how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to aguiar0016

Re: [DVR] External DVR Storage

Is it really worth it to buy a $100 hard drive when we're all going to be moving to X1 and cloud storage this year?

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by mariod:

Is it really worth it to buy a $100 hard drive when we're all going to be moving to X1 and cloud storage this year?

wait, we all are this year? where did you see that? That would be exciting news!

mariod

(double post)

mariod

reply to The Q

said by The Q:

wait, we all are this year? where did you see that? That would be exciting news!

ComcastTed in October:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···5#M57148

We continue to test and trial the new cloud-based X1 guide on our Cisco RNG cable boxes and the plan would be to deliver the X1 experience (On-Screen Guide 3.0) on the Cisco RNG 200N and the Cisco 150N cable boxes by the end of 2013.

The Q

Collegeville, PA

said by mariod:

said by The Q:

ComcastTed in October:

We continue to test and trial the new cloud-based X1 guide on our Cisco RNG cable boxes and the plan would be to deliver the X1 experience (On-Screen Guide 3.0) on the Cisco RNG 200N and the Cisco 150N cable boxes by the end of 2013.

Ah, I live in a Motorola area so the Cisco boxes are not available to me.

Do you really think it will be on all those box types and all areas this year?

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to mariod

There's nothing in that thread about cloud-storage for DVR recordings.

ComcastTed specifically says that the 3.0 _guide_ is cloud-based, not the recorded shows. He goes on to give detailed advice about who can and can't add storage to their existing STBs.

And the DVR section of the X1 FAQ says nothing about cloud storage of recordings. In fact, there are three or four questions in the DVR section of the X1 FAQ about age-old physical-equipment problems: power outages, zero space left, etc:

»xfinity.comcast.net/x1/faq/

and all the answers only make sense if you're "recording" to a device in your living room.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to aguiar0016

Jan 18 update from ComcastTed re PA, NJ, and DE

Update from ComcastTed:

quote:
1.18.13 UPDATE: Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH now have this feature available. Comcast areas in PA, NJ and DE are currently scheduled to be supported the week of February 12. All areas are currently scheduled to have this feature available in early 2013.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1463565

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to mariod

Re: [DVR] External DVR Storage

said by mariod:

A $100 hard drive works out (in one year) to $8 a month for 1TB storage capacity.

Given that DVR service is now $8 a month, and the most widely available DVR STBs top out at half a TB or less, I'd say it's a bargain - in the upside-down land of the Xfinity Universe, that is.

Of course, some people enjoy paying equipment swap fees, waiting in line at the service office, waiting at home for a truck roll, losing their existing recordings when they swap out their box, reconnecting their audio equipment, etc.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to mariod

Silly question to ask, you as a Comcast customer should know how things can get delayed for months and years.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

There's nothing in that thread about cloud-storage for DVR recordings.

ComcastTed specifically says that the 3.0 _guide_ is cloud-based, not the recorded shows. He goes on to give detailed advice about who can and can't add storage to their existing STBs.

And the DVR section of the X1 FAQ says nothing about cloud storage of recordings. In fact, there are three or four questions in the DVR section of the X1 FAQ about age-old physical-equipment problems: power outages, zero space left, etc:

»xfinity.comcast.net/x1/faq/

and all the answers only make sense if you're "recording" to a device in your living room.

The following excerpt is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" blog. Please note the underlined words and that Comcast is notorious for failing to meet its schedule.
quote:
Our goal this year is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.
See »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to The Q

said by The Q:

said by mariod:

said by The Q:

ComcastTed in October:

Ah, I live in a Motorola area so the Cisco boxes are not available to me.

Do you really think it will be on all those box types and all areas this year?

Comcast plans on supporting X1 on the more modern Motorola STBs.

I don't think it will be on all those boxes and in all areas this year.
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to Russ6

Um-Hm. I'm a Digital Econ TV-only subscriber in Philly with a DCX3400.

So in answer to mariod's question - yes, I'd like the $100 eSATA drive option today, please. Oh, wait. My box isn't even cleared for Extender with A30 in place.

