Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

Re: Scandal? Griffin wasn't cleared to play by team doc

said by Draiman:

Even Tebow who is a way better runner then RG3......

WHOOOOOT!

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Blogger

what is funny, remember this :

»content.usatoday.com/communities···AJnfNl8E

The Chicago Bears defended QB Jay Cutler on Sunday after he came under withering criticism from fans, analysts and even fellow players for having left an NFC title game loss to the Green Bay Packers with a knee injury.

No matter what RG3 & the coachs would of done, it would of been wrong .. the media & fans I think just love to complain & bitch & moan when something happens like this .. a huge catch-22 if you ask me ..

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Moorecards:

what is funny, remember this :

»content.usatoday.com/communities···AJnfNl8E

The Chicago Bears defended QB Jay Cutler on Sunday after he came under withering criticism from fans, analysts and even fellow players for having left an NFC title game loss to the Green Bay Packers with a knee injury.

No matter what RG3 & the coachs would of done, it would of been wrong .. the media & fans I think just love to complain & bitch & moan when something happens like this .. a huge catch-22 if you ask me ..

Yup! Your either not tough enough or have too large of an ego to do what's best for the team. You lose either way in this type of situation.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Blogger

»espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/st···y-opener

Full ACL and LCL tear. Complete reconstructive surgery to come.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

Sad too see.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shaner

said by shaner:

Weird that what they said then doesn't match what actually happened today.

"A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that the procedure was expected to last about two hours. The person said orthopedist James Andrews planned to repair a torn lateral collateral ligament and examine the state of Griffin's ACL."
»sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-r···nfl.html

Also note this:
"Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson made a remarkable return this season some eight months after tearing an ACL - and nearly broke the NFL's single-season rushing record"

You can have this type of injury and come back better then before!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

RGIII is the better hype. Luck and Griffin the rookies with a longer playing life. The Colts made a wise choice and so did Seattle. The style RGIII plays I give him 5 years. In his first year he's already had a concussion and severe knee injuries.

Shanahan should change his play calling and not run the option on first down. When out of the pocket he's fair game for every defender and next year they WILL hit him hard.

Restrict it to 3rd downs and in the red zone and when absolutely necessary.
--
Liberalism is a mental disorder

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blogger

'"Robert's ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession," Griffin II said, via text. "You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace."'
»www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000···-surgery
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

said by shaner:

Weird that what they said then doesn't match what actually happened today.

"A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that the procedure was expected to last about two hours. The person said orthopedist James Andrews planned to repair a torn lateral collateral ligament and examine the state of Griffin's ACL."
»sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-r···nfl.html

Shaner is correct.

They began the surgery today on Griffin starting with the LCL. While in the knee they saw that that the ACL needed surgery also.

Some players with this type of injury are able to play in the season following the injury. Others have to miss the season following the surgery. With this type of injury it is impossible to accurately predict how fast and how well the athlete will recover.

It will be another 6-8 weeks before a more accurate prognosis can be made regarding the condition of the knee and the time needed to rehabilitate it to be able to return to playing.

Robert Griffin's father confirmed to USA TODAY Sports that it was determined Wednesday that RG3 needed to have his anterior cruciate ligament repaired.

"Robert's ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession," Griffin II said, via text. "You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace."

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000···ght-knee

»www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ro···ory.html

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blogger

'"Robert's ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession," Griffin II said, via text. "You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace."'

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000···-surgery

Most definitely NOT a FULL ACL tear as shaner said.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit

said by Draiman:

Most definitely NOT a FULL ACL tear as shaner said.

The degree of injury to to the ACL is unimportant except to whether it needs surgery. If ACL reconstructive surgery is required the procedure is essentially the same regardless of the specific injury. His ACL was in bad enough condition to require reconstructive surgery. That normally means the ACL has to be completely replaced. (In Griffins case this latest surgery will be the second time reconstructing the ACL.)

Regardless, Griffin had to have surgery on both ligaments.

Team staff in Washington made a bad decision to let him play as long as he did because it was obvious in real time that his knee deteriorating. The impact on Griffin from his knee injury was clear to even the most uneducated lay person. His increasing level of pain, lack of mobility, and level of function, dramatically reduced his effectiveness on the field. That was obvious to anyone with eyes.

