caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor to verchad

to verchad

Re: New Install Scheduled for Monday 14th

The main component of the UVerse install is called the RG, Residential Gateway. I would say it doesn't necessarily have to be near the first entrance point for the wire coming in. However, I would strongly recommend the run be as short as possible. Granted, a laundry room wouldn't be a good place.

Basically, the home run, first run from the NID into a jack in the house, is where the RG will have to be by definition I guess you could say. Then, after that, the RG supplies the signal for the TV, internet, and phone service from its output jacks in back of it. So, basically, you will have the line coming directly in from the NID that will be carrying the UVerse data signal, then that feeds the RG wherever it sits. Then, from the RG, there is a 75 ohm Coax outlet for an HPNA signal, four RJ 45 jacks for ethernet connections, and two POTS line outlets for the phone service. That is where it gets trickier, routing from the RG to the other locations where other phones, TVs, or computers are.

Keep in mind, if you are going to use their phone service, the data coming in from the VRAD in your neighborhood via the NID on your house will need to come in on a separate wire pair, then another pair can be used going back out to the side of your house from your RG in order to feed a junction and the other jacks with the phone service.
verchad
join:2005-03-11
Joliet, IL

verchad

We have a vtech cordless phone/answering machine base unit that can be located by the computer. So I guess the PC and Phone connections would be close together, then the other run would be to the living room for the wired dvr.

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL

caseywor

I think you should be ok, nothing sounds that out of the ordinary except for the old wiring that is currently coming in form the NID. If you do the new run like we have discussed, I think you will be ok.