So, wow. You're right! I'll save that incredibly exorbitant $100 price tag for a hard drive, and simply wait for

1) X1 to be rolled out in this market, and
2) Comcast to issue me compatible equipment, and
3) DVR-in-the-cloud "opportunities" to be enabled.

Done, and done!

Russ6

Houston, TX

I wouldn't wait for Comcast to offer DVR recordings in the cloud. It will be a long time before Comcast makes that available to all its customers. If you need more storage and can get the right equipment with the right software to support an external drive, I think it would be worth the cost.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

said by Russ6:

I wouldn't wait for Comcast to offer DVR recordings in the cloud. It will be a long time before Comcast makes that available to all its customers. If you need more storage and can get the right equipment with the right software to support an external drive, I think it would be worth the cost.

I should have used some smileys. My point was that $100 for a TB of DVR storage now (mariod's rhetorical question) is a great deal when compared to playing waiting and service games with Comcast.

teddystacker

join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aguiar0016

What totally Amazes me is that Comcast's Very Recent DVR (The Moto DCX3400) doe not even support external storage , anyone care to speculate why? , when their almost 10 year old boxs do?

Do they really expect us to "downgrade" to a crappier box so that we can have access to this new feature?

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2

said by teddystacker:

What totally Amazes me is that Comcast's Very Recent DVR (The Moto DCX3400) doe not even support external storage , anyone care to speculate why? , when their almost 10 year old boxs do?

Do they really expect us to "downgrade" to a crappier box so that we can have access to this new feature?

Doesn't the DCX3400 already have an eSATA port and from a previous post, it's just waiting for Comcast to roll out activating it?
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

said by THZNDUP:

said by teddystacker:

Doesn't the DCX3400 already have an eSATA port and from a previous post, it's just waiting for Comcast to roll out activating it?

Yes and No. Yes it has an eSATA port, and yes Comcast is working on it. But No, it is not getting eSATA enabled right away. They say it needs more testing.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

probably it needs more testing because it's so new? I'd be pissed if I had that brand new model only to find out that because it's new the eSATA port wouldn't be updated like the rest of the Motorola's.

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to SpHeRe31459

Hummmmmm.........

»Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

Looks like it's packaged as part of the guide update by area. jblues See Profile seems to have gotten one to work.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

jblues

join:2001-04-28
Allen Park, MI

1 recommendation

said by THZNDUP:

Hummmmmm.........

»Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

Looks like it's packaged as part of the guide update by area. jblues See Profile seems to have gotten one to work.

Yes, I have a DCX 3400 and yes, I have had the Extender for 2 months now with NO issues. It is not "officially" supported (not sure why), but when your area gets guide A30 and the eSATA port is enabled on all the other Motorola boxes in your area (check the thread in the Comcast forums), it IS enabled on this one as well.

My advice: spend $100 and try it! Based on my experience, you will be glad you did!

mariod

reply to yhp

said by yhp:

My point was that $100 for a TB of DVR storage now (mariod's rhetorical question) is a great deal when compared to playing waiting and service games with Comcast.

Except you're not paying $100 for a TB of storage.

I already have 500gb of storage. You're paying $100 for GBs 501 through 1501. For only a year or two before its defunct. Is that really worth $100??

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by mariod:

said by yhp:

My point was that $100 for a TB of DVR storage now (mariod's rhetorical question) is a great deal when compared to playing waiting and service games with Comcast.

I already have 500gb of storage. You're paying $100 for GBs 501 through 1501. For only a year or two before its defunct. Is that really worth $100??

If reliable cloud DVR support ever becomes available, you'll have the the external hard drive available for other uses such as a back up drive for a portable or desk computer. My laptop has an eSata port as does my desk computer. A TB means storage for a huge number of pictures.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

mariod

1) I already have a backup HD.
2) Prices on non-Comcast sanctioned, even if you needed another 1tb of storage, HDs are still better than the $100+ tag that comes with this drive.