Again, as stated before the surgery was determined after the game to be needed, he should not have been allowed to continue playing as long as he did. The results from today validate that.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

said by Blogger:

Again, as stated even before the surgery was determined after the game to be needed he should not have been allowed to continue playing as long as he did. The results from today validate that.

That was my original point. The severity of the injury when there was clear discomfort from RGIII throughout the entire game means somebody dropped the ball here on the Redskins sideline. I think Shanny should be fired. I mean, even the Vikings coaching staff could clearly see thier starting QB was not in good enough game shape and they went with a complete bust as a backup (sorry Joe Webb, that was embarrassing.) The Redskins had a viable Plan B, and they chose to endanger the career of a potential franchise QB. The Skins could have beaten Seattle with Kirk Cousins. This injury, and the time RGIII takes to recover from it, is all on Shanny.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

The White House Press Secty weighs in by dumping on Shanahan:
»www.politico.com/politico44/2013···762.html

White House press secretary Jay Carney weighed in Wednesday on Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan's decision to let Robert Griffin III continue playing with a knee injury that ultimately caused the rookie quarterback to collapse in the fourth quarter of the season-ending game against the Seattle Seahawks.

"It was painful to watch," Carney said during a press briefing. "I'm not a football coach, but it sure seemed like, as remarkable a player as he is, he wasn’t in a position to continue playing."

He also brought up a tweet from The Onion satirizing that Shanahan had cleared RGIII to "Help Carry Furniture Down Some Icy Steps."

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

Next year assuming a satisfactory to excellent recovery, (the latter is possible but unlikely), hopefully the Redskins staff have learned something by this incident and then watching Russell Wilson at Seattle.

The Seahawks use Wilson much more intelligently in their play calling then the Skins with Griffin. Specifically, in when they run by design, or on the option, or to avoid a sack.

Wilson keeps the ball sparingly on the option. To avoid sacks first tries to run behind the line to avoid the sack while still looking receivers. If he decides to turn it up field either immediately or belatedly he usually runs to the open area avoiding big hit opportunities by the D. He usually slides in or goes down as they close in.

Griffin is all most the opposite to the above and as a result exposes himself to more big or repetitive hits and possible injuries. That's bad coaching.

In the long run the major attribute to a Championship caliber QB is their arm. It's ultimately about the passing. There is a reason why Steve Young was never an elite future Hall of Fame NFL QB UNTIL he was all most 30 years old.
--
The signal usually is drowned out by the noise.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

said by Blogger:

Wilson keeps the ball sparingly on the option.

Seemed like Seattle used the read option play every three or four plays against Atlanta. Wilson just seems to do a better job of reading his keys instead of just taking off all the time. If the DE keeps contain, you hand off. If the DE crashes inside, you keep it and run outside. RG3 just seems to keep it all the time.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

There are several differences between Seattle and Washington on offense. First is that Seattle's offensive line is far better pass blocking, and Wilson gets more time than Griffin. Second is that Seattle receivers seem to run deeper pass routes, which opens up the middle of the field when Wilson decides they're covered and he runs. Third is that Wilson's better about sliding before being hit, while Griffin keeps trying to prove how tough he is it seems.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit
reply to footballdude

said by footballdude:

said by Blogger:

Wilson keeps the ball sparingly on the option.

Seemed like Seattle used the read option play every three or four plays against Atlanta. Wilson just seems to do a better job of reading his keys instead of just taking off all the time.

I agree with all you say but I think there is bit more to it though. In addition to your clear analysis I think that Wilson also and the team have worked on Wilson being "prudent" and disciplined on his reads. He gives it to his excellent running back often even when he has a better opening. The "opening" isn't all ways necessarily only open via one option or the other. There are times that even though Wilson would be a good choice to run on the option he still elects to pitch or hand the ball off. Again that's by design. He tends to run more on key third downs and to just keep the defense honest or when there is a giant lane and he will be able to get down at the end without taking the big hit.

He also uses the option as a fake to setup a called pass. It allows his receivers more time to run a variety of routes, with more gaps available including extra time for deep routes.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

said by Draiman:

Even Tebow who is a way better runner then RG3......

WHOOOOOT!

Wow, how did I miss this one? "WHOOOOOT" is about right.
--