Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to aguiar0016

Re: [DVR] External DVR Storage

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M63740

Our goal this year is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings.
So, again, is it really worth $100 out of pocket for such a short time?

teddystacker

join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

My guess about cloud storage DVR is that they will only allow you to store recordings for a short period of time (2-3 weeks) before it "expires". For many people this is fine , but I for one have some recordings on my DVR that go back months. Somehow I cannot see dear old Comcast letting us store months worth of data - hope I am wrong . But thinking about it they are not actually storing "your" data on their servers just a link to a file they have recorded for you , with the amount of data involved and Comcast not exactly have a great rep for being generous to its Customers I would still say 2-3 weeks would be the limit..

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to mariod

said by mariod:

do you really think that X1 with cloud DVR will be available to everyone and all areas this year? I don't and that's why I have have an external DVR now. For me it's worth it.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to teddystacker

said by teddystacker:

My guess about cloud storage DVR is that they will only allow you to store recordings for a short period of time (2-3 weeks) before it "expires". For many people this is fine , but I for one have some recordings on my DVR that go back months. Somehow I cannot see dear old Comcast letting us store months worth of data - hope I am wrong . But thinking about it they are not actually storing "your" data on their servers just a link to a file they have recorded for you , with the amount of data involved and Comcast not exactly have a great rep for being generous to its Customers I would still say 2-3 weeks would be the limit..

I can beat that, my mother had movies and multiple seasons of Showtime and HBO shows on her 8300 from 2006 to 2012 before the internal hard drive blew up in December.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mariod

said by mariod:

With the way Comcast does things, it's going to be years before it's seen everywhere.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to mariod

said by mariod:

Oh I see you're back to crap all over the idea of an external hard drive based on some very tentative language in a couple of comments by Comcast again, eh?

There are a few key pieces to pay attention to in your quote:
1. "our goal" -- it is not in any way a given
2. "this year" -- it's still January, that means they have until December to make it work, if it even sees the light of day in broad deployment at all in 2013.
3. There is no mention of target footprint for this "goal", that means that there could simply be an expanded beta test by year's end and it would satisfy the criteria of the very non-specific nature of his comment.

Remember Ted is basically being nice and giving those of us who are more interested in the bleeding edge a preview of things that are in testing, not necessarily something that is imminent for deployment to the masses.

So how about, as I said in a previous comment, you stop pointing out a feature that is effectively non-existent at the moment (cloud DVR storage) and telling us we're all a bunch of fools for being interested in expanded local capacity. You've said your piece many times over in this thread.

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to jblues

DVR Extender service is apparently alive and well in Center City Philly.

said by jblues:

Also available at Amazon:
»www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-eSA···extneder

This is the one that just arrived on our doorstep from Amazon today. $99, I put it on my powered-on DCX3400 (340GB on the internal drive), followed the prompts, and it was a breeze. Went from north of 90% to 21%.

My service area is Center City Philly, and about 4-5 GB of recording went to the new device just this evening. Software version on the Motorola is A30/R25.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

I kinda feel forced to warn to just be careful because the 3400 isn't officially supported yet(there are apparently bugs and undesired behavior with this model) and recordings could possibly be lost. Your mileage may vary. »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M65656

mariod

reply to teddystacker

said by teddystacker:

Considering that federal copyright law also prohibits you from storing recordings after you've watched them, you're likely correct. But I highly doubt it will be just 2-3 weeks. People taking a 10 day vacation would fall victim to such a short time span. More likely something like six months.

mariod

reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by mariod:

Oh I see you're back to crap all over the idea of an external hard drive based on some very tentative language in a couple of comments by Comcast again, eh?

2. "this year" -- it's still January, that means they have until December to make it work, if it even sees the light of day in broad deployment at all in 2013.
3. There is no mention of target footprint for this "goal", that means that there could simply be an expanded beta test by year's end and it would satisfy the criteria of the very non-specific nature of his comment.

Remember Ted is basically being nice and giving those of us who are more interested in the bleeding edge a preview of things that are in testing, not necessarily something that is imminent for deployment to the masses.

So how about, as I said in a previous comment, you stop pointing out a feature that is effectively non-existent at the moment (cloud DVR storage) and telling us we're all a bunch of fools for being interested in expanded local capacity. You've said your piece many times over in this thread.

Actually, I brought new information to the table. You're the one blindly parroting yourself.

Go ahead and waste your money, I don't care. But stop acting like its such a brilliant decision.

teddystacker

Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mariod

You may be correct , I was basing my 2-3 week "guess" on two factors:

1) The reputation Comcast has had for many years for not quite exactly giving its Customers "value for money".

2) To store 100's of Channels in real time for both SD and HD for a six month time frame will require some pretty funky data storage. Even though many of the more popular titles they will already have stored as part of their existing VOD services.

You are right about the legal implications though , I had not given that a thought , I wonder what ABC will think about Comcast storing all their content for weeks/months at a time..

Another thing to think about is that they will have to edit out the commercials for all these shows , as I am sure they will just not capture each programs raw , as that will mean commercials being intact.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to mariod

said by mariod:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by mariod:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···uipment/New-Features-for-Scientific-Atlanta-Cisco-Cable-Boxes/m-p/1535557#M63740

Actually, I brought new information to the table. You're the one blindly parroting yourself.