Here's a usb 3.0 1tb mybook for $10 cheaper. »www.amazon.com/Book-Essential-Ex···&sr=1-49

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 edit
reply to mariod

said by mariod:

said by yhp:

A few things:

1.) You're assuming Comcast can actually get their X1 platform 100% working (it's currently missing some common DVR features that other platforms have, and has 3 tuners completely disabled). So you're assuming that not only will Comcast have fixed the bugs in the X1 hardware/software platform (which is where the X1 Guide is initially being tested), but that it can then quickly and bug free deploy it across their whole footprint of varying hardware platforms (newer Moto, Cisco, and Pace boxes) all within the next two years. That would be very aggressive for any cable provider, let alone the nation's largest. And given Comcast's poor track record that's highly unlikely.

2.) Cloud DVR storage is controversial and so far has been put on hold by legal issues when other MSOs have tried it. So you cannot depend on a sudden increase in space beyond your local storage. Notice the language from Comcast about such a feature has been very tentative. Also consider that people feel better about local storage because Comcast cannot just suddenly have a glitch at their facility and kill your cloud storage by mistake or say force your recording to age out after a certain number of days and be deleted on purpose due to agreements with content holders.

3.) Don't expect Comcast to start offering to swap out your Moto DCX series DVR with an X1 platform based one, without you asking/paying more. Look how long Comcast has kept ancient hardware in service, the Moto DCT-2000 series is still in use for people with SD TVs. So you might get the software upgrade to the X1 Guide on the DCX, but you'll still have 500GB of local storage.

4.) Lastly, you already have one of Comcast's largest DVRs so maybe you don't care to have more space. But those of us with a bit older/smaller capacity DVRs would like it.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to mariod

said by mariod:

1) I already have a backup HD.
2) Prices on non-Comcast sanctioned, even if you needed another 1tb of storage, HDs are still better than the $100+ tag that comes with this drive.

Here's a usb 3.0 1tb mybook for $10 cheaper. »www.amazon.com/Book-Essential-Ex···&sr=1-49

pretty sure you need a drive with esata and not USB for the comcast DVR.

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to jblues

Unless Comcast changes their migration route or speed, it'll be a while for the west coast. The only good point is that hopefully most of any bugs will be fixed by then (and no new ones introduced).
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to aguiar0016

I would say the primary unfortunate angle to this is you lose the recordings. It makes no sense that they cannot go DVR to DVR with you. Or that when you want to swap boxes that you cannot back up the box drive to the external.

From a CS perspective this would end a lot of problems with getting customers to upgrade from greatly obsolete hardware. Could even for example if a tech is doing the swap the techs could have external drives.

But as expected the customer hating content owners make Comcast have the external drive format any time its connected to a new box.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

1 edit

said by Kearnstd:

I would say the primary unfortunate angle to this is you lose the recordings. It makes no sense that they cannot go DVR to DVR with you. Or that when you want to swap boxes that you cannot back up the box drive to the external.

From a CS perspective this would end a lot of problems with getting customers to upgrade from greatly obsolete hardware. Could even for example if a tech is doing the swap the techs could have external drives.

But as expected the customer hating content owners make Comcast have the external drive format any time its connected to a new box.

Do they though? We heae the same reason for clear QAM going away but I was talking to a relative yesterday that lives in Westin, FL. They are serviced by Advanced Cable which is a small MSO. They just completed a digiral migration themselves and are giving out DTAs. They have instructions on their website that customers who have digital tvs with QAM tuners won't need DTAs and can tune into all 2-99 channels directly. If this small company is not bullied by the content companies to encrypt, it seems likely Comcast has much more latitude in DVR and QAM encryption then we've been led to believe.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Zoder:

... If this small company is not bullied by the content companies to encrypt, it seems likely Comcast has much more latitude in DVR and QAM encryption then we've been led to believe.

Or perhaps that small company does not have enough customers for the content providers to be overly concerned about at this point in time. There currently are bigger fish to fry.

However, at some point in the future, the ROI will be there for even the small companies.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to jblues

To answer that question of not being sure why it is not officially supported, please see: »Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes