spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SportsJunkie
@mchsi.com

SportsJunkie

Anon

[IA] Pace HD DVR

I am on my 3rd Pace DVR box from Mediacom. The first two died and I lost all of my saved programming. This box is starting to act funny also. You can't fast forward some shows that have been recorded and the recorded program skips and the sound flakes our at times. I currently have a Pace TDC 779X. Is this the latest version of HD DVR that MC has available. Can you request a better one? From the Dubuque, IA area.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I will be happy to look into this for you. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
kelley3249
join:2012-07-03
Dubuque, IA

kelley3249

Thanks Chad. I have logged in now and will message you.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You are welcome.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to SportsJunkie

Premium Member

to SportsJunkie
That is a really old dct. I think that was the first DVR from Pace that Mediacom used. Very loud and the blue LED that you can't see during the day but it's too bright during the night. Unfortunately unless Chad helps you you can't expect that a tech will have a specific DCT you want.
kelley3249
Dubuque, IA

kelley3249

I hope Chad can help. I really hate this DVR besides the performance issues I am having. It's hard drive is too small and the guide interface is frustrating. Any recommendations on a better DVR that MC offers?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I will do everything I can to get this issue resolved.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

drslash (banned) to SportsJunkie

to SportsJunkie
[side issue] And Mediacom thinks they can retain me as a TV customer when I hear about things like this? DirecTV installs brand new equipment with the latest technology.
kelley3249
Dubuque, IA

1 recommendation

kelley3249

drslash - it is frustrating to be a long term MC customer. My promotions just ended and I'm now paying a ridiculous amount for TV service. Internet is $49.95. Phone is $9.95. But TV is $111.70!! Taxes: $9.93. That is a total bill of $181.53!! It was $124 the prior month. I have one DVR, one additional HD receiver, digital tier, and the SportsPak. I can get all the same programming and MUCH better equipment from DirectTV for around $65 a month for the first two years and then around $85 thereafter. I'm not saying that DirectTV doesn't have their own issues but MC isn't even the same ballpark as DirectTV as far as price/equipment/programming. I have been a long time customer and prefer to stay. But, they are going to need to get me a better DVR and be reasonable on price. It will just be MUCH cheaper for me to keep internet/phone with MC and move my TV to DirectTV.

I called to get some price help and am told they can give me 10% discount of TV programming for 6 months which amounts to about $6 a month. Really, $6 a month? I tell the CSR that just isn't good enough and I'm told to cancel my TV service for 3 months so they can then give me a "new customer promotion" which "is really a good deal". Really? I'm supposed to go without TV service (we don't get over the air reception in Dubuque, IA) for three months so I can then magically re-qualify for new customer status. Wow, that makes me feel valued as a long term customer. Why even have a 'loyalty' dept to help retain customers if it is only geared toward getting new customers? It just leaves such a bad taste in your mouth you want to dump everything with them. It's like the have figured that if people haven't left by now then they will probably never leave.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

1 recommendation

Lazy Senior to drslash

to drslash
said by drslash:

[side issue] DirecTV installs brand new equipment with the latest technology.

In addition Directv has some really good DVR's. I have MC for Internet and have looked at MC's TV offerings but their DVR's are in the stone age.Even worse their prices are even more than Directv. It would not be so bad if the crummy Pace DVR's did not cost so much to use.

I have Directv and a HR34 Genie DVR. It has 5 tuners and a 2 TB hardrive and many other top notch features. You would have to really be a hardcore TV addict to fill it up.
Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior to kelley3249

to kelley3249
said by kelley3249:

It will just be MUCH cheaper for me to keep internet/phone with MC and move my TV to DirectTV.

Here is what I have done for the past 17 years. I churn. I have had Directv, Dish, Mediacom,and Comcast as TV providers. I sign up for a 2 year contract getting huge new customer discounts and new equiptment. At the end of the contract I approach the company asking another 2 year discounted deal. Rarely do I get one. So I churn. I go to another different provider and get the new customer discount. And then I do it all over again. I have been with Mediacom once, Comcast once, Directv 5 times and Dish 2 times.

FWIW both Dish and Directv have superior offerings compared to the cable companies and they are cheaper with much better equipment.
kelley3249
Dubuque, IA

1 edit

kelley3249 to SportsJunkie

to SportsJunkie
Well, the tech just left and replaced by buggy Pace TDC 779X with a Pace TDC 778X. Really?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

That one is a little bit better but I still recommend using component/composite cables and not using HDMI at all.
Anonymous88

Anonymous88 to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
AFAIK DirecTV leases their equipment so eventually they will start recycling their equipment.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by Anonymous88:

AFAIK DirecTV leases their equipment so eventually they will start recycling their equipment.

I have been Directv customer 5 different times. Yep you read that right 5 new different installs. Every time I got NEW equipment and always the latest and greatest. Installs and equipment was always free but with a 2 year contract with a minimum of a Basic Programming package.

I think they recycle equipment to replacements to existing in contract customers - not new customers.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

OK but it still does not mean you are guaranteed to get new hardware every single time. You can't blame companies for recycling. These DCTs can cost $500 or so each and it just does not make any sense to trash them after you get done with your 2 year contract and cancel it (most people play the game to save money like you do).

I will say that Mediacom is using some DCTs that should have been phased out long time ago. But that's not up to me. I like new equipment too BTW

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by Anonymous88:

You can't blame companies for recycling.