Go ahead and waste your money, I don't care. But stop acting like its such a brilliant decision.

said by Zoder:

said by beachintech:

If you have SA/Cisco equipment, you can already do this.

We're Motorola.

Hummmmmmmm.........
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to Mike Wolf

Thanks for the direct URL. I was aware that the DCX3400 hadn't passed testing. LOL'ed this:

quote:
The exact issues observed are actually confidential and proprietary.

where "confidential and proprietary" == embarrassing.

The Comcast DVR model as is is to keep the single internal drive spinning 24/7 unless you remove the Motorola STB from a power source. Failure is not only an option, it's pretty surely an inevitability.

I figure my newly purchased external has a good year of service in it. My DCX3400, however, is old enough that if this were my home desktop system, I'd be busy about replacing the drive simply because it's time. Losing recordings is part and parcel of any DRM-controlled ecosystem. It goes with the territory.

teddystacker

Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

@yhp - Well said , when I connected my External 2TB drive to my "un supported" DCX3400 I am actually expecting it to fail at any time , just as I am with the internal drive that's almost Four years old

Getting the most of of these devices and pushing them to their limits (without doing anything illegal) is what gives people like me a buzz , I have never been and never will be a "off the shelf" person. But I have the greatest respect for those people that are scared they may loose all their recorded seasons of Desperate Housewives or Katie.... but in the real world they run about the same risk as I do , The so called "support" people at Comcast or WD don't have much chance of recovering data once the bearing in a drive fail as they often do..

mariod

reply to teddystacker

said by teddystacker:

You may be correct , I was basing my 2-3 week "guess" on two factors:

1) The reputation Comcast has had for many years for not quite exactly giving its Customers "value for money".

2) To store 100's of Channels in real time for both SD and HD for a six month time frame will require some pretty funky data storage. Even though many of the more popular titles they will already have stored as part of their existing VOD services.

You are right about the legal implications though , I had not given that a thought , I wonder what ABC will think about Comcast storing all their content for weeks/months at a time..

Another thing to think about is that they will have to edit out the commercials for all these shows , as I am sure they will just not capture each programs raw , as that will mean commercials being intact.

I know there are theories that they will have one copy of each show that we'll all access.

But what if it simply is just cloud storage of your recording? Would it really take that much space? If they put a 6 month expiration date on anything in the cloud, and we all use local DVRs as primary storage, I think we're overestimating how much cloud storage would actually be needed.

teddystacker

Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

@mariod

I agree , storing a users recorded data in their cloud would mean much less data storage on Comcast's end. It will be very interesting to see what route they actually take.
I for one will be keeping my hardware storing DVR for as long as They let me , but in the end I guess they will move everyone to cloud storage , so they can have as much control over the process as possible. As Apple have done , these companies want the user to have less and less control where possible.

mariod

I think we'll have hardware storage for the rest of our lifetimes, actually. If you go cloud only, you have a lot of network connection issues that are insurmountable.

I think cloud as backup/overflow storage is the best solution. If you switch STBs, you put it all in the cloud and then pull it back when you bring home the new box. If you go on vacation, you send everything to the cloud to be watched remotely, and leave the local HD empty so it has capacity to record everything while you're gone.

But the best solutions are always the simplest, and that would be to keep local storage as well. Hell, 500gb of storage is crazy cheap now anyway, its not like the harddrives are some great cost to making STBs, since they need a hard drive for guide software and program data et al.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I agree with the network issue problems. As I've said before, what if the cable goes out and the DVR can't access the cloud storage, and Comcast decides to disable the internal drive for recording purposes, customers won't be able to access any recordings at all till the cable comes back on. At least with local storage they can still watch all their recordings.

I think the program data you mentioned is actually stored on vram because when the power is lost and restored the box has to reload all 14 days.

I like the idea of being able to offload or master dump the entire DVR content into the cloud, swap boxes, and reload back onto the new DVR.

I'd like to think that in this day and age Comcast can stream the content of the drive over the web to other devices (sorta like TiVo can do or Slingbox can do)
--

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

said by Mike Wolf:

I agree with the network issue problems. As I've said before, what if the cable goes out and the DVR can't access the cloud storage, and Comcast decides to disable the internal drive for recording purposes, customers won't be able to access any recordings at all till the cable comes back on. At least with local storage they can still watch all their recordings.

I'm not sure that's exactly true.

After a cold boot, you can't access local DVR recordings on a DCX3400 until the software has "phoned home" and verified what services you are signed up for. Even then, it takes a while to do anything except hit the "MENU" button and see a message that services are being restored. So, what we have today is all the risk and service interruption of the cloud, with none of the benefits.

(Exception: I have seen a recording-in-progress get right back to business, even before DVR service was accessible from the menu.).

So while I haven't tried it, my guess is that you can't bring up a box disconnected from the xfinity mothership and watch recordings on the hard drive.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

True, however I was talking about the cable going out after the box has fully booted and everything has already been loaded.

davidros

join:2007-04-25
Pompano Beach, FL
reply to aguiar0016

External DVR Storage in pompano beach fl dcx3400,, do we know when it will be enabled?

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Do you have the "a30" software, if so, it might.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
reply to davidros

Plug in the external drive and see what happens, that's what Comcast told me to tell customers, LOL
The 3400 series aren't officially supported so it's uncertain on performance and stability. Comcast says "sometime this year"

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to yhp

(topic move) [DVR] Spin Down Feature

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 9 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Comcast Equip] Spin Down Feature