD router. The all-in-one boxes that providers uses are not that great at wifi or routing.

Ditto. Also, easier to replace parts and narrow down if problems.