Agreed. I would expect units to be re-furbished, at least getting rid of the beer stains and cigarette smell.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by Lazy Senior:

said by Anonymous88:

You can't blame companies for recycling.

Agreed. I would expect units to be re-furbished, at least getting rid of the beer stains and cigarette smell.

Or not using Sharpies to fix scratches...
kelley3249
Dubuque, IA

kelley3249 to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

That one is a little bit better but I still recommend using component/composite cables and not using HDMI at all.

Why not use HDMI? Do they cause problems?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

HDMI ports will eventually fail. You either get nothing at all or no audio. Any silver Pace DCT is older and has this issue (some more than others).

The latest DCTs from Pace (that Mediacom is using) are black

»www.pace.com/americas/pr ··· rng150n/

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to kelley3249

to kelley3249
said by kelley3249:

said by Anonymous88:

If you use composite cabling you will NOT get a HD picture. And if you use component cables you will have to use a separate cable for the audio. And if you use a Home Theater Audio Receiver then it becomes a huge pain in the butt to use component cabling along with separate audio cable.

HDMI is the standard for HD and DD5.1 audio. One should not have to use any other type of cabling. Unless you want to go back to the 90's technology.

There is no problem with modern HDMI, there may be a problem with old Mediacom equipment that was made to ancient standards.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by Lazy Senior:

said by kelley3249:

said by Anonymous88:

If you use composite cabling you will NOT get a HD picture. And if you use component cables you will have to use a separate cable for the audio. And if you use a Home Theater Audio Receiver then it becomes a huge pain in the butt to use component cabling along with separate audio cable.

HDMI is the standard for HD and DD5.1 audio. One should not have to use any other type of cabling. Unless you want to go back to the 90's technology.

There is no problem with modern HDMI, there may be a problem with old Mediacom equipment that was made to ancient standards.

hence why they should invest in new equipment. You sell hd service then tell the customer please dont use the hdmi port. Then what good is hd. Remember composites are only good to 1080i so you can't get 1080p. again mediacom is using old stuff and expects the customer to be stupid and take it.

also Dtv no dvr boxes only cost 99 to own them. I had to do this for my business. Maybe different for home but still.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

HDMI is preferred however if you get an older Pace HD DCT it may not work. Mediacom is broadcasting in 1080i only and component cables are considered HD ready. You as a customer can always go to your local office and have them check if they have a better DCT.

Tech don't get that. They have to use whatever they get.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by Anonymous88:

HDMI is preferred however if you get an older Pace HD DCT it may not work. Mediacom is broadcasting in 1080i only and component cables are considered HD ready. You as a customer can always go to your local office and have them check if they have a better DCT.

Tech don't get that. They have to use whatever they get.

Are cables supplied by Mediacom?

If I had an HD DCT and the HDMI failed I would call customer service and expect another HD DCT with working HDMI be installed. Isn't this how a typical equipment failure would be handled?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Yes. But I have no choice but to use whatever equipment I was issued. When there is a shortage of HD equipment they will issue whatever they have. Do you really think I like installing old DCTs in people's homes?

They no longer get these DCTs. All of the newer ones have zero problems with HDMI. in Des Moines there was no HD equipment at all for most of December. At this time they are completely out of HD equipment again. They have NONE.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

Remember composites are only good to 1080i so you can't get 1080p.

NOT TRUE. USE Google for correct answers not Anonymous posters on a forum or Mediacom Techs. Composite video outputs only support SD up to 480i. Component Video outputs will support HD up to 1080P. This depends on the TV and source but the standard is 1080P capable I have tested Component video vs HDMI video many times and I see little difference. Of course component video does not carry the audio signal and component uses 3 cables.

If your goal is HD video do not use composite video outputs!!!!!!
Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

in Des Moines there was no HD equipment at all for most of December. At this time they are completely out of HD equipment again. They have NONE.

This begs the Question: Why in the world would ANYONE want Mediacom TV Service? Am I the only one that hates SD video.
kelley3249
Dubuque, IA

kelley3249 to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

They no longer get these DCTs. All of the newer ones have zero problems with HDMI. in Des Moines there was no HD equipment at all for most of December. At this time they are completely out of HD equipment again. They have NONE.

Wow, that is just absurd for a CABLE COMPANY.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

said by GLIMMER:

Remember composites are only good to 1080i so you can't get 1080p.

NOT TRUE. USE Google for correct answers not Anonymous posters on a forum or Mediacom Techs. Composite video outputs only support SD up to 480i. Component Video outputs will support HD up to 1080P. This depends on the TV and source but the standard is 1080P capable I have tested Component video vs HDMI video many times and I see little difference. Of course component video does not carry the audio signal and component uses 3 cables.

If your goal is HD video do not use composite video outputs!!!!!!

hey i ment component and put composite lol I still only use hdmi cables heck there cheap these days.
kelley3249
Dubuque, IA

kelley3249

I am done with MC TV. I am on my 3rd Pace DVR with them and they are all just old piles of junk with very limited memory. I can't wait years for MediaCom to get new equipment. Thank you MediaComChad for trying.

With my promotions ending it is cheaper for me to switch to D-TV. They have MUCH better equipment. (whole house DVR anyone!) Their interface/guide on the DVR is better and easier to use. Equitable programming package is cheaper. I have been with MC since 2005 but there is just no reason for me to stay at this point.